Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is Hilton doing with DoubleTree?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Hilton doing with DoubleTree?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I had a recent stay at the DSM Doubletree near the airport. Given my overall experiences with DT properties I had set my expectations pretty low, however, I was pleasantly surprised with a wonderful stay. Rooms were nice, free drink coupon, free breakfast (didn't have time for it), and a wonderful dinner at the attached restaurant. I would definitely put this location on my recommend list.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I had a recent stay at the DSM Doubletree near the airport. Given my overall experiences with DT properties I had set my expectations pretty low, however, I was pleasantly surprised with a wonderful stay. Rooms were nice, free drink coupon, free breakfast (didn't have time for it), and a wonderful dinner at the attached restaurant. I would definitely put this location on my recommend list.
i quite like Doubletree property's myself, here in the UK I've not as yet come across a bad one, I've also noticed that Doubletree hotels are springing up everywhere here yet strangely no actual New Hilton hotels, the last one to mind was Hilton Bournemouth but that was a couple of years back .
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
The DT Savannah Historic District is at the good end of a wide spectrum.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wizla

i quite like Doubletree property's myself, here in the UK I've not as yet come across a bad one, I've also noticed that Doubletree hotels are springing up everywhere here yet strangely no actual New Hilton hotels, the last one to mind was Hilton Bournemouth but that was a couple of years back .
My completely subjective experience is that DTs in the UK (and to a lesser extent Australia and Canada) are a completely different animal than the ones in the US.

In the US it's a total grab bag of properties operating at different standards, with different levels of fit/finish and renovation, etc., etc. They're a property you choose if you want something where you don't know what to expect; it could be delightful (though I can't think of a US DT that's really impressed me), or it could be a property that isn't up to Hilton standards any longer ad doesn't appear to have received any significant renovation or rehabilitation in the past 30 years but has some strategic value to the family (the DT Somerset and former DT Richmond Airport [formerly Hilton Richmond Airport, now the flagless "Richmond Airport Hotel"] are prime examples in my mind)

In the UK DT is to a much higher standard -- the DT London Westminster was a fantastic way to see the city, the DT Queensferry outside of Edinburgh was one of the best stays I've experienced (second only to the Waldorf-Astoria Rome Cavalieri and miles ahead of the WA Caledonian) Even the DT EDI airport (a Hilton up until end of 2016) is a respectable property. Even in Canada, for example, they seem to be held to a higher standard with the DT Toronto Airport West looking like it's just come off of a major renovation.

In the US on the other hand, it seems like the requirements to become a DoubleTree is "yank the old brand's sign down, put the new sign up & start serving cookies at check-in, congratulations, you're finished!"
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They're a sort of "Hilton-lite" in the States, though some of the more tired ones are being renovated.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I had a somewhat funny / horrible stay at a DT in Oklahoma, and afterwards was checking TripAdvisor for reviews to see if mine was out of the ordinary. The manager's responses on TA were very telling (and humorous) with comments like "Sorry our property let you down, we can certainly work on some of those complaint items such as housekeeping and service, but... this place is really old and we can only do so much."

The late 1970's early '80's hotels, with constant traffic and wear and tear have to be taken into account. They can't bulldoze every hotel that gets old. Best Hilton could do is sell them off and move along, but I'm not sure how that works with franchises. Pull the flag, I suppose.

But they had cookies!

TDM

PS: And, yes, to echo the poster above, the DT wharf property in Amsterdam is spot on, super clean, great brekkie. A lot of the Euro DTs are very nice. Midwest USA, North California? Not so much.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
My completely subjective experience is that DTs in the UK (and to a lesser extent Australia and Canada) are a completely different animal than the ones in the US.

In the US it's a total grab bag of properties operating at different standards, with different levels of fit/finish and renovation, etc., etc. They're a property you choose if you want something where you don't know what to expect; it could be delightful (though I can't think of a US DT that's really impressed me), or it could be a property that isn't up to Hilton standards any longer ad doesn't appear to have received any significant renovation or rehabilitation in the past 30 years but has some strategic value to the family (the DT Somerset and former DT Richmond Airport [formerly Hilton Richmond Airport, now the flagless "Richmond Airport Hotel"] are prime examples in my mind)

In the UK DT is to a much higher standard -- the DT London Westminster was a fantastic way to see the city, the DT Queensferry outside of Edinburgh was one of the best stays I've experienced (second only to the Waldorf-Astoria Rome Cavalieri and miles ahead of the WA Caledonian) Even the DT EDI airport (a Hilton up until end of 2016) is a respectable property. Even in Canada, for example, they seem to be held to a higher standard with the DT Toronto Airport West looking like it's just come off of a major renovation.

In the US on the other hand, it seems like the requirements to become a DoubleTree is "yank the old brand's sign down, put the new sign up & start serving cookies at check-in, congratulations, you're finished!"
Interesting insight into other Doubletrees of the world, I personally have never been outside Europe so wouldn't know but I can see your angle, it's crazy as I always wrongly thought brand standards were worldwide but clearly not.
lincolnjkc and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
One of my favorite DoubleTree Hotels is the DoubleTree in Victoria. Absolutely amazing hotel with a cocktail bar, great restaurant and incredible breakfast. It definitely sits at the higher end of the DoubleTree spectrum.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:59 pm
PeS

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, BA Gold
i quite like Doubletree property's myself, here in the UK I've not as yet come across a bad one
Ever tried DT Swindon?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by PeS

Ever tried DT Swindon?
Errrrrr no.......... pretty bad I'm assuming?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond ? TK*E
I must say, my favorite DT is Moda Istanbul, on the asian side.

They have, i kid you not, a tree before there entrance, it doesn't get more DT then that.
Also have an executive lounge and very good treatment to diamonds ( upgraded to suite with bosphorus view )
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat

Interesting insight into other Doubletrees of the world, I personally have never been outside Europe so wouldn't know but I can see your angle, it's crazy as I always wrongly thought brand standards were worldwide but clearly not.
In my experience particularly in the UK DT's are far better properties than Hiltons.

Looking at several like for like comparison (e.g. DT Leeds v. Leeds Hilton next door, or the DT Liverpool compared to the Hilton Liverpool) it really is a night and day comparison. DT's seem to be increasingly positioned as a slightly funky upscale offering compared to the tired and bland mediocrity one finds at Hiltons. Many of the DT's I stay at regularly are newly opened or in the midst of extensive refurbs too, whereas many Hiltons have not been refurbed in years (I am looking at you Hilton Warwick, where I cannot wait for the DT Stratford Upon Avon to replace in my travels).
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:30 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
DT seems to be high quality also in Central Europe, I am writing this from the DT Zagreb and this is a four star properties, honestly. Except for the breakfast which I find meh, the rest is solid: king bed basic, room 26 sqm minimum, swimming pool on he tenth floor, large gym, sauna, restaurant considered one of Zagreb’s best. I have three more DT stays in the next 6 weeks (London Victoria, Yerevan and Kosice) and each ones seems to be a solid hotel.
One more time, it is just that standards are lower in the US.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Even within Europe there is a big difference between new build DTs and conversions. In Amsterdam , for example, the DT Centraal is one of the worst Hilton properties I've ever stayed at, and is a converted "Mint" property. Rather than convert the property to a normal hotel, they kept the dorm room style of Mint but charge grown up hotel prices.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:42 am

Do the former Mint properties still use Macintosh computers as tv screens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.