Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ab12345
Hey Lauren, when will Citi stop taking new applications for these cards? If you don't yet know the date, do you know if a date will be given ahead of time? Or if they could just disappear at any point between now and the end of the year? Thanks!
I just checked and they are still accepting applications - no annual fee, 40,000 bonus points if you spend $1,000 within 4 months, well before the 1/1 drop dead date.

Sounds like an easy way to pick up 40,000 H points. And who knows, maybe they will give a consolation prize for going away...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mingw
FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE: 2.7%

I travel a lot and have stayed Hilton many times since last year. unfortunately I won't even bring the card with me because of this. and you know when people travel people tend to spend more. AMEX is missing out all those charges.
Wow. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...29-10-0/?print

I'll tell ya no shot of me applying for this card next year if they don't remove this fee. No shot. My wallet is full of cards with no foreign transaction fee. Why would anyone accept that if they travel internationally nowadays?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wow. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...29-10-0/?print

I'll tell ya no shot of me applying for this card next year if they don't remove this fee. No shot. My wallet is full of cards with no foreign transaction fee. Why would anyone accept that if they travel internationally nowadays?
If you live in LA (still America last time I checked), and you already have a wallet full of cards you can use internationally, why NOT keep this one for domestic travel? Even if you don't "travel" domestically, 6x points at supermarkets, gas stations, restaurants...why not? You DO eat and drive in LA, don't you?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:40 pm

My question (besides the one on the free night, which Citi said would be honored if $10k was reached by 12/31) is why this wasn't announced before AMEX's offer of 100k points for upgrading to the Surpass card expired on May 31. Seems suspicious (if not just bad) timing.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi agprint,

Yes, as long as you have met the spend requirements this year, you should receive your weekend night certificates within 4-6 weeks after the close of the payment cycle in which the spend requirement was met. The free night is then valid 12 months from the date of issuance.

Enjoy your stay this weekend!
Lauren
Lauren - I may not have expressed myself clearly. I am referring to the $10K spend for the ANNIVERSARY free weekend night certificate. In the past this certificate is not sent until after you have reached your card member year anniversary. This past year I met my spend requirement in early December, but did not receive my certificate until Feb 18th. Next Feb will be AFTER the conclusion of the Hilton Honors Citi card program. So, with that additional info, can you tell me if indeed I will get the certificate - even after Jan 1, 2018? Many thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Also fingers crossed that a business version of the Hilton Amex might get introduced....
I've been wanting this for years.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Grog
I, on the other hand, loathe Citi and am satisfied with this development--proof that Hilton has a diverse customer base.
No doubt about that! Which is why it was great when Hilton partnered with both financial institutions - we could choose the one that fitted our travel patterns more. As many here, I am very unhappy about the foreign exchange fee that AmEx charges.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If you live in LA (still America last time I checked), and you already have a wallet full of cards you can use internationally, why NOT keep this one for domestic travel? Even if you don't "travel" domestically, 6x points at supermarkets, gas stations, restaurants...why not? You DO eat and drive in LA, don't you?
Because I don't already have the card. I'm less likely to apply for one that I will solely use for a small portion of spend since it requires an annual fee. If it didn't have the annual fee, I may do as you suggest. But this card, even with the bonuses isn't better than the Starwood card for domestic purchases. Starwood nets more points to consumers (inclusive of spend v redemption). So it'd be solely used for domestic Hilton stays. Not worth it imo, although I might reconsider depending on domestic Hilton stay patterns for 2018.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Looks like the Citi ThankYou Premier Card is a good Visa substitute. Comes with same coverage as the Citi Visa HHonors product and is the same annual fee ($95). Also, you can transfer Citi points over to HHonors at no charge...also includes travel insurance and no ForEx fee.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-thankyou-premier-credit-card&category=view-all-credit-cards&afc=1C2&intc=7~7~67~1~MCT~1~citi-thankyou-premier-credit-card~4MMZ5SR731C2L10202W
The ThankYou Premier is a World Elite MasterCard.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:57 am

Hi jimmac,

Good question. The team I work with focuses on U.S.-based cards so while I can’t speak to international cards, I’ll be happy to forward along to the right point of contact and be sure to let them know you’re interested.

