Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Your Citi account is going to be closed anyway by Jan 31. There'll be no difference if you close it yourself a few weeks earlier. Plus, if you close it now you should be able to avoid an Amex account being opened for you. Having a new account opened definitely will affect how various issuers decide to extend you credit in the near future.
This is such a hot mess. I waited till last week to call and close my citi hilton card. And guess what? I received the new AMEX hilton card in the mail.

So even if I do not activate this card, AMEX will no longer qualify me for a bonus sign up because they already have filed this as a new account in my credit report right?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I wrote to CITI last October when this was announced and stated I did not want anyone opening up a credit line for me. I also closed my CITI this month and did a chat and recorded call, both promised I would not get an AMEX card. Guess what I got today? I wrote return to sender on the envelope and put it back in the mail. I cannot believe they can go against your written request and lie to you on top of it. This will end up in a class action somewhere.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kathiel
I wrote to CITI last October when this was announced and stated I did not want anyone opening up a credit line for me. I also closed my CITI this month and did a chat and recorded call, both promised I would not get an AMEX card. Guess what I got today? I wrote return to sender on the envelope and put it back in the mail. I cannot believe they can go against your written request and lie to you on top of it. This will end up in a class action somewhere.
Maybe you should contact AMEX execs on your/our behalf since you have proof. Executive Contacts on link below:

American Express customer service contacts
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Weird. I thought the HHonors card was being shut down. My $95 annual fee just posted.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txpenny
Weird. I thought the HHonors card was being shut down. My $95 annual fee just posted.
It changed from Dec 31 2017 to Jan 30 2018 as the official end date (as of a couple months ago).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Quite shocked to find a new Amex waiting for me today after returning from London. I guess after 20 years I am off the blacklist LOL. Doubt it will be too useful as I pretty much avoid Hilton since the great devaluation and the most useful Amex benefits (e.g. Amex airport lounges) aren't available with the free card.

And as GLEFF noted in his blog, you generally get better ROI by charging to a Chase CSR card and getting 3x points.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Has it been confirmed when the free night certificate will be posted for those who met the spending requirement? Will we need to wait for the anniversary date (with AmEx now) or will it be sent after the account closes? Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Has it been confirmed when the free night certificate will be posted for those who met the spending requirement? Will we need to wait for the anniversary date (with AmEx now) or will it be sent after the account closes? Thanks.
Which spending requirement? The Citi10K certificate will be sent out after the account anniversary date (just like before). The Amex 15K certificate is sent out 4-8 weeks after you meet the spending requirement. Remember: we are eligible for two free nights this year!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Which spending requirement? The Citi10K certificate will be sent out after the account anniversary date (just like before). The Amex 15K certificate is sent out 4-8 weeks after you meet the spending requirement. Remember: we are eligible for two free nights this year!
I am not sure I understand this. My anniversary is in August. I have already spent 10K but the account will be closed at the end of the month. I thought we'd get certificates from Citi this month. I don't think Citi will be e-mailing anything in August (well, October usually) because I will no longer have an account with them.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:22 am

I am not sure I understand this. My anniversary is in August. I have already spent 10K but the account will be closed at the end of the month. I thought we'd get certificates from Citi this month. I don't think Citi will be e-mailing anything in August (well, October usually) because I will no longer have an account with them.
I am not sure that I understand it either but my understanding is that I will receive two Free Night certificates this year for keeping the Ascend Card. One will come when I spend 10K at the normal time it came last year (in your case October). The other will come when I spend 15K. Your Ascend card must not be canceled in order to get both certificates.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by txpenny
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It changed from Dec 31 2017 to Jan 30 2018 as the official end date (as of a couple months ago).
The $95 annual fee on my Citi Reserve card just posted and it's listed as "MEMBERSHIP FEE JAN18-DEC18"

Kinda odd since the account goes away in a matter of days.

I am not sure that I understand it either but my understanding is that I will receive two Free Night certificates this year for keeping the Ascend Card. One will come when I spend 10K at the normal time it came last year (in your case October). The other will come when I spend 15K. Your Ascend card must not be canceled in order to get both certificates.
This is where I think the annual fee on the Citi account comes in. IIRC you must pay the AF in order to get the free night cert from prior spend on the Citi Card. Not sure what the AF situation will be with the Ascend card assuming I pay the AF on the Citi account.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The $95 annual fee on my Citi Reserve card just posted and it's listed as "MEMBERSHIP FEE JAN18-DEC18"

Kinda odd since the account goes away in a matter of days.

This is where I think the annual fee on the Citi account comes in. IIRC you must pay the AF in order to get the free night cert from prior spend on the Citi Card. Not sure what the AF situation will be with the Ascend card assuming I pay the AF on the Citi account.
Yeah, I expect to get my AF charged in November 2018 except this time my money will go to Amex. As soon as my AF hits my Amex account, my Citi Free Night will arrive in my email from Hilton.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:37 am

Having talked to Citi, I don't think that we will receive 2 certificates this year. Citi confirmed that they would not be issuing any certificates, and any spend that we had with Citi will simply count towards the US$ 15,000 spend on AmEx for the free certificate. I believe the anniversary date will remain the same. So, only those who will meet the new US$ 15,000 spend requirement (including whatever they spent on Citi) will receive a free certificate.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:44 am

Having talked to Citi, I don't think that we will receive 2 certificates this year. Citi confirmed that they would not be issuing any certificates, and any spend that we had with Citi will simply count towards the US$ 15,000 spend on AmEx for the free certificate. I believe the anniversary date will remain the same. So, only those who will meet the new US$ 15,000 spend requirement (including whatever they spent on Citi) will receive a free certificate.
I think you should read the following blog post:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/doubl...hilton-ascend/

I am expecting two free nights this year.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I think you should read the following blog post:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/doubl...hilton-ascend/

I am expecting two free nights this year.
The blog post is wrong about Citi/Hilton previously awarding the free night 6 - 8 weeks after spending $10K, you had to wait for your anniversary date regardless of how quickly you reached the spending requirement. i also think the Amex $15K clock starts 1/1 not 1/30, with Citi spending in January counting towards their $10k and the Amex $15k but that you have to reach the citi $10k before 1/30 to double up.

So I spent $10k before my 8/1 anniversary date and received the certificate around 9/1, I spent another $10k between 8/1 and 1/30 which earned me a second Citi certificate, and when I hit $15k in 2018 spending I will earn a third certificate which will be awarded 6 weeks or so after passing that threashold. So conceivably I can have three certificates in hand before I would have had two with the Citi Reserve.

​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.