Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE: 2.7%

I travel a lot and have stayed Hilton many times since last year. unfortunately I won't even bring the card with me because of this. and you know when people travel people tend to spend more. AMEX is missing out all those charges.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Grog
I, on the other hand, loathe Citi and am satisfied with this development--proof that Hilton has a diverse customer base.
Hmmm.. but Amex already have 2 Hilton cards. Anyone could choose to use Amex and not Citi for Hilton. How's taking away chooses making it more diverse?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:57 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by jimmac
Lauren, what are the chances of a Hilton Hhonors - Amex Canada cobranded card in the foreseeable future?
Hi jimmac,

Good question. The team I work with focuses on U.S.-based cards so while I can’t speak to international cards, I’ll be happy to forward along to the right point of contact and be sure to let them know you’re interested.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Need
Hmmm.. but Amex already have 2 Hilton cards. Anyone could choose to use Amex and not Citi for Hilton. How's taking away chooses making it more diverse?
You connected a different set of dots than I did. Hilton's customers are diverse in many ways that aren't related to affiliated credit cards.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Need's point is a valid one though: Hilton is taking away a choice, one that many members consider important.

I'm sure this "exclusive" deal is lucrative for Hilton. But it's definitely worse for some guests, and it's sounding like neutral for the rest.

Somehow I don't hold out high hopes that the 2018 Amex is going to blend what guests consider the best parts of both cards. (No FX fee, free night at $10k, etc.)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:11 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by agprint
Hi Lauren - I was planning to once again spend $10k on my Citi Hilton Reserve Visa to get my annual free weekend night certificate. My card member anniversary date is the end of December. Last year I met the $10K spend in early December, and received my free weekend night anniversary certificate on Feb 18, 2017. (I am using the certificate this weekend!). If I meet the 10K spending requirement this year (and any other requirements) will I definitely receive an anniversary free weekend night certificate that will be good in 2018? I believe there are many members in a similar situation. Many thanks for your help.
Hi agprint,

Yes, as long as you have met the spend requirements this year, you should receive your weekend night certificates within 4-6 weeks after the close of the payment cycle in which the spend requirement was met. The free night is then valid 12 months from the date of issuance.

Enjoy your stay this weekend!
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pinniped
But it's definitely worse for some guests, and it's sounding like neutral for the rest.
How can you come to this conclusion with having no idea what the new offerings will be from American Express?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Need's point is a valid one though: Hilton is taking away a choice, one that many members consider important.

I'm sure this "exclusive" deal is lucrative for Hilton. But it's definitely worse for some guests, and it's sounding like neutral for the rest.

Somehow I don't hold out high hopes that the 2018 Amex is going to blend what guests consider the best parts of both cards. (No FX fee, free night at $10k, etc.)
What other hotel chains currently offer the choice of 2 different types of cards?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael19887
How can you come to this conclusion with having no idea what the new offerings will be from American Express?
Because I'm cynical, I guess.

Amex has *some* no-FX-fee products. It's entirely possible that we get a 2018 Amex that contains all of the features of today's Visa plus the earning rates of today's Amex. In that case, the world will have gotten a little worse for current Visa fans and a little better for current Amex fans. As a base HH Amex holder, I'd happily upgrade to the Surpass level, knowing I'd probably need that for the $10k free night, the $40k Diamond, and perhaps even the no-FX version of the card.

But I don't expect that to happen, and I expect that next year I'll be using some other card. I also hold two Marriott Visas, an SPG Amex, and a Hyatt Visa. In the next 3 months, I figure we'll all be getting notified about the future of the Marriott and/or SPG cards. It'll probably be Q4 by the time I have a good idea of what my 2018 general spend strategy will be.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Not exactly the same, but Ritz Carlton (part of SPG/Marriott) has their own Visa card:
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep2CNv2?CELL=607L&SPID=FL2T&jp_cmp=cc/na/ext/na/07L

There's also the SPG AmEx card and the regular Marriott Rewards Visa...so they have 3 card options. Do we foresee a Waldorf Astoria and Conrad branded credit card soon????

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What other hotel chains currently offer the choice of 2 different types of cards?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:35 pm

2 tiers of personal Marriott Visa
2 tiers of business Marriott Visa
Ritz Visa
SPG personal Amex
SPG business Amex

One could, in theory, stuff seven unique Marriott cards in their wallet. That would make you the biggest Marriott nerd on the planet, but I guess with juicy enough sign-up bonuses... @:-) 5 of those are Chase, and I don't know the latest rules on how fast you can earn 5 sign-up bonuses.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Marriott may once the SPG merger is complete but I doubt it. Chase has the Marriott card and Am Ex the SPG card.

I figured when the Citi reserve card came out a few years ago it meant Hilton was getting ready to sever their ties with Am Ex and I figured Am Ex would have been the one to go not Citi. It's weird Citi introduced a brand new credit card for Hilton (which for people who stay at Hiltons isgreat credit card with the free nights and no international fee) only to end the relationship a few years later.

Seeing that I am now relying on credit card spend instead of stays to remain diamond this could mean less stays with Hilton for me. I was able to meet the $40K spend easy with VISA by using it at the places that don't accept Am Ex. My Delta MQMs/status are a lot more valuable to me than diamond with Hilton so my Am Ex spend is going on the Delta cards until I meet the MQM threshold which is $240K total on the two cards (I use a personal and business plat and after I get in $50K on each upgrade to the reserve and get another $60K in on each). Wouldn't be a bad thing if Am Ex was as widely accepted as visa.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Aside from the Citi Hilton Reserve, is there another credit card that gives gold status or opportunity to earn diamond status through spend?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Aside from the Citi Hilton Reserve, is there another credit card that gives gold status or opportunity to earn diamond status through spend?
Yes, Amex has it...same $40k threshold. (The Surpass card with an annual fee.)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:53 pm

Hey Lauren, when will Citi stop taking new applications for these cards? If you don't yet know the date, do you know if a date will be given ahead of time? Or if they could just disappear at any point between now and the end of the year? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.