Never been upgraded as a diamond

Old Feb 1, 17, 2:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 35
Never been upgraded as a diamond

I don't travel much, but I've stayed with Hilton 4 times last year, each around 2~4 nights and have never gotten any upgrades, not even talking about suites, just maybe higher floor, corner room...etc.

I didn't check the inventory, so maybe the hotels were all sold out, but I'd figure one of these stays would result in an upgrade.

I have 2 more stays comping up through April and I'm just wondering if I should keep booking with Hilton when there are plenty of other hotels to pick from? Breakfast is about the only perk I've gotten and it's not really worth the trouble.

Is this just bad luck? What are your experiences like?
Mintycat is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:17 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SEA
Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Posts: 13,554
I get upgraded regularly without asking. As a matter of fact, without my prompting, I had a desk clerk apologize to me that one wasn't available (DT Lloyd Center, Portland, OR). Bear in mind that an "upgrade" is only for certain brands, optional at others. On your upcoming stays, feel free to ask politely: "Is there a Diamond upgrade available?"

Perhaps, the hotels are recognizing that a recent Hilton member with few lifetime stays who is a Diamond is a status match result, so putting them behind other Diamonds? Just a thought ...
Points Scrounger is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:26 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 28,900
I get upgraded regularly as a gold and diamond in Asia. If you are staying in a full service property, always inquire about an upgrade.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:33 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I get upgraded regularly without asking. As a matter of fact, without my prompting, I had a desk clerk apologize to me that one wasn't available (DT Lloyd Center, Portland, OR). Bear in mind that an "upgrade" is only for certain brands, optional at others. On your upcoming stays, feel free to ask politely: "Is there a Diamond upgrade available?"

Perhaps, the hotels are recognizing that a recent Hilton member with few lifetime stays who is a Diamond is a status match result, so putting them behind other Diamonds? Just a thought ...
Yeah, maybe they have some secret backend stuff that spits out "no upgrade for you!" for status match people, haha. I hate asking for free stuff but I'll do it next time just to see if it's necessary.
Mintycat is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:48 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,232
Originally Posted by Mintycat View Post
maybe they have some secret backend stuff that spits out "no upgrade for you!" for status match people, haha
It definitely seems to matter.

I got more regular upgrades as a Gold. But I did get a fantastic suite upgrade at Hilton Mexico City Reforma last week. First real upgrade in about 10 stays as a matched Diamond. So if the idea of matching my Hyatt status was to encourage me to make Diamond on nights/stays, it's not working so far.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:51 pm
  #6  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Spire Elite and lots more....
Posts: 2,396
No offence to the OP, but it would be nice to think that hotels reward those Diamonds that have actually earned the status.
GentleGiant is online now  
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:16 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
No offence to the OP, but it would be nice to think that hotels reward those Diamonds that have actually earned the status.
None taken. But if matched diamonds are just second class citizens, make it clear and I'll take my business elsewhere, no big deal. Definitely less inclined to book with Hilton after reading the comments.
Mintycat is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:22 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It definitely seems to matter.

I got more regular upgrades as a Gold. But I did get a fantastic suite upgrade at Hilton Mexico City Reforma last week. First real upgrade in about 10 stays as a matched Diamond. So if the idea of matching my Hyatt status was to encourage me to make Diamond on nights/stays, it's not working so far.
Should have just kept my gold status, lol.
Mintycat is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:24 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: HH Gold
Posts: 68
Just wondering what hotels didn't upgrade you?

Most of my stays have been in the UK, Middle East and Asia. Always received an upgrade either as a Gold, Diamond and even once as a Silver.
diablo77 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:24 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,541
Depends on the hotel

Those I stay in regularly- yes. This I drop into for 1 night - rarely.

That seems ok to me.
Barnaby100 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:28 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by diablo77 View Post
Just wondering what hotels didn't upgrade you?

Most of my stays have been in the UK, Middle East and Asia. Always received an upgrade either as a Gold, Diamond and even once as a Silver.
All of them in the US so far, one upcoming in France.
Mintycat is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: not far from MUC
Posts: 6,301
Originally Posted by diablo77 View Post
Just wondering what hotels didn't upgrade you? (..) Always received an upgrade either as a Gold, Diamond and even once as a Silver.
Were those upgrades, well, noticeable upgrades, or what we might call a "technical upgrade" (hardly worth having)?

I've had agents mention upgrades at check-in dozens of times, but very few (like "count on one hand" few) resulted in a room noticably better than the one I'd booked.

Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
No offence to the OP, but it would be nice to think that hotels reward those Diamonds that have actually earned the status.
My lifetime nights is now low three figures, was diamond in 2016 on stays.
shorthauldad is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:48 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 35
I think I have a better grasp on the whole upgrade thing. Depends on the hotel, asking for it, and (maybe) derpy version of diamond from match. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Mintycat is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 5:36 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 990
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
Were those upgrades, well, noticeable upgrades, or what we might call a "technical upgrade" (hardly worth having)?

I've had agents mention upgrades at check-in dozens of times, but very few (like "count on one hand" few) resulted in a room noticably better than the one I'd booked....
We were told once that we'd been upgraded to the "HHonors floor"; when we got up to the room we truly couldn't figure out how it was an upgrade. It was a small room which overlooked the freeway. So my husband called down to the front desk to ask exactly how this was an upgrade and the clerk just kept repeating "it's on the HHonors floor."
ehallison is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 5:45 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,425
I've been a Diamond for several years now & have only ever been upgraded when I specifically complained about all the times I was not upgraded at a certain property. And then it was just for 1 stay, despite the fact that I stayed @ this particular hotel every month for 18+ months. And it was a full service Hilton, btw.

Have a stay coming up next week that I've been told I will be given an upgrade for as consolation for something that mysteriously vanished from my room when I was there 2 weeks ago. Mind you, the stay 2 weeks ago, as a Diamond, did not rate an upgrade but reporting a missing/stolen item does.

So, I see no reason to go out of my way to renew as a Diamond anymore-just doesn't seem to be worth it, at least if your travel is only in the US. My feeling is that the US properties view high level elites the same way the airlines do now-we are supposed to be loyal to them, but they certainly don't feel the same. There are certainly exceptions, but I think that is because the specific property values my business, not because of anything having to do w/Hilton or my Diamond status. Clearly, from what others have posted, Hilton properties outside the US do seem to recognize & value Diamonds much more than their US counterparts.
txrus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: