The app, and upgrades

Old Apr 17, 17, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

The app, and upgrades

So I don't really understand the online checkin and room selection feature. 100% of the time I've used it, I get "upgraded" to an executive room. It's fine, I don't really care since all the rooms are similar. But, if you select your room, I wonder if they should offer you an upgrade versus just giving it to you. For instance, my last trip, I had a standard 2 queen room, and was upgraded to a King. It worked out fine, I was alone. But what if I wasn't.

Also, at least in Asia, they always ask to swipe my credit card at check in even though I've checked in on the app. So what exactly is the advantage of checking in on the app?
Old Apr 20, 17, 11:45 am

Checking in on the app provides you with a known worst case - i.e. the room you choose on the app should be the worst you will be assigned. Checking in on the app doesn't preclude a space available upgrade on arrival at the property. If you're offered an upgrade on the app that you don't want, don't complete the online check in. Either call the property and see if they're able and willing to do something or check in at the front desk and see what can be arranged.
Old Apr 20, 17, 1:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Experience from others on here, points to checking in "online" in advance, prevents any upgrade if you haven't already been given one.
Old Apr 20, 17, 7:54 pm

The advantages of checking in on the app I feel are
- Informing the property you do intend to arrive (especially for late arrivals)
- Choosing an preferred room based on options available which could still be changed when at FD
- Grabbing / confirming a good upgrade and not risk it being given away before you arrive if it is offered.
Old Apr 21, 17, 1:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; SK EBG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, SPG Gold
One which I had not considered until last week. Was the best worst case scenario. Had booked a sea view at Hilton the walk Dubai, noticed it change from 18th floor to 21st floor on the app, but when I checked in (8am - happy to wait for the room) was given a room at 3pm on the 3rd floor looking straight into a building site (i.e. A downgrade) It took a lot of discussion with the manager to be put back into a sea view on the 20th floor. (Facilitated by me showing her a screen shot of the app with a room on the 21st floor as she claimed they never had any rooms)

So my experience is that;
1. It does seem to lock you out of upgrades at some hotels, as they consider you happy wit what you have.
2. It looks in the best worst alternative.
3. It locks you out of a late checkout if someone has selected your room in the app for arrival that day.

So lots of benefits for the hotel, not sure how it has helped my travel experience.

I think it would all be solved if it could be more dynamic, and have a button to click that you are still interested in an upgrade. Or to also request a comp late check out.

KF
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Good comments. I feel like the SPG app is so much more useful - you can see if you get upgraded and keep checking back. The Hilton app I don't think is very good in general.
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
I feel like the SPG app is so much more useful - you can see if you get upgraded and keep checking back.
Um, you can do that on the Hilton app too.

Does the SPG app show floor plans and allow you to pick your room from that, like Hilton does? This is IMO the single coolest feature of any hotel app.
Old May 5, 17, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Um, you can do that on the Hilton app too.

Does the SPG app show floor plans and allow you to pick your room from that, like Hilton does? This is IMO the single coolest feature of any hotel app.
Not all hotels offer the map features. And Hilton doesn't allow you to "un-check in" if you want to change rooms or look for better/upgraded options.
Old May 5, 17, 3:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis CC, Hertz Plat
I checked in online at the Capital Hilton back in March. I picked a nice room and when I arrived they had upgraded me to an even nicer room.
Old May 7, 17, 2:57 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Yeah I had the same at doubletree Lincoln, checked in online which later got upgraded to an executive room with balcony. Then upon check in they upgraded me to a one bed room suite with marine view balcony , it does happen.
Old May 20, 17, 3:21 pm

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of checking in on the app if you are going to then check in at the front desk anyway?

I hate having to ask for an upgrade, I am not the kind of person that wants to beg for an upgrade. They should know I am Diamond and do it automatically. I hardly ever get upgraded as Diamond.
Old May 25, 17, 8:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
I checked in online at Embassy Suites at MCI. When I arrived at 11:30pm they said I was not eligible for an upgrade since I checked in online. I asked, "So I pretty much screwed myself out of an upgrade because I checked in online?" The response was "Yup."
Old May 25, 17, 9:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by shawn67 View Post
I checked in online at Embassy Suites at MCI. When I arrived at 11:30pm they said I was not eligible for an upgrade since I checked in online. I asked, "So I pretty much screwed myself out of an upgrade because I checked in online?" The response was "Yup."
Which although is incorrect and contradicts what the message on the app says, confirms what we suspected in terms of how properties treat OLCI.
Old May 25, 17, 12:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis CC, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by alchemista View Post
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of checking in on the app if you are going to then check in at the front desk anyway?
Nope. When I was upgraded it was reflected on the app the next time I checked it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: