Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by freeflyin
Agreed and it's pretty frustrating. I wonder if the lack of info is part of the Amex contract, because they don't want folks closing accounts before they convert.

Each time I contact Citi, I am given the same answer-your account will be sent to Amex and information will be sent before the end of the year.
That's all I would expect from Citi.

I wish Hilton and/or Amex would announce how the Surpass card will function in 2018. If it's not going to be enhanced at all from what we have today, that will be highly disappointing.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Just got the Surpass to head off a conversion. Don’t want to lose the points bonus if this goes the way I think it will. Torn on whether or not I should close my Reserve. May be a new AMEX card with a free night? Hate to lose a Visa. I have too many MCs
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by spankytoes
Just got the Surpass to head off a conversion. Don’t want to lose the points bonus if this goes the way I think it will. Torn on whether or not I should close my Reserve. May be a new AMEX card with a free night? Hate to lose a Visa. I have too many MCs
I'd keep the surpass if you have the $10K spend in to avoid the possibility of losing the free night. I'm hoping if citi does convert it to a new product and I close the account (or if they just transfer it to an Am Ex product) that there are no problems with getting the free night on my anniversary date.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:18 pm

About to hit my $10K spend for the year in about 2 months, to ensure I get my 1 free night regardless of what happens. Now, I hope it changes to a different Citi card so I can get the annual certificate now, get an Amex Hilton bonus, and get another certificate next year. One benefit would be having 2 weekend certs, so it can actually be a weekend getaway instead of just a night.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Here’s part of a response to a question I posed to Citi earlier this week, whenI asked if part of my annual fee would be refunded to me (no).

please note that your account will not be closing on 12/31/2017. It will be converting/merging to an American Express branded card and will handled by a different bank at that time. Accounts in good standing will be moved to a new card account and will not lose the ability to make purchases. Citi will communicate the new credit card information including anticipated delivery dates and any other pertinent details related to your account prior to the end of this year.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sannmann
Here’s part of a response to a question I posed to Citi earlier this week, whenI asked if part of my annual fee would be refunded to me (no).
Do you think we will be charged another annual fee when Amex issues the new card?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Do you think we will be charged another annual fee when Amex issues the new card?
My guess is we’ll be charged when we otherwise would have been charged. My fee was last paid in May. My guess is I’ll have to pay it again in May but to Amex now.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:53 pm

I ditched my Amex Surpass; mainly because I only use the Hilton Citicard now because of the foreign exchange charges on Surpass, and didn't want to pay the annual fee. I guess I'll see what Amex does with the transfer from Citi to Amex. If there still are foreign exchange fees then I'll probably cancel the card, unless it's free. I use Hiltons mostly out of the US, and I refuse to pay 2.7% when I can use Chase Sapphire Reserve...
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sannmann
My guess is we’ll be charged when we otherwise would have been charged. My fee was last paid in May. My guess is I’ll have to pay it again in May but to Amex now.
Good. My annual fee will show up next month, so I want to wait another year to pay it again.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Gary Leff has some details about the new AMEX Hilton cards and the transition from Citi to AMEX. It looks like he's confirming that Citi Hilton cards will be converted to AMEX products and not another Citi card.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-just-signup/
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
Gary Leff has some details about the new AMEX Hilton cards and the transition from Citi to AMEX. It looks like he's confirming that Citi Hilton cards will be converted to AMEX products and not another Citi card.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-just-signup/
The no FTF makes the fee Hilton card a good card to have for overseas travel. However a lot of businesses overseas don't accept Am Ex.

With the exception of Am Ex not being widely accepted the Surpass sounds like a decent card. I really don't care about the priority pass since I have a CSR but for people without a credit card with PP this will be a nice benefit. I really like they added a business card.

I wonder how well the Aspire will do. Even for someone that travels overseas a lot $450 a year isn't worth it for diamond status. If someone is travelling enough that the $450 annual fee will pay for diamond status benefits they are probably travelling enough that they can earn diamond status through actual Hilton stays. I could see it being a good card though for business travelers who are forced to use a corporate card as opposed to expensing travel on their own card and getting reimbursed if they have a lot of Hilton stays overseas but don't have enough travel to earn diamond status. They can get the diamond benefits and if they use their free night at expensive hotels like I do that will really help offset the annual fee.

What will be interesting to see is if people want to upgrade their surpass to the Aspire. WIll they have to apply for a new card? With the credit card "reform" act a credit card issuer can't raise the annual fee within the first 12 months of having a new account and I wonder if Citi Reserve holders who had the card for over a year will be eligible to have it upgraded under those rules or if it will be considered a new account that was just opened with Am Ex.

I would love to see Hyatt start offering a credit card with diamond status and a free night. I would seriously consider getting a card with a $450 annual fee for Hyatt diamond status.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just received this email. It is official Am Ex is buying their portfolio. I wonder what will happen to Citi card holders that have defaulted on Am Ex cards and are on their blacklist. Is Am Ex going to make an exception or will they close the accounts on previous cardholders who have burned them?

Dear xxxx,

As a valued Hilton Honors member and co-branded credit card holder*, we are writing to you with some important news about Hilton’s relationship with its credit card partners. We have entered into an exclusive partnership with American Express for our Hilton Honors co-branded credit cards in the United States starting in 2018.

If you have the no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card and if you have the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Your new Card will arrive in the mail in mid-January and will be available to use starting on January 30, 2018.** Your relationship with Hilton Honors remains unchanged and you will continue to earn Hilton Honors Points on your Citi Hilton Honors Card until that time.

We want to assure you that Hilton Honors, American Express and Citi are focused on making this transition as seamless as possible. On January 30th, your Citi Hilton Honors Card will no longer be active.

We value your ongoing loyalty to Hilton Honors and are committed to providing exceptional customer service while offering our members the best, most unique experiences possible. If you have any questions, please click here.

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein

Global Head Customer Engagement, Loyalty & Partnerships
Hilton
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Just received this email. It is official Am Ex is buying their portfolio. I wonder what will happen to Citi card holders that have defaulted on Am Ex cards and are on their blacklist. Is Am Ex going to make an exception or will they close the accounts on previous cardholders who have burned them?

Dear xxxx,

As a valued Hilton Honors member and co-branded credit card holder*, we are writing to you with some important news about Hilton’s relationship with its credit card partners. We have entered into an exclusive partnership with American Express for our Hilton Honors co-branded credit cards in the United States starting in 2018.

If you have the no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card and if you have the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Your new Card will arrive in the mail in mid-January and will be available to use starting on January 30, 2018.** Your relationship with Hilton Honors remains unchanged and you will continue to earn Hilton Honors Points on your Citi Hilton Honors Card until that time.

We want to assure you that Hilton Honors, American Express and Citi are focused on making this transition as seamless as possible. On January 30th, your Citi Hilton Honors Card will no longer be active.

We value your ongoing loyalty to Hilton Honors and are committed to providing exceptional customer service while offering our members the best, most unique experiences possible. If you have any questions, please click here.

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein

Global Head Customer Engagement, Loyalty & Partnerships
Hilton
I just got that e-mail, too.

Since we already have a no-fee Amex and 2 Surpass cards, and since it seems there is no additional bonus involved with the transition, I think I will just go ahead and cancel the Citi Visa cards now.

Does this seem like the right thing to do? Any reason why I should wait?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Wondering the same thing - - canceling both my HH Visa and HH Reserve - - as I also have the Surpass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.