Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can I get both HHonors credit and airline miles?

Old Mar 16, 17, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

I am new to Hilton (just stayed in Hampton inn for 2 nights) so I am not sure if I choose to accumulate airlines credits, do I still earn HHonors credit? If I can earn both, how can I request missing credit since I already checked out? Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 17, 2:04 pm

Hilton offers a double dip whereby you could get both. You need to set this up on your account. It is worth going through the various options and select your preferences.
Old Mar 16, 17, 2:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Having said that, the airline points really aren't many and you're likely better off just taking the double dip for Hilton points.

Neil
Old Mar 16, 17, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

How to double dip for Hilton points? Just get extra 100% points? Sounds really nice...
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Having said that, the airline points really aren't many and you're likely better off just taking the double dip for Hilton points.

Neil
Old Mar 16, 17, 6:13 pm

However so consider when it is a quadruple miles promo. E.g. The current SQ one
Old Mar 16, 17, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The miles option is only worth it when it triggers a partner offer/promotion. The vast majority of the time, just take the points!
Old Mar 16, 17, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Not always true. Some of the recent airline promos are giving airline miles (500 or 1000) per day, which are way better than the small amount of double dip points you'd get.
Old Mar 17, 17, 5:48 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Caesar's Diamond
You have 2 choices:
- Points & Points - Earn 10 Base Points, plus an additional 5 Bonus Points per eligible US dollar spent.

- Points & Miles - Earn 10 Base Points, plus 1 mile per eligible US dollar spent.

You can change you preference as often as you like. So, if there is a good miles promo, you can choose that, or if there's a good points promo, you can change to that. The basic miles don't add up to much unless there is a promo. But, if you don't stay at Hilton often, it could take a long time for the points to add up to anything useful. So, keep an eye on the promos and choose what is best for you.
Old Mar 19, 17, 7:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
You have 2 choices:
- Points & Points - Earn 10 Base Points, plus an additional 5 Bonus Points per eligible US dollar spent.

- Points & Miles - Earn 10 Base Points, plus 1 mile per eligible US dollar spent.

You can change you preference as often as you like. So, if there is a good miles promo, you can choose that, or if there's a good points promo, you can change to that. The basic miles don't add up to much unless there is a promo. But, if you don't stay at Hilton often, it could take a long time for the points to add up to anything useful. So, keep an eye on the promos and choose what is best for you.
I think this says it all. The only thing I'd add is that I believe that you have to choose your preference prior to check out. So, I don't think you can retroactively change your earning style. If you were not points & miles at check out, you can't take advantage of the offer.

I think, as has been pointed out above, the points & points is the way to go, but I'm currently in points & miles to get the 500 American Airlines bonus miles (per night, limit 10K). When this promotion ends on 31 March, it's back to points & points for me.
Old Mar 19, 17, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1.3 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Total Rewards Diamond
I think you need to decide which is the better option for you. Seems most folks like the points+points but my preference is points and miles. I have more than enough points for what I need but never enough airline miles. Even though there aren't a lot of miles involved, every little bit helps.
Old Mar 20, 17, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seabilly View Post
I think you need to decide which is the better option for you. Seems most folks like the points+points but my preference is points and miles. I have more than enough points for what I need but never enough airline miles. Even though there aren't a lot of miles involved, every little bit helps.
Yes, but if you want miles, is points + miles the best solution???

The main question is not whether to end up with airline miles, the main question is whether it makes more sense to earn points + miles, or whether it makes more sense to earn points + points and then transfer points to miles.

With points + miles, only 1/3 of your points turn into miles. With points + points and then later converting to miles, 100% of your points can turn into miles.
Old Mar 20, 17, 6:50 pm

Is there a consolidated source where you can compare the various airline promos that are currently being offered?
Old Mar 20, 17, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1.3 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Total Rewards Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Yes, but if you want miles, is points + miles the best solution???

The main question is not whether to end up with airline miles, the main question is whether it makes more sense to earn points + miles, or whether it makes more sense to earn points + points and then transfer points to miles.

With points + miles, only 1/3 of your points turn into miles. With points + points and then later converting to miles, 100% of your points can turn into miles.
I think that is a good point but it really depends on the airline and what the conversion rate is. I didn't look at all of the conversion tables on the Hilton site but did notice they are not all the same.

For Delta, 10,000 Hilton points converts to 1,000 Delta miles

(Not talking about base points, which are the same whether you chose +points or +miles)

The +points gives you an extra 5 points per dollar spent.
The +miles give 1 mile per dollar spent.

With +points, for each $1,000 spent I'd get 5,000 Hilton points which would convert at a rate of 500 Delta Miles

With +miles, for each $1,000 spent, I'd get 1,000 Delta Miles

In my case, and with Delta, I'm better off taking the +miles unless I miscalculated or misunderstood something (entirely possible).
Old Mar 21, 17, 5:21 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
I double dip to AA and UA.

You don't get many miles from the DD but I have hundreds of thousands of miles in each program via CC churning and it extends the expiration 18 months.
Old Mar 21, 17, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
I double dip to AA and UA.

You don't get many miles from the DD but I have hundreds of thousands of miles in each program via CC churning and it extends the expiration 18 months.
I do that too. I keep an eye on my Alaska and American accts (that I also got from Credit Card sign-ups) As needed, I'll move a one night stay over to them from Delta to keep them from expiring.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: