Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I did my first overseas trip with the Amex Surpass card (used it to get my reward spend). I only used it on lodging, but those FTF added up pretty quickly. I incurred about $35 in FTF. I used the Reserve card for other purchases. If Amex doesn't do something about the FTF, the value proposition of using that card for lodging overseas drops. I have already paid the difference in annual fees between the reserve and the surpass and that was on only one trip.

Watching this closely to see whether it necessitates a switch to a non hotel branded credit card, which changes the hotel preferences as well.
Just curious, if you have both cards, why didn't you use the reserve card overseas instead of the Am Ex? Even on the delta card which has no FTF, the exhcange rate isn't as good as Citi's or Chase.

If Am Ex does waive the FTF fee in January on the new product or the Surpass I'll probably use the card for just Hilton charges overseas. If they don't I'm using my Chase Saphire reserve that has no FTF and will give me 4.5 percent back for travel I can use on almost any airline
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Just curious, if you have both cards, why didn't you use the reserve card overseas instead of the Am Ex? Even on the delta card which has no FTF, the exhcange rate isn't as good as Citi's or Chase.

If Am Ex does waive the FTF fee in January on the new product or the Surpass I'll probably use the card for just Hilton charges overseas. If they don't I'm using my Chase Saphire reserve that has no FTF and will give me 4.5 percent back for travel I can use on almost any airline
Good question. I needed to use it to meet my spend on the Surpass to get the 100K Bonus. So, I knew it going in that I was going to incur those FTF. And decided it was worth it to meet the $3K in 3 month spend. But, without those reasons, it would not make as much sense.

This was a fun week in Spain, but I did not stay at a Hilton branded hotel (no Hilton properties in the cities I was staying). So, I can't even say the 12x points helped offset it.

On my next trip next year, the Reserve will be gone. So, I will either have to get another CC without a FTF if I want to use it for hotel stays (especially non Hiltons) outside of the US or hope Amex comes up with a Hilton card without FTF.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Good question. I needed to use it to meet my spend on the Surpass to get the 100K Bonus. So, I knew it going in that I was going to incur those FTF. And decided it was worth it to meet the $3K in 3 month spend. But, without those reasons, it would not make as much sense.

This was a fun week in Spain, but I did not stay at a Hilton branded hotel (no Hilton properties in the cities I was staying). So, I can't even say the 12x points helped offset it.

On my next trip next year, the Reserve will be gone. So, I will either have to get another CC without a FTF if I want to use it for hotel stays (especially non Hiltons) outside of the US or hope Amex comes up with a Hilton card without FTF.
Makes sense then if the points are worth more than the FTF fee. Spain is a great country, was the first country I ever went to in Europe.

If you have a lot of travel expenses a good credit card is the Chase Sapphire. Travel and restaurant charges get you 3 points per $1 charged and each point is worth 1 penny and if you charge you use the points for travel on the chase portal each point is worth 1.5 cents so you are getting 4.5 cents per $ on travel and the travel category is very generous and even includes parking charges and uber. The car insurance coverage is good, free priority pass and one global entry or precheck every five years and not FTF and a decent exchange rate on overseas purchases. Biggest drawback is a $450 annual fee but you get a $300 credit for travel charges so it amounts to $150 a year.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Makes sense then if the points are worth more than the FTF fee. Spain is a great country, was the first country I ever went to in Europe.

If you have a lot of travel expenses a good credit card is the Chase Sapphire. Travel and restaurant charges get you 3 points per $1 charged and each point is worth 1 penny and if you charge you use the points for travel on the chase portal each point is worth 1.5 cents so you are getting 4.5 cents per $ on travel and the travel category is very generous and even includes parking charges and uber. The car insurance coverage is good, free priority pass and one global entry or precheck every five years and not FTF and a decent exchange rate on overseas purchases. Biggest drawback is a $450 annual fee but you get a $300 credit for travel charges so it amounts to $150 a year.
CSP + Freedom (old version), which offers a rotating 5x quarterly bonus, Q317 was restaurants.

Taking a leisure trip next weekend, wanted to use awards for hotel. Standard room at the preferred Hilton property is 70k Honors points, booking same room "with cash" in the Chase UR travel portal is 22k URs per night. Even though my stockpile of Honors points is currently a bit lower than Chase URs, I cannot bring myself to use the former when there is such a disparity. While Honors treats both equally for Diamond re-qualification, using the Chase URs will also accrue Honors points.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
CSP + Freedom (old version), which offers a rotating 5x quarterly bonus, Q317 was restaurants.

Taking a leisure trip next weekend, wanted to use awards for hotel. Standard room at the preferred Hilton property is 70k Honors points, booking same room "with cash" in the Chase UR travel portal is 22k URs per night. Even though my stockpile of Honors points is currently a bit lower than Chase URs, I cannot bring myself to use the former when there is such a disparity. While Honors treats both equally for Diamond re-qualification, using the Chase URs will also accrue Honors points.
And if you transfer the 5 percent freedom bonus spend points to the CSR that comes out to 7.5 percent back if you use it on travel. I know someone that does that with the chase freedom unlimited for 2.25% back for travel after transferring to the CSR but he has a lot of costco spend so makes sense for him but for me I'd rather have the 2% back on the Citi Double Cash card.

If you use the Chase travel portal for Hilton stays do they treat it like a cash stay and gave you the perks? I was under the impression if you booked through a third party site you didn't get the benefits.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:23 am

I have just been charged a new annual fee of USD95. IF Citi gives me a new card at the end of the year that I don't like and will cancel, will they pro-rate the annual fee and give me a refund?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I have just been charged a new annual fee of USD95. IF Citi gives me a new card at the end of the year that I don't like and will cancel, will they pro-rate the annual fee and give me a refund?
The T&Cs of the card says they will.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
And if you transfer the 5 percent freedom bonus spend points to the CSR that comes out to 7.5 percent back if you use it on travel. I know someone that does that with the chase freedom unlimited for 2.25% back for travel after transferring to the CSR but he has a lot of costco spend so makes sense for him but for me I'd rather have the 2% back on the Citi Double Cash card.

If you use the Chase travel portal for Hilton stays do they treat it like a cash stay and gave you the perks? I was under the impression if you booked through a third party site you didn't get the benefits.
Believe it is a function of the rate, portal. I often book discounted rooms for conferences through the event portal, always receive points, bennies. Chase portal has an option to add Honors account number, so I am somewhat optimistic. Stay happens to be at a Waldorf Astoria property, so there is little in the way of perks anyway, third night of the stay is booked with a Citi free weekend night, which should help.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by sdsearch
...Maybe the Reserve card will be converted to an Amex-issued card, but the no-fee card will stay at Citi and convert to something else Citi?

Of course, it's just one more rumor, and an announcement would be far better than more rumors.
Wanna hear another rumor? Actually my husband and I just spoke with a supervisor in customer service at Citibank. My husband has the no fee card and was wondering if the credit limit on his card could be transferred to another Citibank Visa, like maybe the Costco Visa. The supervisor confirmed that my husband's card is going to be converted to an American Express card and said that due to the terms of the agreement with Hilton it will not be possible to transfer the existing credit limit to another Citibank card. Our only option would be to apply for a new Citibank card from scratch.

The lady said that mailings with information about all of this were scheduled to start going out in mid October and that additional mailings will go out in November. Presumably those mailings will tell us what our options are if any.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Wanna hear another rumor? Actually my husband and I just spoke with a supervisor in customer service at Citibank. My husband has the no fee card and was wondering if the credit limit on his card could be transferred to another Citibank Visa, like maybe the Costco Visa. The supervisor confirmed that my husband's card is going to be converted to an American Express card and said that due to the terms of the agreement with Hilton it will not be possible to transfer the existing credit limit to another Citibank card. Our only option would be to apply for a new Citibank card from scratch.

The lady said that mailings with information about all of this were scheduled to start going out in mid October and that additional mailings will go out in November. Presumably those mailings will tell us what our options are if any.
If this rumor is true I wish I knew what Am Ex was going to with people existing accounts and credit lines. If Am Ex isn't going to take the current Reserve credit line into consideration when issuing the new card and/or not give any more credit to existing Am Ex hilton card holders then I'd like to transfer the reserve credit line over to my citi double cash card.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
If this rumor is true I wish I knew what Am Ex was going to with people existing accounts and credit lines. If Am Ex isn't going to take the current Reserve credit line into consideration when issuing the new card and/or not give any more credit to existing Am Ex hilton card holders then I'd like to transfer the reserve credit line over to my citi double cash card.
I have gotten the same response. No option to transfer credit line and the account will definitively be sent to Amex.
I am hoping that the letter will reveal better options, as I don't need another Hilton Amex
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:54 pm

If Amex card is the answer, should I apply for Amex Reserve Hilton card now to get the bonus enrollment points. I assume the Citi to Amex transfer won't come with sign-up bonus.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
If Amex card is the answer, should I apply for Amex Reserve Hilton card now to get the bonus enrollment points. I assume the Citi to Amex transfer won't come with sign-up bonus.
The Amex Card is Surpass, not Reserve.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
The Amex Card is Surpass, not Reserve.
and possibly the "ascend" as of 1/1/2018
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Is it AMEX, or Hilton, holding onto the 3% FTF as though they were going bankrupt in waiving it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.