Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

online room maps not accurate with connecting doors

Old May 2, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.

So, as an experiment, I have been keeping accurate records including screenshots over the last 2 weeks.... I checked in on-line for all 8 hotels. 3 of them did not have anything in the online map showing a connecting door between me an the neighbor in my selected room, but on getting to the room, yep, there was a connecting door. In one of those hotels my neighbor was apparently an insomniac deaf person who had the TV turned all the way up. In another the neighbor had a foghorn for a mouth and was making 'important' phone calls most of the evening. Look I get that you aren't going to get an oasis of tranquility in a hotel, but I purposefully choose rooms without a connecting door for very sound reasons. Please respect my wishes and allow me to choose a room without this 'feature'.

Oh, and whilst I am on a whining session, please, for the love of god, clean out the drains in the bathroom on some kind of schedule. Almost every hotel I stayed in had very poor sink drainage from what appeared to be blocked drains. In one case the drain literally stunk to high heaven.

Finally, when am I going to get an upgrade? So far this year I am 1 for 34 stays on getting an upgrade. Yep, I already made Diamond for next year, but the dearth of upgrades and even recognition of my loyalty is testing my patience. I fact it is so vexing that I have 3 Marriott bookings, 4 IHG and 2 Radisson Blu bookings in the next couple of months. See, this loyalty thing is a 2 way street.

Thanks for entertaining my rant.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanum, Hilton Gold
I'd ask if you mentioned this to the hotel or someone at Hilton, but given your experience, I'm sure you already have.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by timfountain
So, as an experiment, I have been keeping accurate records including screenshots over the last 2 weeks.... I checked in on-line for all 8 hotels. 3 of them did not have anything in the online map showing a connecting door between me an the neighbor in my selected room, but on getting to the room, yep, there was a connecting door. In one of those hotels my neighbor was apparently an insomniac deaf person who had the TV turned all the way up. In another the neighbor had a foghorn for a mouth and was making 'important' phone calls most of the evening. Look I get that you aren't going to get an oasis of tranquility in a hotel, but I purposefully choose rooms without a connecting door for very sound reasons. Please respect my wishes and allow me to choose a room without this 'feature'.
When I do online checkin, I click on the specific room on the map, it brings up a brief text description, such as "1 King" etc., and "Connecting Room" sometimes appears in that description. Did it not show this?

Oh, and whilst I am on a whining session, please, for the love of god, clean out the drains in the bathroom on some kind of schedule. Almost every hotel I stayed in had very poor sink drainage from what appeared to be blocked drains. In one case the drain literally stunk to high heaven....
(Bolding mine)

Literally? How do you know? Did you check with God or an Angel?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
My experience is that the online maps are inconsistent regarding whether a room is a connecting room or not.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:50 pm

Does this thread have a purpose? If so, it eludes me.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
stop staying at Hilton properties then
Old May 2, 2017, 11:24 pm

Don't pick a room online if you want an upgrade. I explicitly asked the manager of the Capitol Hilton whether it hurts my chances to pick a room and she said yes. Her thought process was that if I picked a room, I must want the room and wouldn't necessarily want an upgrade. I never pick a room now and I ALWAYS ask for an upgrade at the desk. I'm Diamond if this isn't clear.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
With these room issues what did the hotel say when you approached them?

If you didn't speak to them when the issue was noticed then little point moaning afterwards.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I would just go back to reception and change room to non-connecting one. I personally avoid them as well. Some hotel maps show extra door, some don't.

I do checkin online and get upgrades as Gold. I just ask if there are other, better rooms available.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Don't pick a room online if you want an upgrade. I explicitly asked the manager of the Capitol Hilton whether it hurts my chances to pick a room and she said yes. Her thought process was that if I picked a room, I must want the room and wouldn't necessarily want an upgrade. I never pick a room now and I ALWAYS ask for an upgrade at the desk. I'm Diamond if this isn't clear.
From my experience it is OK to pick up a room before. But in that case you have to ask for an upgrade at check-in. If you don't ask, your chances for an upgrade decrease. But if you ask, your chances are the same. To ask always, like you do, is the right way from my point of view.

Another point of checking in online is, that if everyone let the hotel know his approx. check-in time, the hotels can manage their rooms much more easily for late check-outs. If you check-in before you let them know your approx. check-in time.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Exactly my experience also. And I spoke to the front desk manager at a Hilton Garden Inn. He said that they never upgrade guests who have done online check in. The reason is that when they did it in the beginning, several guests complained because they had selected a specific room because they wanted that room.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by runarbg
I spoke to the front desk manager at a Hilton Garden Inn. He said that they never upgrade guests who have done online check in. The reason is that when they did it in the beginning, several guests complained because they had selected a specific room because they wanted that room.
Only got pissed off at that once - I checked in online to a really nice room (the one I had booked) with an amazing view and I got upgraded on arrival to a so-called executive room with a crappy inside view. I politely declined the upgrade but was told my booked room was now occupied.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Does this thread have a purpose? If so, it eludes me.
General griping session about issues during a series of stays. I guess I am starting to see patterns of poor performance ....
Old May 3, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
When I do online checkin, I click on the specific room on the map, it brludicrous ings up a brief text description, such as "1 King" etc., and "Connecting Room" sometimes appears in that description. Did it not show this?

(Bolding mine)

Literally? How do you know? Did you check with God or an Angel?
Agreed. I guess my point could have been clearer, apologies. I always check the maps for things like elevators, freeway location, airport location, flight path to/from airports and connecting doors. My issue is that in 3 out of 8 stays, there was no sign of a connecting door on the map, but on arrival in the room there was a door. Hilton need to be a lot more explicit about depicting this ludicrous inventions. I always go back to the FD for a room change.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael19887
stop staying at Hilton properties then
Why, yes indeed. Did you see the last paragraph of my post?

"I fact it is so vexing that I have 3 Marriott , 4 IHG and 2 Radisson Blu bookings in the next couple of months."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.