More Lunacy from Diamond Customer Care

Old Feb 5, 17, 9:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i think all my replies ever received have ***SPAM*** or SUSPECTED SPAM in them.

Replies from the diamond desk usually say SUSPECTED SPAM.. ([email protected])

Replies from the customer service desk say ***SPAM*** ([email protected])

sometimes replies from ([email protected])

not sure why so many email accounts are replying though.
What email address do you fellow diamond members send to?
Old Feb 5, 17, 2:37 pm

Here's my totally brilliant [email protected] response.

I have 3 stays in 2017. I have received points for all 3. However, my dashboard says that I have 2 stays. After 3 emails back and forth trying to get the third stay credit, I received a reply this morning telling me that I have 3 stays and I need 28 more to requalify for diamond. Of course, the dashboard still says 2 stays, and one needs 30 (not 31) stays to requalify for diamond.

Sometimes, it so sad it makes me laugh.
Old Feb 5, 17, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Customer service from the Diamond desk is now unacceptable, I've had some horrendous issues recently.
After being put on hold on the phone for 47 minutes because my points were not returned from a cancelled reservation, they simply acknowledged they were in a black hole but said there was nothing they could do about it and could not credit the missing 30,000 points back into my account. ( I cancelled within the required timeframe). None of my visa 5,000 points posted. I simply gave up after about 11 emails having been accused of being a liar and they insisted that I had not booked via the app.
Diamond membership simply means nothing today!
Old Feb 5, 17, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG, AGR
Wow. I hadn't realized that Diamond service was so atrocious. I had an issue a couple of weeks ago, but thought it was just me. I was at a Hampton Inn that had multiple issues, and they refused to offer their satisfaction guarantee because it was due to a plumbing problem they have no control over (??) Every time I contacted corporate, they referred the issue to the hotel, who offered me 20,000 points (one night at the hotel costs 50,000). Finally, I called Diamond, and they offered me the same thing - 20,000 points. I pointed out that's not acceptable, and they finally gave me what the hotel was actually worth for a night (50,000 points) while still insisting I was lying and the hotel had informed me of the issues in question beforehand. About a week later I get an email saying I'll get a $150 gift card in addition (which I've since received) but it honestly makes me think that it might be cheaper for them to actually train their employees instead of throwing gift cards at customers in the hopes of mitigating the damage. I must've spent at least an hour on the phone arguing with them and being told that I was lying.

Totally soured my desire to be loyal to Hilton. I got Diamond from a status match, and once it expires I'm probably going to stick with other brands. If their highest status is treated like their lowest status, what is actually the point?
Old Feb 5, 17, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Raffles Ambassador
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
I must've spent at least an hour on the phone arguing with them and being told that I was lying.
Exactly, this is the part I just can't tolerate, the ample wasted time to resolve simple issues, and then to top it off, being called a liar.

I am certainly not a serial complainer, I think in my 4-5 years of Hilton membership I have complained to Hilton 1-2 times (always about points issues), so I don't appreciate my integrity being challenged on the rare occasion when I do, all for the sake of a few thousand points (in my case anyway)
Old Feb 5, 17, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG, AGR
Originally Posted by Matthew_22 View Post
Exactly, this is the part I just can't tolerate, the ample wasted time to resolve simple issues, and then to top it off, being called a liar.

I am certainly not a serial complainer, I think in my 4-5 years of Hilton membership I have complained to Hilton 1-2 times (always about points issues), so I don't appreciate my integrity being challenged on the rare occasion when I do, all for the sake of a few thousand points (in my case anyway)
Someone understands me! By the end of the entire thing, I just had a completely sour taste in my mouth. I got what I wanted, I suppose (compensation in terms of points/gift cards) and I'll be making a stay at another Hilton portfolio with those points/money, but somehow being called a liar and wasting an hour of your life on the phone takes the charm of staying at the Waldorf Astoria. By the end, I got the sense they just threw money at me to get me to shut up, not because they realized they'd actually screwed up - and I also forgot to mention that they offered me a Be My Guest certificate for a Hampton Inn, then for any Hilton brand portfolio, then for a Hampton Inn, then 20,000 points. Their compensation kept changing, which honestly confirms for me that they either don't want to retain loyal customers or have no idea how to.
Old Feb 6, 17, 4:15 am

Part of the problem is and it's the same with most companies not just Hilton is that every time you call, click live chat or email you get someone different.

