Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I've never heard of that. It's not uncommon to have over a $25K credit line on just one amex and I have well over $25k in available credit with am ex and have never had a FR.
I just checked our Amex cards and I have 37,000 and my husband has 16,500 plus unlimited on the Gold card linked to our Fidelity account - neither of us have ever been approached for any sort of financial review.

On the other hand, Chase constantly asks us to "update our income" and we just ignore them.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just checked our Amex cards and I have 37,000 and my husband has 16,500 plus unlimited on the Gold card linked to our Fidelity account.
Aren't these cards issued by Fidelity itself rather than American Express though?

Also, it is my understanding that all accounts that are scheduled to be transferred to American Express will transfer in kind in terms of credit limit. I believe the $25,000 per account and overall credit limits in aggregate typically only come into play if you are the one requesting a credit limit increase when you're at or exceed these amounts.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Aren't these cards issued by Fidelity itself rather than American Express though?

Hmmm, not sure? I mean, it looks like any other Gold Amex, says American Express with the Gold Centurion and the blue Amex square on it, also says Fidelity Investments...no different than a Hilton Amex or...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:31 pm

Sorry if this question has been addressed before but we have a little dilemma in front of us. We have an AMEX Hilton Surpass card that we just found out is going to become an Ascend card. So, if we don’t cancel our Hilton Reserve Visa card, we will end up with two AMEX Hilton Ascend cards. The question is: if we cancel our Visa card/soon to become Ascend, will our free night certificate and Diamond status still be honored in 2018?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Hmmm, not sure? I mean, it looks like any other Gold Amex, says American Express with the Gold Centurion and the blue Amex square on it, also says Fidelity Investments...no different than a Hilton Amex or...
Guess what! Just got a letter from Amex stating that they will be discontinuing our Fidelity Gold card in April! That was a great card, it was no fee, and while we didn't use it that often it was great for buying theater tickets that were Amex Gold preferred pre-sales, etc. They didn't offer any substitute.

It was also one of our oldest cards (15 years) so not sure what losing that card will do to our credit...all our other cards are much newer because they have come and gone based on sign-up bonuses, etc.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
It was also one of our oldest cards (15 years) so not sure what losing that card will do to our credit...all our other cards are much newer because they have come and gone based on sign-up bonuses, etc.
As long as you aren't carrying a balance there will be no immediate effect. A closed card stays on your credit report for 10 years before disappearing. By that time, those other accounts will have increased in age as well.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
As long as you aren't carrying a balance there will be no immediate effect. A closed card stays on your credit report for 10 years before disappearing. By that time, those other accounts will have increased in age as well.
Oh good, thanks. We also have 3 other Amex cards with perfect records so I'm sure that's good, too.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:29 pm

Fun part for me is I have had to initiate two disputes on charges that I made a while back for a prepaid service that was ultimately never delivered (and the company just shut off all communication channels). I already paid for the charges but it let me dispute one transaction online still (and I sent a letter for a second). Hopefully they don't reverse the disputes after the AMEX transfer; otherwise, it might be a hassle to pay them back.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:47 am

So, I had been traveling and came home to find the new card (Ascend, to replace Citi Reserve) in the mail. I figured that that was a done deal so I might as well activate it. Went to do so and received the message below. So, this certainly seems to imply that the card is not yet live and that if I cancel the Reserve soon I can avoid having this product - right? Of course, since I had a Surpass back in the day and thus can't get any bonus, I might just let it transfer anyhow.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I’m going to miss the Citi Price Rewind benefit. Ended up getting money back through it for my holiday purchases this year.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chix
I already have the Hilton Honors Citi Card. I also have Amex Surpass and have no need for another card whether identical or similar.

So I deceided to cancel the Citi Card last month so that it does not convert to Amex.

I received a letter in the mail from Amex today. The letter reiterates what the Citi letter said to expect.

However, what bothers me is the letter goes as far as assigning a NEW Amex account number xxxxx91006. It says the card will automatically be mailed in January.

Obviously I don’t want the card and more important, do not want a new account showing up on my credit and that is why I cancelled early.

I called the special Amex # on the letter and was connected to an offshore agent.

She said no worries.... that “the system” will recognize in January that I cancelled with Citi and a new Amex Card will not be sent.

I asked for that in writing and she said they can’t but will document the notes from the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor and she said that the supervisor will not be able to put in writing either. Supposedly a sup will call me within 24-48 hours.

I have zero confidence at this point that my request to not issue a new Card will be honored given that an Amex account has already been assigned in this letter.

Any suggestions?
Just notified via credit monitoring that a new American Express account has been opened.

What a bunch of lies they told me as far as if I canceled the Citi Hilton Visa a couple months ago that I would NOT be sent the new American Express replacement.

And of course, a supervisor never called me back in November.

American Express sucks!

Now I will have two closed accounts on credit report because of this debacle.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:17 am

What does this transfer mean in terms of annual spend? Is the January spend on Citi being added to the rest of the year's spend on Amex?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmkizer
What does this transfer mean in terms of annual spend? Is the January spend on Citi being added to the rest of the year's spend on Amex?
I think Lauren (the Hilton FT rep) posted yes.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:14 am

I too "Just notified via credit monitoring that a new American Express account has been opened." I haven't received the card yet. Just what I need a 3rd Amex
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys do know taht a couple of months down the line you could call Amex, say that you would prefer a different product and most likely get it switched over right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.