Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Unusual to get walked as a diamond?

Old Apr 30, 17, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Plat, USAir, Marriott-Plat, HHonors-Diamond

I am currently diamond with Hilton and have been at this level off and on for the last 10 years. Also have lifetime Platinum with Marriott so a fair amount of business travel under my belt.

On March 10 I booked a room at an airport Hampton Inn for a stay on May 10, so definitely booked in advance for a known conference. I have an early flight out and co-worker is staying at Fairfield next door, we are carpooling. I received a phone call from the HI this week notifying me that they are over booked and they will be cancelling my reservation and offered me a room at a HI 20 miles away!!! I told them absolutely not, this was not acceptable and they were not to cancel my reservation that I made 2 months in advance. They insisted it was a "system error" and that they were indeed going to cancel my reservation. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they also insisted that they absolutely needed to cancel my reservation due to the overbooking. I asked why they wanted to cancel a Diamond member and create some bad feelings and they didn't seem to care. I have never used the "don't you know who I am" argument before but I was stunned that they didn't give it any consideration at all?

I called and e-mailed the diamond desk and also received absolutely no assistance, their only suggestion was that I talk with the property and notify them that I am diamond??? Regardless, Hilton assistance was zero in this instance.

While I have managed to book myself at another airport property I'm still very shocked by the treatment from Hilton. I've never encountered this in all my years of travel. Have I just been lucky and these types of things happen even at the higher level of customer priority? I'm wondering where I should direct my loyalty in the future if I have to worry about my reservations being pulled out from under me a week or 2 before travel? I've always had a sense of comfort that my confirmed reservations meant something?
Old Apr 30, 17, 8:48 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Have you read this thread?

Hilton Honors Policy When You Are “Walked”: The Definitive Thread
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by markis10 View Post
Did you book on the Hilton website?

If you booked via a 3rd party take it up with them.
If you booked via the Hilton site take it up with the diamond desk.

The behaviour of the hotel is unacceptable.
They took the reservation and are from that moment in a contract with you.

Globalist
Snickerdoodle likes this.
Old Apr 30, 17, 10:43 pm

Walks happen. If you are indeed a frequent traveler, you already know that. Shouldn't happen to Diamonds, but occasionally does. They owe you some bucks though...$200 for some brands and I think $100 for Hampton.
Old May 1, 17, 12:02 am

Is it trully a walk when cancelled 10 days in advance? I do believe something should be done and due fir the cancellation but technically may not be a walk?
Old May 1, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Call the Diamond Desk again. I have found them to be quite helpful. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, ask to speak to a Diamond Special Services manager.

There may be no recourse to the reservation being cancelled, but at least some compensation should be available. You might ask about the Diamond Reservation Guarantee.

Last edited by GJS - yow; May 1, 17 at 5:33 am
Old May 1, 17, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Is it trully a walk when cancelled 10 days in advance? I do believe something should be done and due fir the cancellation but technically may not be a walk?
I agree, this isn't a walk - I'd say this is worse than a walk, actually. Walks happen when a standard level of booking is used and an high-standard-deviation event happens: more people show up than expected, or guests request added days on their stays, etc. It's something that is expected to happen on the average, but not pre-planned to occur on any specific instance or day (though of course a property would know when the conditions are ripe for walks occurring).

However, in the OP's case, it looks to me like the property is straight up making a calculated decision - likely that they can get more money from last-minute bookings for this "known conference" that the OP alludes to. "System error" my behind, I say!

Originally Posted by GJS - yow View Post
Call the Diamond Desk again. I have found them to be quite helpful. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, ask to speak to a Diamond Special Services manager.
Agree with this. Just go to corporate. A lot of the Hampton properties in particular are operated by local hospitality companies or holding corporations and run amok like unruly children. The only way to deal with them is to get corporate to come in and lay down the law.
Old May 1, 17, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by dnrmil View Post
I am currently diamond with Hilton and have been at this level off and on for the last 10 years. Also have lifetime Platinum with Marriott so a fair amount of business travel under my belt.

On March 10 I booked a room at an airport Hampton Inn for a stay on May 10, so definitely booked in advance for a known conference. I have an early flight out and co-worker is staying at Fairfield next door, we are carpooling. I received a phone call from the HI this week notifying me that they are over booked and they will be cancelling my reservation and offered me a room at a HI 20 miles away!!! I told them absolutely not, this was not acceptable and they were not to cancel my reservation that I made 2 months in advance. They insisted it was a "system error" and that they were indeed going to cancel my reservation. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they also insisted that they absolutely needed to cancel my reservation due to the overbooking. I asked why they wanted to cancel a Diamond member and create some bad feelings and they didn't seem to care. I have never used the "don't you know who I am" argument before but I was stunned that they didn't give it any consideration at all?

I called and e-mailed the diamond desk and also received absolutely no assistance, their only suggestion was that I talk with the property and notify them that I am diamond??? Regardless, Hilton assistance was zero in this instance.

While I have managed to book myself at another airport property I'm still very shocked by the treatment from Hilton. I've never encountered this in all my years of travel. Have I just been lucky and these types of things happen even at the higher level of customer priority? I'm wondering where I should direct my loyalty in the future if I have to worry about my reservations being pulled out from under me a week or 2 before travel? I've always had a sense of comfort that my confirmed reservations meant something?
You may be a Diamond, and I'm not sure what this known conference is, but clearly they probably have either Diamonds who spend a lot more money than you are bringing to the table, or another conference or event is booking up rooms, and the money they're bringing in is more worth it to them than the occasional Diamond that you are.

As far as loyalty goes...if you want to drop a decade of otherwise a successful relationship because of one bad apple, that's for you to decide. I'm sure Marriott would be looking at it as "Why are you staying with Hilton if we made you a lifetime Platinum"? That relationship goes both ways.
Old May 1, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole View Post
You may be a Diamond, and I'm not sure what this known conference is, but clearly they probably have either Diamonds who spend a lot more money than you are bringing to the table, or another conference or event is booking up rooms, and the money they're bringing in is more worth it to them than the occasional Diamond that you are.

As far as loyalty goes...if you want to drop a decade of otherwise a successful relationship because of one bad apple, that's for you to decide. I'm sure Marriott would be looking at it as "Why are you staying with Hilton if we made you a lifetime Platinum"? That relationship goes both ways.
I agree with some of what you said however, that last paragraph I do not. What do these hotels think you are going to do once you get Lifetime? I got Lifetime Diamond for what I did in the PAST, not what I am going to do in the future. I see nothing wrong with bumping up status on another provider, especially if i like the property better.
shillard likes this.
Old May 1, 17, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
What property exactly is doing this?
Old May 1, 17, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM 1.53MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
A lot of the Hampton properties in particular are operated by local hospitality companies or holding corporations and run amok like unruly children. The only way to deal with them is to get corporate to come in and lay down the law.
And maybe report to the appropriate state attorney general office for canceling the reservation without cause. And being overbooked does not count as cause.
Old May 1, 17, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
What property exactly is doing this?
This should definitely be public information - in fact, I would even go so far as to say that OP has an ethical obligation to make it public, in order to possible spare others of future hardship.
Old May 1, 17, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
And maybe report to the appropriate state attorney general office for canceling the reservation without cause. And being overbooked does not count as cause.
An example (unrelated to this particular case) is the AG of Oregon looking into the cancellation of hotel bookings for the upcoming solar eclipse. It seems some hotels discovered that they could make a ton more money by canceling early reservations.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/ind...getic_sil.html
Old May 1, 17, 1:46 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.985MM And holding - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
I've been a Hilton Honors member since '87 and Lifetime Diamond. I have been walked once in that time about 15 years ago. A pretty rare situation for me.
shillard likes this.
Old May 1, 17, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not a walk; it's a unilateral cancellation of a contract.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: