Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paul00
Official link showing the maximum number of points needed to redeem a standard room award after the changes: http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/

How will standard room rewards be affected by the changes?
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Will I earn bonus points on the cash portion of Points & Money bookings?

If you book a Points & Money rate when the new functionality goes live later this month [Feb 2017], the money portion will qualify to earn Hilton Honors Base Points. You'll also qualify to earn Bonus Points through eligible promotions, including the 2K Every Day promotion (note: I posted this update in the promotion thread, as well).

Points & Money stays booked under the current system are subject to the current Terms & Conditions of the program - therefore, you would not be eligible to earn Points on the cash portion of the stay.
Although the HonorsRepresentative stated in Feb 2017 that 'you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing', in June 2017 the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room rewards at four properties were raised. Furthermore, the HonorsRepresentative stated that:

While we won’t be updating you for each and every shift going forward, we’re fully committed to delivering the best value to our members, and will carefully consider any adjustments for Hilton Honors properties.
List of properties which have seen increases in the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room awards since the changes:
  • Hampton Inn closest to Universal Orlando, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to Cat 4 (max 30,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Hangzhou East, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Jiaxing, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wuhu, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Shenzhen Longhua, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Doubletree by Hilton Xiamen-Haicang, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Fuzhou Cangshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Suzhou, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ningbo, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago/Hoffman Estates, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Lincoln, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Las Vegas Airport, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Ningbo Beilun, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Shenzhen Bao'an, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Dandong, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Krakow, Poland, Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Conrad Macao Cotai Central: Cat 5 (max 40,000 points) to Cat 6 (max 50,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn LaGrange near Callaway Gardens, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Cartersville, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre, Belarus: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Foshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Corniche, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka, Malaysia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 15,000 points
  • Hampton by Hilton Nizhny Novgorod, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Samara, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ulyanovsk, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Volgograd, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Trabzon (previously Hilton Garden Inn Trabzon), Turkey: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • Hilton Salalah Resort, Oman: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
Print Wikipost

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by SR12
Correct me if I am wrong, but iirc until now under the old rules it was solely up to the hotel to decide what months (if any) they wanted to declare "low season". So what would have stopped the hotel in the past to just deem the whole year as high season (like e.q. the Conrad Maldives) and require the max. pts for the hotel category?
As far as I can tell the change doesn't really give you more or less "security" about the minimum points you need to get a room or "low season point redemption rates".
That I don't know about, to be fair. But right now, for the specific example I gave, "low" for 7 nights is 59,500 points. when you go to book it, that "low" room may no longer be available (there were a few times I saw that, so if you wanted a free stay you'd have to book a premium room). The issue I see with the dynamic pricing is that there may still be a "low" day/week/whatever, but now, due to demand (let's say there's just one room left at low) now it'll run you 80k/night points with a demand-based system.

Maybe in 2 weeks it'll drop down to 60k, maybe in 3 more after that it'll jump to 90k.

At least now I can look at a set schedule and know what it'll be vs. constantly changing with a dynamic, load-based system.

Unless it's going to work differently.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:37 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but iirc until now under the old rules it was solely up to the hotel to decide what months (if any) they wanted to declare "low season".
This is correct.

As far as I can tell the change doesn't really give you more or less "security" about the minimum points you need to get a room
I disagree: you'll have essentially no security whatsoever in short order, because unlike today there will be no cap on the number of points a property can charge for a standard room.

Yes, Hilton is making promises about keeping the caps in place at the time the transition occurs. But at some point very soon--my money is on Q1 2018 or before--that will evaporate.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:43 pm

Hi Lauren

Thank you for the information.
One of the new perks are to be able to extent diamond level for an additional year.

It states that the member shall have been diamond 3+ years plus the requirements on base points/number of nights.

My questions is - shall it be three consecutive years in order to use this perk?

Thank you
HJ
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Wow - it is hard to fathom how so many savvy FTers have the wool pulled over their eyes w/r/t HHonors. Mark my words: this will turn out to be a massive devaluation, and even worse it will be a sneaky and hidden devaluation as people will forget the category levels that fixed the award price for various properties.

DL went the same route and now there is no way to predict how many miles you will need for any given trip as there are no award charts. So all you can do is look at the current rate and use that as a guide for future trips. But there is no guarantee as DL is free to change the award price whenever and however it wants.
Agreed. It baffles me that DL eliminated award charts and they were branded as evil but Hilton does a very similar thing and its a good thing because they promised to use the same category maximums for some time period.

Umm... didn't DL do something similar when they removed their charts? Maybe FT and most of the bloggers are happy because an official representative or VP told them as the changes were being made so there is an appearance of being more upfront on this.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I disagree: you'll have essentially no security whatsoever in short order, because unlike today there will be no cap on the number of points a property can charge for a standard room.
But what gave you that security under the old rules? The low season pricing was completely up the hotels own discretion and could pretty much change between now and the time I finish writing that post, without any further notice.

A category change might not be as easy, but hotels have regularly changed categories in the past (more often going up, rarely going down), so even under the old rules a property could be moved up a category or two while you try to save up enough points to book a room or before you actually do your reservation.