Once it gets into what I would call the horror story stage which is the fourth or fifth call within a short period of time the matter should be getting allocated to someone to deal with rather than it being passed round a contact centre where more often than not all they are doing is regurgitating the notes left by the previous colleague you spoke to and adding a bit more onto it which only adds to the fury as what they are adding on is usually even more wrong than it was to start with.

There is no ownership and no checks in place to ensure that what needs to be done to rectify the situation is actually done. The emphasis seems to be on moving on to the next case rather than resolving the current one properly.

Last edited by chrism20; Feb 6, 17 at 4:20 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 6, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
The Diamond desk is becoming downright outrageous. I had so many issues with their way of handling my emails in the last two years. The best thing to do, is to really burst into laughter about the insanity that reigns there and spend your money elsewhere. Otherwise it might just drive you crazy.

I had a stay at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai last year. I booked a room through my own private Hilton account. My Vice-President Corporate Travel had booked two dozen rooms for our employees, to accommodate them for a corporate event. This was during the Singapore Airlines Triple Miles promotion in Asia, for which I registered and received miles for previous stays at other properties. Six weeks after my stay in Shanghai, I noticed that I did not receive the miles for this stay. Since my final bill was well over 8000USD for a suite and incidentals, excluding the two dozen rooms for my company, the number of miles that I should have received was considerable.

I have send 8 emails and got 8 different and completely useless and off-topic replies. The last awnser I received was truly ludicrous:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the promotions. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

It appears that this particular promotion was only available to a targeted group, and we apologize that we are unable to extend this opportunity to anyone outside of that targeted group.

Hilton HHonors runs several promotions throughout the year, so be sure that the email subscriptions in your account profile are up to date so that you can receive our latest promotional offers".

This was the funniest one of all. I always had all "receive promotional emails" boxes ticked in my account and never received a single one. The Singapore Airlines Triple Miles in Asia promotion was not targeted, it was accessible to any member.

It is baffling how incompetent this customer service has become through my 9 years as a Hilton Honors Diamond member and 9 years of corporate contracts for my company's employees. I just gave up with the Hilton Diamond desk and instructed my Vice-President Corporate Travel, not to renew any of our worldwide corporate contracts with Hilton for 2017. We switched to Starwood, who were happy to take our average spending of 4 million USD a year with Hilton.

Ofcourse all hell broke lose when we did not renew our worldwide corporate contracts. Our Hilton Woldwide sales contacts went out of there way to apologize and promise that something like this would never happen again. But in all fairness, spending 12.000USD or 4.000.000USD through corporate contracts a year as a Diamond member, should not make any difference to the way you are being treated by Hilton.

Only after they discovered that I, as a private individual, was linked to an awful lot of corporate contract bookings, they were willing to to solve the issue. Very sad, but the continuing mess at the Hilton Diamond desk just drove me and my company away.
hi55us likes this.

Last edited by Beolab; Feb 6, 17 at 6:07 am
Old Feb 6, 17, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Beolab View Post
The Diamond desk is becoming downright outrageous. I had so many issues with their way of handling my emails in the last two years. The best thing to do, is to really burst into laughter about the insanity that reigns there and spend your money elsewhere. Otherwise it might just drive you crazy.

I had a stay at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai last year. I booked a room through my own private Hilton account. My Vice-President Corporate Travel had booked two dozen rooms for our employees, to accommodate them for a corporate event. This was during the Singapore Airlines Triple Miles promotion in Asia, for which I registered and received miles for previous stays at other properties. Six weeks after my stay in Shanghai, I noticed that I did not receive the miles for this stay. Since my final bill was well over 8000USD for a suite and incidentals, excluding the two dozen rooms for my company, the number of miles that I should have received was considerable.

