Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Check in agent lies about upgrade availability - what do you do?

Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

When the agent explains you are not getting an upgrade because 'we are fully sold out' or 'we are sold out of that room type' when you know for a fact there are multiple rooms available to book online - what do you do?

I know this seems to come up quite a lot as the default excuse of not upgrading a member.

Is it bad etiquette to push the issue and tell them they are indeed available? Should we as guests just let it go and chalk it up as that they just don't want to upgrade us?

What's the best thing to do in this situation? Any insights, opinions or experiences would be highly appreciated.
Leonvomp likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:41 pm

Up to you. Calling them out on it usually results in some hilarious conversations, like them explaining how those online listings are intended to generate an oversell, or the website isn't showing the "real" inventory, or they're actually holding back a suite or two that's for sale but "not available for upgrades" or other ridiculous stories. If you feel like standing your ground at that point, just call for a manager and give it a go from there. Like anything Hilton, it's luck of the draw.

Just my two cents. I'm sure the thread will digress into some accusations of "over-entitled elites" or such.
Leonvomp likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:47 pm

Nothing wrong, IMO, in letting the agent (and his/her manager) know that you know they are lying - by showing them proof.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Perhaps it matters how far you want to push the envelope...

Or you could just hit them after if they e-mail you a survey.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
If you casually want an upgrade- I would ask once and if denied let it go. Upgrades are not guaranteed and you are not going to win the argument about room inventory availability.

If you really want an upgrade- offer to pay a modest supplement if necessary. You can always say no if the offer is too high.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:50 pm

Upgrades are a privilege, not an entitlement
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Most of the time I will just it go. I know the FD staff might be lying, but at the same time I can't confirm if what I see online is really true too.

So so far the alternatives offered to me have been pretty good. Be it extra amenities like fruits, pralines or wine etc. Sometimes even a complimentary lunch or dinner(albeit with the t&cs).

Mostly I'll just reply with "oh then can I get a late checkout in this case?" And have been offered as late as 6pm.

but again, the all important 4 letters. YMMV.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I usually bring up all the room types on my app right before checkin. Then if they try to say they can't upgrade me to a particular room type, I whip out my phone and use that to prompt them to try again.

That almost always works, but when it doesn't I don't push the matter any further, other than to let my displeasure be known at check-out or any post-stay surveys.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Up to you. Calling them out on it usually results in some hilarious conversations, like them explaining how those online listings are intended to generate an oversell, or the website isn't showing the "real" inventory, or they're actually holding back a suite or two that's for sale but "not available for upgrades" or other ridiculous stories. If you feel like standing your ground at that point, just call for a manager and give it a go from there. Like anything Hilton, it's luck of the draw.

Just my two cents. I'm sure the thread will digress into some accusations of "over-entitled elites" or such.
I think you just listed every excuse that was told to me by the FD staff at the Waldorf Astoria in Rome. I did get a free bottle of wine for my efforts though.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:43 am

Just let it go. When I was younger and foolish, I was once so upset that I didn't get an upgraded room despite availability. I just learned to move on and focus on other things that are far more important. :-)
Snickerdoodle likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by mingzie
When the agent explains you are not getting an upgrade because 'we are fully sold out' or 'we are sold out of that room type' when you know for a fact there are multiple rooms available to book online - what do you do?

I know this seems to come up quite a lot as the default excuse of not upgrading a member.

Is it bad etiquette to push the issue and tell them they are indeed available? Should we as guests just let it go and chalk it up as that they just don't want to upgrade us?

What's the best thing to do in this situation? Any insights, opinions or experiences would be highly appreciated.
I think it helps to know what excuse you would accept.

"No, we aren't upgrading you" is a bit direct.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:44 am

A room, which is available for book, can be not available for an upgrade. It's up to the hotel to decide about that.

If I'm not happy with upgrades or late check-out, I talk about that to the hotel manager or general manager and if I still don't feel good about that, I change the hotel, the brand or or the group, if possible. If that's not possible, I try not to worry about it.
Wolfram Heerlen likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thbe
A room, which is available for book, can be not available for an upgrade. It's up to the hotel to decide about that.

If I'm not happy with upgrades or late check-out, I talk about that to the hotel manager or general manager and if I still don't feel good about that, I change the hotel, the brand or or the group, if possible. If that's not possible, I try not to worry about it.
Pretty much how I see it, if I needed the larger room or view then thats what I should have booked.

With that said, it still ticks me off but not in a way, that Im lied to with the sorry we are full during the duration of your stay while in fact almost every room type is available. usually I will vote with my wallet and not return to that property, but will let them know why upon checkout.

The vast majority of my stays are 1 nighters, I think it would bother me more if the stay was for more then 1 night.
Wolfram Heerlen likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
arlflyer - You were correct, do you want payment in cash or check?

Originally Posted by lyndonmaxewell
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by lyndonmaxewell

I disagree. Diamonds are entitled to an upgrade where its available. It isn't a favour in the gift of the reception staff.
jamesteroh, ptownca and CPMaverick like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.