Search

Purchase Timeline

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Purchase Timeline

Hi all,

I am new to the Hhonors section, so I apologize if I missed this while looking around. But, I am wondering when you think the best time is to purchase a hotel reservation? In the past, I've done so sometimes 10 months in advance, only to see the price drop as the date gets closer and closer.

For example, I'm heading to Dubai next Feb., and I'd like to stay at the Waldorf. Right now there is a super cheap deal at $300 a night (I saw it up to $450 a few weeks back). So I'm wondering...should I book now, or wait?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:23 am

Why not book asap at a rate that lets you cancel a reasonable time before the stay. Then, if prices drop, you can cancel your reservation and make a new one at the lower price. As much as Chris Nassetta wishes it were otherwise, the vast majority of rates still allow canceling without penalty within 72 hours of your scheduled check in.

Just be careful not to stumble into a prepaid, non-changeable, non-refundable reservation or something with a ridiculous cancelation policy - three weeks or some nonsense. They aren't always marked prominently as such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.