Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:49 pm

I really hope AMEX deliver a new card with new benefits then. I loved my Citi card because of the certificate. I was going to cancel my Surpass card this year because the benefit of the citi was better. Now I guess I have to reevaluate.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
True, but there are many other Visa cards out there that offer this coverage, you need only book a "portion" of the trip using the Visa in order to enjoy trip delay/cancellation coverage. If the new AmEx doesn't come with this, I will find a new Visa to compliment.
If you don't mind, which other VISA cards have that feature? I've not seen "Pet" coverage on any other VISA card that I have (Chase, Citi, etc.)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If an incentive is going to be offered to switch from the Citi Hilton Visa to an Amex Hilton card, what happens to those of us who already have a Hilton Amex?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't have any new questions that others upthread haven't already asked.

The Free Night that I'll have sitting in limbo as of Jan 1, 2018 is my biggest concern.

2nd concerns would be whether the 2018 Surpass version will have FX fees and a $10k Free Night component like the Visa does.

3rd question would be whether there will be an incentive period for my current no-fee older-style HH Amex to be upgraded to the Surpass level.

I really liked the Visa and am going to miss it. Honestly, my HH Amex probably won't get much use outside of Hilton hotels unless the new version is substantially different than the one today. Paying FX fees pretty much eats up all the reward value.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If an incentive is going to be offered to switch from the Citi Hilton Visa to an Amex Hilton card, what happens to those of us who already have a Hilton Amex?
Knowing Amex, you'll get a big fat nothing.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:34 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by kpbadger
My annual fee for the current Citi version is due to post soon. Any word on what will happen to these Citi accounts after January 1, 2018? Will the cards simply be closed? If so, will a prorated refund of the annual fee be provided? Or, will Citi substitute in another product? Or, will the account stay open, but just not earn any HHonors points?

I'd like to keep the card for the rest of the year; however, I'd like not to pay $95 for only 6 months of benefit.
Hi kpbadger,

We’re also aware of instances like this and are working to identify the best solution for our members. We’ll be sure to share the details in the coming months. Your relationship with Hilton Honors goes unchanged and your Hilton Honors number will remain the same.

Thanks again for your questions,
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLL
Lauren,
To confirm? If we hit the $40k will be still be Diamond for 2018?
Also our Hilton CITI anniversary is Sept so I assume we will still get the cert for 2018?
As a side note, not your fault personally, but this is indeed awful and devastating news for my family given between my wife and I for years have divided all of our spend / expenses on either the CITI Visa Hilton card ($40k) and enjoyed Diamond and the yearly Cert. and the AMEX DL Reserve card and enjoyed those offerings as well from Delta.
No way we can have 3 cards given we can’t use AMEX (DL and now Hilton) and 1 Visa for places that don’t take AMEX and reach each millstones.

Hi SLL,

Thanks for posting/sharing. Yes, so long as you meet the spend qualifications, you’ll attain your Hilton Honors status through the date the status is currently set to expire. Also yes, as long as you’ve met the spend requirements within the required timeframe, you should receive your weekend night certificates within 4-6 weeks after the close of the payment cycle in which the spend requirement was met.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I agree. Very upset about this development. If anything, I would rather Hilton continued its partnership with Citi rather than AmEx. There is nothing 'best' or 'unique' about the AmEx card.
I, on the other hand, loathe Citi and am satisfied with this development--proof that Hilton has a diverse customer base.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have the basic, no-annual-fee, full FTF version. I'm a bit confused about what exactly happens to our cards on January 1st? Will the card be invalid then? If so, how do I get my 10K points for $1,000 spend? I wouldn't mind the Surpass, but the annual fee and full FTF is ridiculous!
Hi Points Scrounger,

Hilton and Citi’s co-brand credit card relationship with Hilton continues through December 31, 2017. Between now and the end of the year, you can continue to use your card to earn Hilton Honors Points on your purchases. If you meet the spend requirements by the end of the year, you will receive your 10K Points.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coffee18
Lauren,

I think the question for a lot of us Citi Reserve owners is whether we will receive the annual free weekend night, when it's scheduled for sometime after the annual fee in 2018, regardless of whether the $10k requirement is earned in calendar year 2017 or 2018?

Thank you.
Hi coffee18,

Completely understand, and as mentioned in an earlier post, we’re aware that there are members out there who will meet the spend requirement for the free night certificate after December 31, 2017. We’re working on a solution that’s fair to cardholders and will update you as soon as we have the solution.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
"Pet" coverage??? I was speaking of trip delay and trip cancellation coverage. Not sure what you mean.

Originally Posted by hurnik
If you don't mind, which other VISA cards have that feature? I've not seen "Pet" coverage on any other VISA card that I have (Chase, Citi, etc.)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
"Pet" coverage??? I was speaking of trip delay and trip cancellation coverage. Not sure what you mean.
hurnick mentioned it in post #15 , not you.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Very disappointing news for me. A lot of places don't accept Am Ex and all my Am Ex spend goes on my Delta Am Ex.

I hope Am Ex will waive the foreign transaction fees for at least Hilton stays. If not all my foreign Hilton stays are going on another card.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Looks like the Citi ThankYou Premier Card is a good Visa substitute. Comes with same coverage as the Citi Visa HHonors product and is the same annual fee ($95). Also, you can transfer Citi points over to HHonors at no charge...also includes travel insurance and no ForEx fee.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-thankyou-premier-credit-card&category=view-all-credit-cards&afc=1C2&intc=7~7~67~1~MCT~1~citi-thankyou-premier-credit-card~4MMZ5SR731C2L10202W

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Jun 1, 2017 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
Disappointed here as well. Amex spend goes to my Delta Amex, but there's plenty of places that don't take Amex and go on my Hhonors Citi Visa.

My credit score has declined from a new mortgage and a couple other new cards I opened, so I don't want to apply for yet another card. Guess my spend will be shifting to my IHG mastercard and my stays might follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.