I have send 8 emails and got 8 different and completely useless and off-topic replies. The last awnser I received was truly ludicrous:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the promotions. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

It appears that this particular promotion was only available to a targeted group, and we apologize that we are unable to extend this opportunity to anyone outside of that targeted group.

Hilton HHonors runs several promotions throughout the year, so be sure that the email subscriptions in your account profile are up to date so that you can receive our latest promotional offers".

This was the funniest one of all. I always had all "receive promotional emails" boxes ticked in my account and never received a single one. The Singapore Airlines Triple Miles in Asia promotion was not targeted, it was accessible to any member.

It is baffling how incompetent this customer service has become through my 9 years as a Hilton Honors Diamond member and 9 years of corporate contracts for my company's employees. I just gave up with the Hilton Diamond desk and instructed my Vice-President Corporate Travel, not to renew any of our worldwide corporate contracts with Hilton for 2017. We switched to Starwood, who were happy to take our average spending of 4 million USD a year with Hilton.

Ofcourse all hell broke lose when we did not renew our worldwide corporate contracts. Our Hilton Woldwide sales contacts went out of there way to apologize and promise that something like this would never happen again. But in all fairness, spending 12.000USD or 4.000.000USD through corporate contracts a year as a Diamond member, should not make any difference to the way you are being treated by Hilton.

Only after they discovered that I, as a private individual, was linked to an awful lot of corporate contract bookings, they were willing to to solve the issue. Very sad, but the continuing mess at the Hilton Diamond desk just drove me and my company away.
Too bad not all of us have the same "power" to make corporate folks sit up and take notice. If a few regular diamonds leaves, they would barely register except maybe for some algorithm that sends out a win-back promo. Your corporate account equals to a few hundred (profitable) Diamonds leaving at the same time.
Old Feb 6, 17, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
It sounds like they have outsourced cs and just told them to say "no" to everything.

It's really not a smart strategy when several of their competitors still have competent, US based, customer service.
Old Feb 6, 17, 9:39 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What you refer to as the "Diamond Desk" is simply meant to make you feel good. You are simply having your contact (email or phone) routed to a theoretically more senior and empowered agent. But, all of it is software-screened, so you are really being screened by a piece of software, not a human, which is suggesting a few pre-set responses which predictively respond to the issue.

As is pointed out above, the people who get attention are the customers. Those are the people who drive business. PayItForward is the perfect example. Alone unimportant. But, when the system picks up that there is real corporate business at stake that customer is now important and a live human being was assigned to fix a simple issue. Without that, Hilton figures that if one customer jumps ship it doesn't matter because there is a similarly-dissatisfied Marriott / Hyatt customer who is inbound to make up for it.
Old Feb 6, 17, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Without that, Hilton figures that if one customer jumps ship it doesn't matter because there is a similarly-dissatisfied Marriott / Hyatt customer who is inbound to make up for it.
Marriott has outstanding cs. Really excellent. Hyatt is okay. At least they're Hyatt employees, not an offshore contractor.
Old Feb 6, 17, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Why on earth would you need the card, much less waste your time requesting one numerous times?
I've had every card since 2010, Silver, Gold and Diamond. I'm also waiting for my card to come through, hopefully I get the Big Ben Gold card through while trying to qualify for Diamond.
Has been over 6 weeks, maybe worth opening a new thread for this.
Old Feb 6, 17, 12:13 pm

And I thought IHG customer service is bad. Are they competing in an olympics of which hotel chain provides the worst cs?
Old Feb 6, 17, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
And I thought IHG customer service is bad. Are they competing in an olympics of which hotel chain provides the worst cs?
Both are bad but I still reckon Accor gets the gold medal.

Search this Thread