Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

It happened. The worst devaluation aka "four new perk" yet

It happened. The worst devaluation aka "four new perk" yet

Old Apr 4, 17, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
Are Premium awards not eligible for 5th night free?
They are not offered in the T&C.

For every Standard Room Reward stay of five or more nights, one night is free.
Old Apr 4, 17, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
In essence, it is B&S. Technically and legally it is not, but in essence, it is.

This is akin to lobbying and political campaign contributions. Technically and legally, it is not bribing, but in essence, we all know it is bribing.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I would agree with you had HH posted say 20k for each night separately and when you make 1 res they up it to say 30k per night.

Since most likely each night by itself will have a different rate then how could you expect HH to hold by 1 amount of pts for every night, that is unless every night would workout to need more pts then its capped at, so then it should be the same amount of pts every night as long as its a standard room each night

The same can be said for paying ca$h, 1 night may be more or less$$ then the others, Marriott always made it known that as of x date the rate is higher or lower but the rate of your 1st night was the rate that showed as your main rate even thou it may not be every night of ones stay.
Old Apr 4, 17, 8:48 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am talking about the rewards program as a whole, not the different rates per night, as I said I think this is an IT issue.
Old Apr 5, 17, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some interesting discussion in this blog about the "points cap." But nobody (including Hilton) seems to know how long it will last.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/05/h...-are-in-place/
Old Apr 6, 17, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Some interesting discussion in this blog about the "points cap." But nobody (including Hilton) seems to know how long it will last.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/05/h...-are-in-place/
Always a little scary when loyalty programs feel the need to caveat with "at this time".

Definitely rethinking my HH loyalty...
Old Apr 6, 17, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Always a little scary when loyalty programs feel the need to caveat with "at this time".

Nothing wrong with stating 'at this time'. If you think Marriott and SPG's reward offerings are set in stone forever, you're going to be very disappointed at a later time.
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole View Post
Nothing wrong with stating 'at this time'. If you think Marriott and SPG's reward offerings are set in stone forever, you're going to be very disappointed at a later time.
Actually, Marriott and Starwood have been structurally much more stable than HHonors. The fundamental building blocks in those two programs have remained the same for many, many years. Marriott has had 1 revamp in the past decade that entailed an across-the-board increase in award costs - BUT - it also included increased earnings for elites that mostly offset the cost increase, and it dumped the formerly-annoying two-tier availability scheme. The program got better - for real. Starwood's only change of note has been a downgrade of the quality of their promotions, but that's a bit of a different topic.

HHonors, on the other hand, has had at least 2 (or is it 3?) major structural overhauls in the past decade. Entire awards that I used to book regularly are completely gone. That's why "at this time" is especially anxiety-inducing with Hilton. It feels like they move the goalposts in this program a LOT....more than just the gradual annual Category Creep that all programs are known to drop on their members.

It doesn't necessarily kill off my desire to stay at Hilton, but it does make me reevaluate how much I find the stays worth, relative to nearby Marriott competitors where I hold a similar status.

(Obviously 2017 is a unique case for MR and SPG. I'll enter 2018 with a modest balance of SPG, expecting a hybrid program that is slightly less rewarding than either of them are today. I definitely wouldn't advise anyone to stockpile there thinking 2018 will suddenly get *more* rewarding.)
Old Apr 6, 17, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar View Post

Earn and burn, baby.

And that's now quite easy with the new Honors points structure.
Old Aug 16, 17, 6:15 am
duo

When did these changes go fully live?

Absolutely kicking myself I didn't book my hotels earlier. Hilton have basically put the nail in the coffin of what was a flagging reward programme.

Anyone got a recommendation for another chain?
Old Aug 16, 17, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by duo View Post

Absolutely kicking myself I didn't book my hotels earlier. Hilton have basically put the nail in the coffin of what was a flagging reward programme.

Every big chain has had similar "enhancements".
Old Aug 16, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Looking at Labor Day awards. Was Hampton Bar Harbor in Acadia National Park a Cat 9 before the devaluation?
Old Aug 16, 17, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jacobguo View Post
Looking at Labor Day awards. Was Hampton Bar Harbor in Acadia National Park a Cat 9 before the devaluation?
Showing as max 80,000 which I think was C9.

The site with the maximums is still live for to check any property.
Old Aug 16, 17, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post
Thanks. Was using an old database which showed Cat 7.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 17, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by duo View Post

Well, if you liked the breadth of HH, your first stop is probably Marriott.

Hilton's not dead to me: just frustrating that the big devaluations followed by big promos make me keep re-doing the math. Now my baseline is earning 50-60 points per dollar...the whole thing is beginning to feel a bit IHG-ish to me.

Marriott and Starwood keep the level of their "currency" a bit more stable, but that alone doesn't make them a better or worse program. Kind of depends on what you're after... If you earn HH now, be prepared to spend it now.
duo likes this.
Old Aug 16, 17, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by jacobguo View Post
Thanks. Was using an old database which showed Cat 7.
Looked at that property early this year and I think it was 60k at that time.

Search this Thread