Thanks!
Lauren
Thanks for the reply, Lauren. Please do pass along my contact as I would be very interested in any news on a possible HH card in Canada.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by agprint
Lauren - I may not have expressed myself clearly. I am referring to the $10K spend for the ANNIVERSARY free weekend night certificate. In the past this certificate is not sent until after you have reached your card member year anniversary. This past year I met my spend requirement in early December, but did not receive my certificate until Feb 18th. Next Feb will be AFTER the conclusion of the Hilton Honors Citi card program. So, with that additional info, can you tell me if indeed I will get the certificate - even after Jan 1, 2018? Many thanks.
@agprint-- Lauren replied to my question, which is similar to yours:

Hi coffee18,

Completely understand, and as mentioned in an earlier post, we’re aware that there are members out there who will meet the spend requirement for the free night certificate after December 31, 2017. We’re working on a solution that’s fair to cardholders and will update you as soon as we have the solution.

Thanks,
Lauren
In other words they are trying to figure this out. Thanks Lauren!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
The ThankYou Premier is a World Elite MasterCard.
TYP is also going through its own mini-devaluation, with AA flight redemptions getting more expensive in the next few weeks (?).

I have a couple TYP cards and looked at them as relatively decent no-FX-fee cards that came with some other benefits (one of mine has lounge access, for example). Since I fly AA pretty regularly, I just think of them as cashback cards. As soon as I hit a couple hundred bucks' worth of points, I spend them on a flight.

My guess is that Chase's Sapphire card is better for most people...if you want a home-grown-points type of card that redeems for travel and transfers into other types of points.

In 6 months, I'll be entirely out of TYP. I'm likely to cancel one card and turn the other one into a Costco Visa. The end of the AAdmiral's Club partnership kills most of the value I was getting from my one lounge-access card.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
"Pet" coverage??? I was speaking of trip delay and trip cancellation coverage. Not sure what you mean.
I originally posted that the Trip insurance currently offered automagically by the Citi Hilton (Visa Signature Card), has a "covered reason" that includes if your Pet gets sick or something.

I've yet to see any other insurance provided on any other credit card to have this as a "covered reason" (YOU getting sick or someone travelling with you, yes).

As such, since the Amex Surpass card does not have this as a covered reason, it would mean that I'd have to purchase a third party policy with "cancel for any reason" coverage which is a minimum of $200 almost every time I've checked.

(quoting from the Citi Hilton Travel Protection PDF thingy):
"Covered Reasons: Illness or Personal Matters:
The Covered Traveler(s) becomes sick or injured, and is advised by a licensed medical practitioner not to travel.
The Covered Traveler(s) is advised by a licensed medical practitioner not to travel after the purchase date of the Trip due to a medical advisory issued by a health or government agency, that directly affects the Covered Traveler’s Trip Destination.
The Covered Traveler’s Family Member, not traveling on the Trip, has an injury or illness that is either life threatening or requires care from the Covered Traveler(s) and is verified by a licensed medical practitioner.
The Covered Traveler’s Pet, has an injury or serious illness that is either life threatening or requires care and is verified by a licensed veterinarian. Pet(s) means any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately."
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Hi SLL,

Thanks for posting/sharing. Yes, so long as you meet the spend qualifications, you’ll attain your Hilton Honors status through the date the status is currently set to expire. Also yes, as long as you’ve met the spend requirements within the required timeframe, you should receive your weekend night certificates within 4-6 weeks after the close of the payment cycle in which the spend requirement was met.

Thanks,
Lauren
Lauren,
This answer is a little in clear. Could you please confirm that if one meets the $40,000 spend requirement on the Hilton/Citibank Reserve card in 2017 that they will in fact have Diamond status through March 31, 2019.
Thank you,
236Dakota
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Hi agprint,

Yes, as long as you have met the spend requirements this year, you should receive your weekend night certificates within 4-6 weeks after the close of the payment cycle in which the spend requirement was met. The free night is then valid 12 months from the date of issuance.

Enjoy your stay this weekend!
Lauren
Lauren,

Unfortunately this is not how the Citi Annual Weekend night certificate works - is only post one statement after the statement after the annual fee posts.

I'm in the same boat - my anniversary date is in December (which means the certificate only post in January). I'm almost done with the $10K spend (about $200 shy of it) and would like to get confirmation that the certificate will actually post, despite the expected posting day in January-February 2018, after the agreement with Citi will expire.

As timing is also important, if Hilton decides to post the certificate earlier it would be advisable to allow it to expire on the date it was supposed to expire. Or if indeed now it is going to post immediately, I'd like to know that so I can delay my expenditure on the card to time it correctly.

As someone who have many hotel certificates and stays to balance, it would not do me much good to have a certificate out of sequence, as it is already "committed" to a particular stay in the future and having it expired before that stay would mean I've spend a lot of money on the card unnecessarily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.