Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is Hilton doing with DoubleTree?

Old Apr 13, 17, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond

I am curious what Hilton is wanting from the DoubleTree brand? I really see DT's as an equal or a half-step down from a Hilton. Both being full service hotels. I have noticed that they are building a bunch of new ones everywhere. So I am just curious if anyone has heard what Hilton is branding, doing, accomplishing?

I figure they are just adding more options. Which I do love.
Old Apr 13, 17, 10:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
My opinion? Hilton has diversified so much in hotel portfolios that I've honestly lost track of what is what. I feel like the brand should actually focus in on it's core...not spread outwards.

How much of a difference is there really between Home2Suites, Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites...I mean seriously. How much difference is there between HGI and Doubletree. Same with Canopy and Conrad (honestly both are eclectic and high end). I feel like have the hotel brands could merge to three or four.
Old Apr 13, 17, 10:47 am

Programs: HH Lifetime diamond. AA gold
HGI in general have limited dining (Breakfast Dinner, Dinner options limited ) and often limited alcohol service. DT's have dining(Breakfast Lunch Dinner )plus a bar. Usually slightly cheaper then a Hilton Brand
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, TAP Gold, EB Silver, Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Radisson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post
I mean seriously. How much difference is there between HGI and Doubletree.
Naturally the main difference, in addition to the very different interior design between HGI and DT, is that I've never heard of a HGI with an Executive Lounge but DoubleTree often has one.
Outside of US this is the main reason to select a DoubleTree instead of a HGI since "Hot Cooked-to-Order Breakfast" is standard in every hotel and EL offerings are usually pretty good.
Old Apr 13, 17, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Guests aren't really the target audience for the proliferation of brands, despite what the marketing department thinks. Hilton (and the other hotel chains) are way more interested in attracting franchisees.

Doubletree, for example, seems to be targeted at hotel conversions who might not want the cost of becoming a full Hilton. But in general, Hilton wants to offer franchisees the chance to be "the only Home 2 Suites" in town, rather than the 3rd "Embassy Suites"...

Loyalty program members are left trying to figure out whether there is a noticeable difference between brands, or consistency within them...
Old Apr 13, 17, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Also see the discussion in these threads regarding the Doubletree brand:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ther-name.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-bad-luck.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...brand-ing.html
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Apr 13, 17, 3:26 pm

This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads...bottom line is DT is a hodgepodge.
Old Apr 13, 17, 3:41 pm
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

I think there is a tremendous amount of variation between Doubletree properties. I have been in some that I thought were five stars (Arctic Club - Seattle, St. Louis Union Station, The Lismore), many that were excellent and were every bit as good as a Hilton in terms of service and accommodations, and a few that were ho-hum. One (Bloomington, MN) was a bad experience, both from exceptionally poor service and problems with maintenance.

Because of the great variety within the brand, it's essential for me to read reviews before booking. New-build properties and recent conversions are usually very solid, but some that were converted over a decade ago are lacking in upkeep. This inconsistency is something Hilton should try to address, although they have similar issues with the flagship brand. I've never been in a Hampton, Homewood, or HGI where I have looked around and thought "What a dump!" but I have thought that at a couple threadbare Doubletrees.
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd love to know what Doubletree is and stood for. It's not really a consistent experience. HGI? Consistent. HI? Consistent? DT? Not so much. Some really bad ones out there.
Vickie Chambers likes this.
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
How much of a difference is there really between Home2Suites, Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites...I mean seriously.
Have you stayed at a Home2? It looks like Ikea threw up inside and the breakfast is no better than the corner gas station.
Vickie Chambers likes this.
Old Apr 13, 17, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by LassiJ View Post
Naturally the main difference, in addition to the very different interior design between HGI and DT, is that I've never heard of a HGI with an Executive Lounge but DoubleTree often has one.
Outside of US this is the main reason to select a DoubleTree instead of a HGI since "Hot Cooked-to-Order Breakfast" is standard in every hotel and EL offerings are usually pretty good.
Within the US, I find that HGI's breakfast is generally more consistent and superior to DT (although there is nothing wrong with DT's in most cases).
Old Apr 13, 17, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Cannot speak to what they are intending, but I have also found DT properties to be bizarrely variable in quality. I have had a couple of great stays that felt like 4 and half stars, and a couple of places where I felt a bit short changed.

I think in the long run it will kill the brand, because people tend to base opinions on the worst experience, not the best.
Old Apr 13, 17, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, National EE
IMO Doubletree is a brand that just doesn't or meet the Hilton criteria. It's so inconsistent everywhere I go. I had closets that only uses curtains as a door and other places where I'm in huge suites. I avoid booking them sometimes just because I don't know what to expect from them. The brown color doesn't make it very appealing either.
Old Apr 13, 17, 5:49 pm
Suspended

I haven't been to a Doubletree in a few years. Do they still give you a free chocolate chip cookie when you arrive? If so, to me that would make it a better chain than Hilton is.
Old Apr 13, 17, 6:16 pm

How much of a difference is there really between Home2Suites, Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites

The breakfast options are not even comparable. Following your list my experience has been continental microwave items versus cooked to order breakfast at Embassy Suites.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: