Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
So, looks like the 5x points for supermarkets/restaurants is going away with the new cards. But the bog-standard HH Amex will keep the 5x (according to the letter). I guess I could keep the card in my wallet just for these situations, unless I'm missing something.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Abidjan
So, looks like the 5x points for supermarkets/restaurants is going away with the new cards. But the bog-standard HH Amex will keep the 5x (according to the letter). I guess I could keep the card in my wallet just for these situations, unless I'm missing something.
That's what we're going to do - we currently have 2 Surpass and 1 bog standard (it's blue, not sure it has a name) HH cards - we want to get rid of both Surpass, get one Aspire, and keep the free blue one for the supermarket spend.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You might want to look into whether the upcoming Hilton Aspire card would work better for you (than Ascend). It needs no spend at all for the annual free weekend night cert, but it needs the right kind of spend to get a reasonable "effective AF", since it starts with a $450 AF but has multiple annual statement credits of different kinds of specific spend (a couple hundred here for gift cards from certain airlines, a couple hundred there for a resort stay, etc) which may or may not work for and may or may not bring your actual cost down to $95 or less (plus how much does not having to do 10k of spend save you?), and by the way it comes with not Gold but Diamond HH status. Oh, plus a bunch of Priority Pass day passes.

So for those who don't like $10k to $15k change of spend for the free weekend cert on the Reserve->Ascend, you may want to do the math to see if the Aspire might work better for you.
Another problem with the spend for the free night is that Am Ex is not nearly as well accepted as Visa so depending on the places a person uses the card it could be even harder to get that spend if they don't accept Am Ex.

One advantage to being diamond for free can be using it for status matches. I know Hyatt won't give usually give out a flat out status match but does have a rare promo once in a while and they want your account statement so someone that doesn't stay at Hilton's much probably wouldn't get status matched to Hyatt. But it would work for Best Western and IHG. I haven't stayed at a best western in years and continue to get my Hilton diamond status matched. I haven't tried it with IHG for a while but I'm told they will match you to Platinum as a Hilton diamond pretty easily.

If it's just a free night someone wants I'd recommend the IHG card instead. You get Platinum status and a free night with no minimum spend and the certificates are pretty easy to use at even high priced IHG.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Got an official letter from Amex today about the transfer.
Bottom line:

1. No credit check
2. No change to credit limit
More info at https://www.americanexpress.com/hiltontransfer
Thank you for this. I already have the Surpass/Ascend card and just got the Citi Costco Card so I am all set with regards to this transition. I just need to close the Citi Reserve card I have before the transition to Amex so I dont end up with two Ascend Cards. The only thing I am waiting for is for my $40k spend on the Hilton Reserve to renew my Diamond status for another year.

Does anyone know how long this usually takes to reflect after the end of the year? Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Excellent, thanks for confirming. When the dust settles, I'll be right with you - - one blue, one Aspire.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That's what we're going to do - we currently have 2 Surpass and 1 bog standard (it's blue, not sure it has a name) HH cards - we want to get rid of both Surpass, get one Aspire, and keep the free blue one for the supermarket spend.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Both the no-fee and Ascend cards continues the 5/6X points for grocery, fuel, and restaurants.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
Both the no-fee and Ascend cards continues the 5/6X points for grocery, fuel, and restaurants.
Yes, but the Aspire does not have the supermarkets. We eat a lot. So if we want the Aspire for the other benefits, we need to also keep the free Blue for that.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If you do high spend in grocery stores, you may want to consider getting Aspire AND keeping one of the Ascend accounts open.
$1,250/month spend = $15,000/year.
On free blue card this spend gets you 15,000 x 5x = 75,000 Hilton points.
No annual fee/no additional benefits.
On Ascend card this spend gets you 15,000 x 6x = 90,000 Hilton points.
Extra 15,000 points bonus x .005 = $75 conservative value.
So, for the $95 annual fee you get $75 in points PLUS a free night certificate.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
If you do high spend in grocery stores, you may want to consider getting Aspire AND keeping one of the Ascend accounts open.
Good points, and we'll have to do the math for us. Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:50 am

I called and ask for supervisor.
"Why?"
I told them I want to discuss options on my card.
"OK"
Got supervisor after 20 min. Then I ask for suprevisor in the US
"OK"
Got supervisor in US after 20 min.

ask how he could help me. I explain. He said that my card would NOT be converted to Amex (this is after I got letter stating that my card would be converted to Amex). And that it would be converted to Thank You preferred. "Another letter will be forthcoming."

I am happy now. THANK YOU!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I still haven't received a letter as to what is going on with my Citi reserve. I don't want a Thank you card.

I'd rather the new card not give out a bunch of bonus Hilton points since that will probably mean another deval.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Red face

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Interesting. Compare to the 3% cash back (JCB & others) where ROI for $15k/yr = $450 cash.

Compare to 90k HH x .005 = $450 value.

So is the free night worth $95 AF? Does the free night have category restrictions like Chase Marriott and Hyatt certs? If so much less useful due to category creep.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'd rather the new card not give out a bunch of bonus Hilton points since that will probably mean another deval.
Compared to what Citi used to give with its HH cards until about a year and a half ago, Amex will never be able give out that many as long they keep the "once in a lifetime" rule:
I got several dozen HH cards over a few years over at Citi, 40k (to occasionally 60k) a pop. That's not possible with Amex: even if the bonuses are 100k to 125k, they're only once per card.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Interesting. Compare to the 3% cash back (JCB & others) where ROI for $15k/yr = $450 cash.

Compare to 90k HH x .005 = $450 value.

So is the free night worth $95 AF? Does the free night have category restrictions like Chase Marriott and Hyatt certs? If so much less useful due to category creep.
I've always received a lot more than $95 value out of the certificate. There is no category cap like there is with Hyatt (the only Hyatt's I have found the certificate to be useful at are the Chicago Hyatt on Wacker or one in downtown Seattle, you can't use it any NYC Hyatt's). I have used it at expensive Hilton properties like the Bentley and the Waldorf in London and the Paris Opera Hilton when rates were around $500 a night. The problem with the Hilton certificate is that there has to be a standard room rate available but I've always had good luck calling the diamond desk.

The hotel credit card with the best free room deal is the IHG card.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I still haven't received a letter as to what is going on with my Citi reserve. I don't want a Thank you card.

I received a letter in today's mail from American Express stating I will get a Ascend with $95.00 AF, same credit limit, and no credit pull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.