Never been upgraded as a diamond

Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by ozztraveller
Found the HBS case on the OnQ and as far as I can find front office staff have the information no mention of front desk.
Page 4:

consistency of delivery depended heavily on adoption and use by the front desk staff
So like anything else, the human component is the limiting factor.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
This thread is pretty amusing if only because I get the feeling some posters on here would be absolutely shocked how much of their personal data, including past stays, transaction/purchase histories, management interactions, complaints, etc. etc. are available on OnQ.

As for why FD agents constantly ask if you've stayed before? The obvious answer is that it's a lot easier to be lazy. We all also know properties where the FD agents always say "welcome back" even if it's a gigantic property and we've never even been checked in by the same FD agent more than once.

Oh yeah, and I once had an FD agent say "wow, you have a lot of points" when I checked in. (Although I doubt I come close to the top 10% of FT'ers, and even that might be generous.)

Last edited by gengar; Feb 6, 2017 at 5:54 am
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by gengar
This thread is pretty amusing if only because I get the feeling some posters on here would be absolutely shocked how much of their personal data, including past stays, transaction/purchase histories, management interactions, complaints, etc. etc. are available on OnQ.
Yep.

It's almost as if a company wants to know more about its customers, and has the data to do so. A really foreign concept, I guess.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by gengar

As for why FD agents constantly ask if you've stayed before? The obvious answer is that it's a lot easier to be lazy. We all also know properties where the FD agents always say "welcome back" even if it's a gigantic property and we've never even been checked in by the same FD agent more than once.

Oh yeah, and I once had an FD agent say "wow, you have a lot of points" when I checked in. (Although I doubt I come close to the top 10% of FT'ers, and even that might be generous.)
I had a clerk who did know me actually ask, "Do you have plans to actually USE these points?" (400K at the time)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: delta, hilton
Upgrade

Thats funny, im about 25% upgraded. Decided to travel this weekend for personal vs work. Called the hotel, downtown big city, asked for an early upgrade and it was fulfilled.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I had a clerk who did know me actually ask, "Do you have plans to actually USE these points?" (400K at the time)
400k isn't a *ton* in HH. Not anymore.

(It used to be multiple weeks almost anywhere in the world, but I digress...)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I have 12 European stays coming up in a few days. I'm betting on 10/12 upgrades. Will report back.

11/12 and would have been 12/12 if the Manchester Airport was really a hotel. Some were executive rooms and some wwere nice corner rooms with with a view. 3 suites. I'm happy with the room assignments as a HH diamond.

Last edited by tkelvin69; Feb 25, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
400k isn't a *ton* in HH. Not anymore.

(It used to be multiple weeks almost anywhere in the world, but I digress...)
This was actually at an IHG property. 400K doesn't seen like a lot to most FT'ers, but in The Real World it is impressive.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Well, looks like I have to eat my words, got a nice upgrade for a one night stay. The amount of days you stay seem to matter, at least in my limited experience.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm pretty sure the folks at Hilton corporate would agree. I don't think your 4 stays per year has them shaking with fear over the prospect of missing their earnings target.
Haha, that statement is more for myself, wasn't really concerned with how much money I let them make with the 4 stays, not that obnoxious.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly
OP. Four stays is not a proper sampling of anything. You could have been at properties that were busy, brands that didn't upgrade......whatever.

I've had 9 stays in the last month. Had decent upgrades on four stays, a nothing upgrade on 1 stay, an excellent upgrade on another, and nothing on the other three stays.
You are right! And I'm thankful for everyone's input. Now I know upgrades just doesn't happen very often, along with all these different factors that contributes to getting one.

Last edited by Mintycat; Feb 7, 2017 at 12:35 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suite upgrades at Hilton and DT, no (just like other chains it seems).

HGI really has nothing to upgrade to, except perhaps a Jacuzzi room. Embassy Suites might upgrade to a "nicer" suite one category up. I get upgraded at one Homewood, but that could be as a guest who has had a problem in the past, other properties definitely don't. Hampton Inns with suites will sometimes upgrade elites into them.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond
I've had over ten years of Diamond Status now, almost all CON-US, status earned by heads-in-beds.

Three memorable upgrades:

1. Killer suite on a high floor at the Hilton Ground Zero in NYC, circa 2004. One night stay.

2. Killer suite looking over the Ocean at the Hilton Huntington Beach. One night stay.

3. Suite with comical decoration (black fixtures trimmed with gold, black / gold vertical striped wall paper + huge black & gold hot tub, which I had LOTS of fun in, with my GF at the time) at the Milwaukee Hilton. One night stay.

Anything else I've ever gotten has been trivial at best.

I'm currently on my 34th night this year (usually 3-4 day stays) and have gotten one upgrade. That was to the full breakfast instead of the continental at a property I stay at A LOT.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bradatlarge
2. Killer suite looking over the Ocean at the Hilton Huntington Beach. One night stay.
I'm checking into that hotel on Friday. Wonder if I'll get anything... Booked in "partial ocean view" room (which I've learned means you can see a tiny sliver of water somewhere if you crane your neck just right), mainly hoping for a good ocean view room. (No real suite expectation.)
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Asking helps. I put in the notes section of my reservation "Suite Upgrade Greatly Appreciated" and then ask at check in "any chance at a suite?". That helps me a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.