Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Pool and spa removal ( U.K. Hiltons )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond

I dont know exactly how many of you read my trip reports but for those that do you probably notice I'm a big fan of the sauna before starting an evening out and sometimes a swim before breakfast as I find this a refreshing way to start the day.
In the past I've even booked inferior hiltons with spa facilities against the better ones without, in the same town ( Hilton Milton Keynes over doubletree Milton Keynes springs to mind ).
I've got some stays coming up and whilst looking at old favourites I've noticed they no longer have spas?......Hilton Milton Keynes, Stanstead, Warwick, doubletree Cambridge and even the Watford one I've booked for this Friday night no longer have swimming pools and saunas!.
Am I alone or does anyone else agree that this is a downgrade to the hilton name.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
I dont know exactly how many of you read my trip reports but for those that do you probably notice I'm a big fan of the sauna before starting an evening out and sometimes a swim before breakfast as I find this a refreshing way to start the day.
In the past I've even booked inferior hiltons with spa facilities against the better ones without, in the same town ( Hilton Milton Keynes over doubletree Milton Keynes springs to mind ).
I've got some stays coming up and whilst looking at old favourites I've noticed they no longer have spas?......Hilton Milton Keynes, Stanstead, Warwick, doubletree Cambridge and even the Watford one I've booked for this Friday night no longer have swimming pools and saunas!.
Am I alone or does anyone else agree that this is a downgrade to the hilton name.

I couldn't agree more, it is a downgrade, it has happened at a couple of Hiltons we would go to as well. I can't understand the logic? Other than cost saving of course.

In certain areas depending on where I am travelling I set a budget on what I think and what facilities the hotel has and benefits. (As I am sure most do) for us no pool on a 2 night stay would take of about 20% of the rate. It may not bother some as much but we do like to relax in the spa and pool areas. Plus you don't feel as guilty after eating far too much during the stay and having one too many glasses of wine!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HiltonFreak
I couldn't agree more, it is a downgrade, it has happened at a couple of Hiltons we would go to as well. I can't understand the logic? Other than cost saving of course.

In certain areas depending on where I am travelling I set a budget on what I think and what facilities the hotel has and benefits. (As I am sure most do) for us no pool on a 2 night stay would take of about 20% of the rate. It may not bother some as much but we do like to relax in the spa and pool areas. Plus you don't feel as guilty after eating far too much during the stay and having one too many glasses of wine!
Yup, spot on!......maybe it's just me and you alone on this one mate, but it is a huge factor for me, not a game changer but it's the reason I first started staying Hilton many years back.......will see.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Hi Wizla, it is annoying, but from a business point of view very expensive to run. Also I am sure someone may have more info, but a lot where to do with sale of the hotels, and Livingwell no longer being used. Its a combination of a number of factors.
But same as you I like sauna/gym at least.
Interesting, new Novotels are installing this. Blackfriars, and I have to say Novotel Brentford at Ł40 a night with 8% cash back, with sauna and gym is excellent if you want to visit Kew/Heathrow or London
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Well, it's a factor for me too so let's hope it doesn't spread to continental Europe where I'm travelling.....
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:45 am
RJJ

Programs: Hilton, IHG, BA
Originally Posted by wizla
Did the Hilton Warwick ever have a spa? I've been staying there over the past couple of years and have never noticed it. If you want a pool/spa the best alternative would be the DT Coventry (newly renovated) or the Hilton Birmingham over at the NEC (huge pool). I tend to prefer the Hilton Warwick though as they've always taken good care of me .
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RJJ
Did the Hilton Warwick ever have a spa? I've been staying there over the past couple of years and have never noticed it. If you want a pool/spa the best alternative would be the DT Coventry (newly renovated) or the Hilton Birmingham over at the NEC (huge pool). I tend to prefer the Hilton Warwick though as they've always taken good care of me .
Yep, Warwick did have a pool and sauna, I used it many times, it closed 2 years ago according to a management reply on TA , agree on Coventry and Birmingham Hilton's yes, especially Birmingham.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:02 pm

I don't pick hotels unless they have a pool and don't return unless the gym has good free weights a bench and a squat rack. Info hard to find before a stay. I don't care how much it costs, if I did. I'd be staying in an ibis or travel inn. Hilton are not cheap and they should be full service hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.