And yes, I agree with you that once the "transition period" is gone, there will be little chance to play ahead and the prices for properties like the Conrad Maldives will probably go through the roof and easily reach 6-figures. My post was related to the transition period though, while that cap at the current category maximum is still in play.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Lauren, who are these HH members that asked for these changes? It is not the folks here on FT -
They were referred over (recycled) by Hyatt after making their focus group recommendations for World of Hyatt.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:07 pm

I thought I'd chime in with some of my thoughts of the high/low season and how this might not be huge problem (assuming the maximum points redemption for a property doesn't change, which I admit is a difficult assumption to make; and that the points earning remains the same). It all depends on the algorithm/gauge used by the Honors systems to choose high vs. low seasons for 100% points booking. which I appreciate is a fairly obvious decision.

The hotel's choice of offpeak season was presumably based on somebody doing some form of analysis. Historical occupancy on a particular date/month and the average price for that date/month. If those historical trends hold this year, then the lower pricing should never be available for what were previously peak (i.e. no change). If the historical occupancy trends hold this year, the lower pricing should remain available for a lot of the dates that were previously offpeak by virtue of there being fewer people bookings anyway (and therefore the rate and occupancy levels being lower; i.e. little to no change). However, there will probably be a few days in what were previously 'peak dates' that will soon be lower due to having lower rates and occupancy levels too - say a random Tuesday in July might be at the lower pricing in the future, but that wouldn't be the case in the past because the hotel had chosen the whole month of July as peak (I acknowledge that Premium Room Rewards might negate the benefit of this a little as one could sometimes find a premium room reward as lower than the standard peak room reward anyway).

Of course, the above depends on where the dynamic pricing systems sets the gauge of high vs. low pricing. The gauge might be set to allow low pricing in too stringent/restricted a set of circumstances (plus it might also take into account more than just occupancy on a particular day but also occupancy on the days before and after too; and a comparison between the current calendar booking day and historical trends of bookings for far out stay days were on the same booking day in the past).

I hope that made sense on my thoughts. My perception on if this is good/bad depends on a) how tight the gauge for high/low pricing is set, and b) if the maximum points creeps up. I know others will disagree. Overall, I think it is too early to work out what effect this will have in the medium-term let alone the long-term. In the short term (i.e. for the first six months), it could be a fairly beneficial move to many member of the Honors program whether 3-nights-a-year or 35 nights a year.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Feb 1, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:44 pm

Imho it sounds like HH will be like AccorHotels loyalty program.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Imho it sounds like HH will be like AccorHotels loyalty program.
Blergh, I hope not but can see why that suggestion is made. I find the Accor program so hard to get excited about, aside from the Happy Monday's promotion in the UK and Dublin. Moved my stays to Hilton and Marriott because I found the Accor program so dull. The Hilton program has a few benefits (e.g. the free breakfast, guaranteed lounge access) that would help to mitigate against that a little but it still wouldn't be a very exciting proposition. I think this enthusiasm is point that a few others mentioned a few higher up, and I agree with them.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat
Looks like the new tool is up. http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/ Someone need to create a database to see how many hotels went up or down.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:57 pm

There is no reason to eliminate the categories in order to implement this new scheme. What used to be the high season standard price can now be called the maximum dynamic price. People could look at the category and know what is the highest price, and meanwhile the go to the web site to see the price for their dates. And Hilton would give us a little warning when that price would go up or down.

So they can still do that. They can still have a list of hotels and for each one tell us the maximum dynamic price, much like the tool that Lauren gave us. And when Hilton wants to change the maximum dynamic price, just give a warning, much like today.

If Hilton does not want to keep us updated on the maximum dynamic price, that makes it look like they want to be able to raise the maximum price at any time without warning. Maybe that is in fact what their goal is.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:14 pm

But what gave you that security under the old rules?
The fact that property categories are (OK, were) very "sticky":
  • They tended not to change for any given property.
  • When they did change, it was at periodic (and roughly predictable) intervals.
  • In recent years, Hilton even gave you advance warning of category changes.
Yes, it's true that a property could (and still can, for the moment) change a given date from low to high season rates. The point here is that no matter how you slice it, there's still a hard cap on standard awards under the current category-based regime. Get ready to kiss that goodbye.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by nuetron
Looks like the new tool is up. http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/ Someone need to create a database to see how many hotels went up or down.
Yes I look forward to being able to have nights in top Central London hotels for almost "Half price".

Now all I have to work out when "Off peak" is in places like this.

On paper this looks and sounds great when you look at the different hotels on that website, however something in my head is saying something isn't right.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well I just checked for one night, any night, at the Conrad Tokyo, in October. The lowest award night is available for 127,000 points......
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:45 pm
cjd

Hi all,

Following up on some of the questions that I've seen come through...

Members will still achieve Hilton Honors status as before through stays, nights, or Hilton Honors Base Points. All Points & Money stays and nights will continue to count the same towards the achievement of Hilton Honors status. Also, Base Points are earned on the money portion spent on a stay.

Points & Money will be "always on" at any hotel with room availability, any time.

Thank you!
Lauren
Lauren, following your reply above, it's good to see that the money portion of Points and Money stays will now earn Base Points, which they did not under the old rules. Does this mean that the rule about members not earning points for Reward stays will be amended? Also, as asked by me in a previous earlier post in this thread, will the rule that states "If at least one night of the Member's stay is consumed with the use of points, the entire stay is considered a Reward Stay" be amended so that Base points will now be awarded? If not, it doesn't make sense to mix paid and points stays. We may as well make the whole stay Points and Money to get the Base points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.