Search

Are Hilton Sales really "Sales"?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Are Hilton Sales really "Sales"?

Yesterday before the APAC sales end

Today after end of APAC sales

C'mon Hilton, do you bring up the prices during a "Sales" and offer a flash sales discount? The regular rates on the page seems to suggest so!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:54 am

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. As recently as a couple months ago I've cancelled existing reservations and rebooked for significantly less during flash or seasonal sales. And sometimes they look like exactly what you show above. As always, the best advice is to discard the hype, go to the numbers, and always be diligent about rechecking reservations (when refundable) for better price opportunities.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. As recently as a couple months ago I've cancelled existing reservations and rebooked for significantly less during flash or seasonal sales. And sometimes they look like exactly what you show above. As always, the best advice is to discard the hype, go to the numbers, and always be diligent about rechecking reservations (when refundable) for better price opportunities.
Agreed. Though the Flash sales rates are always non-refundable and sounds tempting... till it's too late to regret.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:06 am

I think you are quite right lyndonmaxewell, IME most Hilton "sales" are bogus - at best the rates may be marginally lower, but then you are saddled with the non-refundable gotcha.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Isn't this true for the whole travel industry though? When something has a price which fluctuates over time, is differenet depending on the vendor, and most people pay a different price for the same thing the concept of a sale becomes nonsensical
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:33 pm

Is it even possible to cancel a reservation that is non-refundable and get refund on it?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
In the last few years I booked twice the Hilton Jan sale in Europe, I think about 1/3 off.
The problem: Non-refundable rates, so some risk involved...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SheTravels
Non-refundable rates, so some risk involved...
You just need it to average out, though, to come out ahead. Booking at 1/3 off and eating the cancellation on 1 out of every 4, for example, you still are net positive.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

It pays to have a constant watch of the regular hotels that you go to. E.g. My travel is usually in the APAC region so off-hand I have an idea of th regular rates.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:15 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Agreed - Hilton, SPG, Marriott, Carlson are all guilty of these "fake" sales that promise huge discounts that end up not being discounts at all. Don't book a "sale" blindly!
I agree with others - if I know the typical price for a hotel/season and the sale is a "historical low", I book it. Otherwise, I'll avoid the pre-paid, non-refundable rates far ahead to avoid the situation the OP describes.
Accor's private sales are often "real sales": I usually book a few places well in advance for destinations I know well - in some cases, I got a discount of 50% or more compared to booking closer to the date of travel!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by ponickka
Is it even possible to cancel a reservation that is non-refundable and get refund on it?
It depends on the circumstances, the hotel, how often you stay at the hotel, etc. Some have reported that they've been offered credit, or if they had to move their trip to another week, the hotel permitted it. Maybe in the case of an issue with weather, they'll allow it.

But just to get a refund because you decided you didn't want to stay there anymore? That rarely happens...and usually become the subject of a 1 star review because the person reserving the room didn't care to understand that No Refunds meant no refunds.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:20 am
cjd

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
It depends on the circumstances, the hotel, how often you stay at the hotel, etc. Some have reported that they've been offered credit, or if they had to move their trip to another week, the hotel permitted it. Maybe in the case of an issue with weather, they'll allow it.

But just to get a refund because you decided you didn't want to stay there anymore? That rarely happens...and usually become the subject of a 1 star review because the person reserving the room didn't care to understand that No Refunds meant no refunds.
Agree, it is possible to get a change a non refundable, non changeable rate. I have done it on a several occasions, when I've inadvertently booked the wrong dates on the website, either my fault or the website defaulting to the current night. A phone call to the hotel has always managed to correct the error and get the dates changed.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

If anyone's interested, APAC sales is on again for 6 days
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:36 am

I don't agree, that the sales are faked.

The way I see it, the rates which are shown on the overview websites are totally wrong. Not only for that APAC sale, also for all offers and periods.

I. e. your screenshot "before APAC sales end", which shows THB 4.426 for the Millenium, THB 5.367 for the Conrad, THB 4.708 for Hilton Sukhumvit as the lowest prices ("from").

For all these hotels I've seen lower and much lower rates during the APAC sale. I. e. Hilton Sukhumvit had also APAC sale rates for around THB 3.000,-.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:12 am

Another example from the actual APAC sale:
Website shows "from THB 3.872" for the Conrad Bangkok, but lowest rate for April 8 is THB 3.055.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.