Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What Type of Bug is this in my bed?

Old Mar 12, 17, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Hilton Diamond

In a Hilton family property in a leading US City. For now I will not say which one. When I returned to my room, I saw this bug crawling on my white thin bedspread. It was a flat oval bug with sort of scales looking on its back. I flicked the bedspread to make it move and then it continued crawling. I did it again and it was not something to fly away. I have not seen a bug like this before. I took some pictures and video and called the front desk and asked for a manager to come to my room. They put a cup next to it to crawl into to save for the exterminator. I asked for a new room. The results of what type of bug this is will impact whether I need to dry clean the clothing that cannot be washed.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts. I am waiting for the hotel to provide a report to me from the exterminator. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
That's a bedbug, likely third instar.

Get out of the room.

Old Mar 12, 17, 3:21 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
That's is definitely a bed bug, I had that once in a hotel in London ( not Hilton), had to ditch my clothes, tour bag and robe.
Old Mar 12, 17, 7:07 am

Looks like a bed bug to me, actually had a patient collect three bed bugs in the plastic bag used to line some ice buckets and bring them.into the ER wanting to know if he could sue the property (not a Hilton). I explained to him that I could not render judgement on law suits as I am not an attorney, all I could possibly due to was treat the bites

I honestly had to Google myself as I had never seen a beg bug up close before. I also called Pathology if they had resources to identify the mystery inspect. They didn't and said that the best that they could do was send the insects off to the University for identification but that would probably take a long time.

I told the patient that the hospital has no way to confirm if the insects in his plastic bag were bed bugs or not, but that they probably are judging from pics off the internet. Furthermore, the best I could do was call Dermatology for a consultation on the bites and send him on his way.

Needless to say I have no idea what happened to him after he left the ER nor do I know if he sued the property. Since that time, I attended a training course on bed bug, nasty things and hope that I never get to meet one up close and personal.
Old Mar 12, 17, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

What property? This if any situation is one where the property should be identified. I know I would not book a room at this property.
Old Mar 12, 17, 9:29 am

Programs: HH D; IHG G
What color did it have, black or reddish brown?
Old Mar 12, 17, 11:44 am
Original Poster

It is in NYC. It was blackish. The hotel duty manager just told me that their company told them that it was a bug from the bathroom, but did not name it, but I think it is odd since I am from NYC and have and family that lives in Florida and I live in LA and have seen every type of bug in bathrooms. If it was a common bathroom bug, wouldn't they know the name of it. This was not a NYC type water bug, nor was it anywhere near the bathroom. It was on top of my bed after the room was cleaned and I returned in early evening in a pretty large room quite a distance away from the bathroom. I have seen bugs in nyc bathrooms and they would be be some type of possible roach, water bug, a beetle type that balls up, a long one with many legs. This one was small, but visible to the naked eye with a hard shell which looks like scales in a flat oval shape. I am waiting to get a copy of the report.

I just looked at a site with all of the bugs of NY State and could not find this one:

http://www.insectidentification.org/...ate=New%20York

From the New York City Website: The bug on my bed looks like the bed bug color and shape. From what people wrote earlier, the size and shape changes as it ages.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downl...t-a-bedbug.pdf

One more from NYC:

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/...-identify.page

The hotel just gave me a report which said no bed bug activity in the room, but did not mention the bug in question which they took OUT of the room. Also the report does not mention any specific bug being identified which the man from the front desk said was from the bathroom. My spidey sense if thinking BS. If it was another type of bug, tell me which one. I looked at the report and does not even say that a sample was given. I called Ecolab and asked them and they told me the specifics are confidential.

I called the Diamond desk and filed a report while they were in my room when I showed it to them and they "asked if I wanted to stay in the room." I would love to be proven wrong, but I think their response is BS, but I would feel more comfortable not disclosing the name of the property until I can know for sure. I am not happy with any type of bug in my bed even if it is not a bed bug since it still made me uncomfortable since I had never seen this type of bug before.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 19, 17 at 5:02 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 12, 17, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee View Post
It is in NYC. It was blackish. The hotel duty manager just told me that their company told them that it was a bug from the bathroom, but did not name it, but I think it is odd since I am from NYC and have and family that lives in Florida and I live in LA and have seen every type of bug in bathrooms. If it was a common bathroom bug, wouldn't they know the name of it. This was not a NYC type water bug, nor was it anywhere near the bathroom. It was on top of my bed after the room was cleaned and I returned in early evening in a pretty large room quite a distance away from the bathroom. I have seen bugs in nyc bathrooms and they would be be some type of possible roach, water bug, a beetle type that balls up, a long one with many legs. This one was small, but visible to the naked eye with a hard shell which looks like scales in a flat oval shape. I am waiting to get a copy of the report.
There are numerous NYC properties, which one exactly?

In the spirit of FT, this is a community. If there are issues as severe [I believe this is severe] as this I would share so that FT member who researching properties knows what potential issues they may encounter and can make an informed decision about where to book.

In addition, have you reported this to Hilton Lurker and/or the higher ups?

I called the Diamond desk and filed a report while they were in my room when I showed it to them and they "asked if I wanted to stay in the room." I would love to be proven wrong, but I think their response is BS, but I would feel more comfortable not disclosing the name of the property until I can know for sure. I am not happy with any type of bug in my bed even if it is not a bed bug since it still made me uncomfortable since I had never seen this type of bug before.
It's interesting you don't feel comfortable naming the property, but came to the community for information and guidance. Ironic, right?

I sincerely hope you disclose the name of the property very soon. I would hate to know that someone else had the same experience as you. I'm grossed out just reading this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 19, 17 at 5:03 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 12, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold, WoH, Leaders Club, slh, LH M&M Frequent Traveller
I agree with KENNECTED. You should name the property to the FT community and inform Hilton administration.
Old Mar 12, 17, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
Maybe a carpet beetle
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

I did file an official complaint with Hilton Diamond since this is a franchise. I came to the board since the hotel did not originally let me speak with the GM after asking many times and being told that there was none working this weekend. They said that they would conduct an investigation and be in touch with no specifics. I said I would do the same. I just received an email in response to my specific questions from the GM which answered none of them other than saying no bed bugs found in my old room (BUT NOT ANSWERING WHAT TYPE OF BUG THAT WAS IN MY ROOM WHICH WAS THE ISSUE. THEY COULD HAVE TREATED THE ROOM AND PROVIDED ME WITH THE REPORT AFTER A SECOND INSPECTION). HE told me that my stay would be comped and that they would pay for my dry cleaning. I trust Hilton and its BS meter about how to handle this with this property. I will send them all of my emails to and from the manager with pictures and the video.

With regard to the question about the carpet beetle-- I looked at pictures up close and they did not look like one due to coloring and shape. Also the duty manager claimed Ecolabs they told him it was from the bathroom. If it was a common bathroom bug, then why wouldn't they tell me and include it in the report?
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:14 pm

Tell us the name of the property. End.
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:35 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
At this point, imagine a black bear seated at a wooden table appearing as if it is waiting for someone.
Old Mar 12, 17, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, LT Diamond Honors
I've had this happen a couple of times over several years. If it was very flat and apple-seed shaped, it was probably a bed bug. The one I caught was almost purple. Yuck. I had their exterminator talk to me and together we looked for tell-tale signs of an infestation. There didn't seem to be any. I put anything that touched the floor or bed in a sealed bag, washed and dried it on high temp when I got home. You can throw things away to be safe, but the high temp drying for an hour should work. I then had my suitcase treated, which I sealed in a garbage bag, before I brought it into my home.

I always make sure to put my suitcase in the bathroom because bugs don't like that room. I seal my bed clothes in a plastic bag and wash immediately. I'm in a business where we occasionally have to deal with these pests, and so I've talked to many pest control companies about how to ensure I don't have stow-always. Still, it's very unnerving to find one.

I also think most well-run hotels have systems in place to find bugs before they become an infestation. There are even trained dogs that sniff them out. Gotta love dogs!

I also want to add that the bugs are VERY flat. They look very different in that way, so if that didn't stand out to you, it's probably not one.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 19, 17 at 5:03 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 12, 17, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, SW A List
There are several different types of carpet beetles, and I think this looks like one based on the photo. It's hard to know what size it is from the photo. Carpet beetles are fairly small, but I think bed bugs are even smaller, so an exterminator should be able to know right away by seeing the actual bug.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7436.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: