Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cblaisd
Hilton Properties Devalued 5k → 10k & 10k → 20k for standard award:

[NAME] [OLD RATE] [NEW RATE]

Loyalty Lobby Article with the List of Hotels that Changed: https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/06/17/hilton-honors-award-chart-changes-june-2019/
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Points Devaluation" thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I also dont believe Honors would make award bookings non-refundable because that is NOT an industry standard. Not to say Honors would never go that route but the chance of it to go that direction is relatively small.

It always pay to check your cancelable bookings on hotels and rental cars.
Yeah, never say never when it comes to loyalty devaluations, but I'd be surprised if they did this.

And the fact that you CAN change and rebook your hotel stays makes the program more valuable to participate in. Kind of like Southwest's program. Yes, it's not aspirational, but it can be useful. Which is usually good enough!

I'd note that a good chunk of the "best deals" in hotel stays involve non-cancelable rooms, which are obviously less attractive than freely-cancelable award stays.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Until Hilton makes award reservation non-refundable like the legacy carriers have made award bookings for flights (or you can pay a fee to get your miles/points back).

Always been able to cancel flights booked with points. Don't see why any hotel should be different.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Always been able to cancel flights booked with points. Don't see why any hotel should be different.

But not without an insignificant cost, unless you are a top tier member; hence this argument does not hold much water.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shonamac
But not without an insignificant cost, unless you are a top tier member; hence this argument does not hold much water.

Never had any issues with BA
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Never had any issues with BA
That's because you're BA Gold.

To cancel an AA flight award, I'd be paying $150 to get the miles back. Other airlines are similar- there are exemptions for top elites (for instance, as an AS MVP Gold, I am exempt from almost all fees such as flight award cancellation), but for John Q. Public, they have to pay up.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
With BA there's only small charge for cancellation, regardless of tier. If charge is higher than taxes paid, you just lose cash part.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:57 am

I have complained about this change from Hilton, but I have to give Hilton credit where it's due. I looked at Hilton Blackpool (UK) for the summer, which used to be a Cat6 (30-50k). Expecting the worst, I was pleasantly surprised to see rooms for anywhere from 16k to 22k. And the next day, the price even dropped. So in this case, the new structure really worked out for me.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:25 pm

I'm starting to think some hotels are trying shenanigans with the new award pricing or not properly adjusting award pricing.

A hotel in Miami which is a Cat 5, has a cheap rate of $100 per night but is charging 31000 points instead of 30000. A next hotel in Fort Lauderdale (Cat 6) has a rate of almost $140, but rooms are pricing below 30000 points. There's no way a Category 5 with a $40 lower base price is charging slightly more points for a standard room as compared to a Category 6 hotel with a higher rate.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I'm starting to think some hotels are trying shenanigans with the new award pricing or not properly adjusting award pricing.

A hotel in Miami which is a Cat 5, has a cheap rate of $100 per night but is charging 31000 points instead of 30000. A next hotel in Fort Lauderdale (Cat 6) has a rate of almost $140, but rooms are pricing below 30000 points. There's no way a Category 5 with a $40 lower base price is charging slightly more points for a standard room as compared to a Category 6 hotel with a higher rate.
Is the Cat 5 room a standard room or above it? If its above a standard then those rooms always cost more pts and the .005 ratio wouldnt apply. Ive found plenty of cases where it should have been say 21200 and they set it at 22000, would have been nice if they set it up that till xx499 ig gets lowered and from xx500 it gets raised.

then again the pts are offset by the reg rate many people have codes that gets the reg rate reduced, so one needs to 1st find the cheapest rate they can book and then see what the pt amount is. Which is why I doubt I will be having many pt stays if any at all in the US.Exception being when I want a particuliar hotel and its pts are at its cap due to the very high rate being charged. Outside NA where most of my codes arent worth much it will be all pts
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:30 pm

Both rooms are standard. The hotel costs 1000 more points than it did before March 1st, yet the price has remained the same since I booked it in early January.

I have seen other hotel with "similar problems".
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Both rooms are standard. The hotel costs 1000 more points than it did before March 1st, yet the price has remained the same since I booked it in early January.

I have seen other hotel with "similar problems".
1,000 HH points = <$5. Would you be as concerned if a paid rate moved around by this much?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UserMark
I have complained about this change from Hilton, but I have to give Hilton credit where it's due. I looked at Hilton Blackpool (UK) for the summer, which used to be a Cat6 (30-50k). Expecting the worst, I was pleasantly surprised to see rooms for anywhere from 16k to 22k. And the next day, the price even dropped. So in this case, the new structure really worked out for me.
The points are lower because the room rate is lower.

You are simply exchanging x points per GBP.

In the past you would have probably paid cash rather than use 30 or 50 thousand points. Now you have a choice.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:23 am

Is the $100 per night rate the flexible rate or the advance purchase rate? I think the point system only applies to the flexible rate + hotel tax and fee. If you just take the flexible rate, it seems to be about 1 point per $0.0043. But if you add local/sales/hotel tax to it, it became very close to 1 point per $0.005.

I did the calculation on about 10 hotels in FLL and Miami area, they all have the same rate between $0.0042 to $0.0043 on the flexible rate before adding taxes/fees.

Last edited by Need; Mar 21, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

The points are lower because the room rate is lower.

You are simply exchanging x points per GBP.

In the past you would have probably paid cash rather than use 30 or 50 thousand points. Now you have a choice.
If I was the one doing the booking, it wouldnt matter to me that it doesnt make sense to use my pts when the rate is $100. Id be ticked off as it seems the OP is that the hotel (or whomever) is playing games.

I can understand it being 30k which was probably the cap for the hotel before if it was 40k then I could hear 40k but not that it was 30k before 3/1 and now with the same rate its 31k, but the unknown is what rate the $100 is that the OP mentioned.And if teh rate is $100 then by all means that should take only 20k when using pts, and Ive seen 19k due to the low rate when before 3/1 the hotel cat was 20-30. So something isnt adding up
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
ES Sacramento still offering 40k standard award on a night when rooms going for over $300 . . . so that's a redemption value of .75 cpp.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.