Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 7, 18, 11:41 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: paul00
Wiki Link
Official link showing the maximum number of points needed to redeem a standard room award after the changes: http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/

How will standard room rewards be affected by the changes?
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative View Post
Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Will I earn bonus points on the cash portion of Points & Money bookings?

If you book a Points & Money rate when the new functionality goes live later this month [Feb 2017], the money portion will qualify to earn Hilton Honors Base Points. You'll also qualify to earn Bonus Points through eligible promotions, including the 2K Every Day promotion (note: I posted this update in the promotion thread, as well).

Points & Money stays booked under the current system are subject to the current Terms & Conditions of the program - therefore, you would not be eligible to earn Points on the cash portion of the stay.
Although the HonorsRepresentative stated in Feb 2017 that 'you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing', in June 2017 the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room rewards at four properties were raised. Furthermore, the HonorsRepresentative stated that:

While we won’t be updating you for each and every shift going forward, we’re fully committed to delivering the best value to our members, and will carefully consider any adjustments for Hilton Honors properties.
List of properties which have seen increases in the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room awards since the changes:
  • Hampton Inn closest to Universal Orlando, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to Cat 4 (max 30,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Hangzhou East, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Jiaxing, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wuhu, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Shenzhen Longhua, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Doubletree by Hilton Xiamen-Haicang, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Fuzhou Cangshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Suzhou, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ningbo, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago/Hoffman Estates, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Lincoln, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Las Vegas Airport, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Ningbo Beilun, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Shenzhen Bao'an, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Dandong, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Krakow, Poland, Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Conrad Macao Cotai Central: Cat 5 (max 40,000 points) to Cat 6 (max 50,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn LaGrange near Callaway Gardens, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Cartersville, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre, Belarus: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Foshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Corniche, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka, Malaysia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 15,000 points
  • Hampton by Hilton Nizhny Novgorod, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Samara, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ulyanovsk, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Volgograd, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Trabzon (previously Hilton Garden Inn Trabzon), Turkey: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • Hilton Salalah Resort, Oman: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 17, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by woresu View Post
VFTW's Gary said the representative mentioned 'this year' a few times
Saw a similar thing on HeadForPoints too. Got a fair few redemption bookings coming up (mostly in April and first week of June, so I wonder if the redemptions will get cheaper for either)
Old Feb 1, 17, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by username View Post
We have been enhanced

I am already pretty confused by the redemption point requirements and this will add to more confusion. I guess Hilton is like Delta...
Totally agree with you--removal of the redemption levels is the start of Hilton HHeading down the Delta runway. This will free them over time to start bumping up maximum redemption levels with impunity.

The "enhanced" points and cash system will probably also be a devaluation. Current values for P+C, where available, are spectacular--arguably the best part of HHonors program. While it is not often offered, I am confident that the new "always available" variable P+C will not come close to the old values.

As a general rule, be frightened (VERY frightened, in fact) when you see any Hilton Honors enhancements. There were two rounds of enhancements during the recent recesssion, and we all know how much LESS our points are now worth.

When I first saw this thread, I thought "finally--suite upgrades are coming to Diamond level". Have searched each page of this post looking for the word "suite". No such thing. Or did I miss something?

Last edited by travelexpert; Feb 1, 17 at 1:17 am
Old Feb 1, 17, 12:30 am
xyc

The faq is up: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/p...money/faq.html

6. How often will the Points price change?
Just as hotel room rates fluctuate, the number of Points required for a reward stay may vary in real time as well. With this change, we’re able to offer our Members lower Points prices during many off-peak periods.
All hope is gone. If Hilton actually listens to its members as it claims to, it does not care what we say. This is not what we wanted.

HHonorsRepresentative: We did not want this. We do not want this.

Everyone else: I don't know if cursing is allowed or appropriate on these forums, but if it is, now is the time for it.

Last edited by xyc; Feb 1, 17 at 2:38 am
Old Feb 1, 17, 12:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, RC Platinum, SPG Platinum, SA Silver, OW Ruby, TSA Pre-Check
I knew something's up when I logged into my account today and saw the layout completely changed. Not sure if I like these new changes and I'm definitely not optimistic about them. Having made a living out of business transformation and change management, I can testify that 99% of the time change is not good - especially if it's a business change, which obviously this is ... Meh.

Anyway, I'm thinking it may be helpful if someone can compile a list of property with the old redemption points requirements so that those of us who may be doing points or points + cash redemption can cross reference somehow?

Also, am I the only person having issues signing up for this 2000 points every day for each stay between Feb - Apr 2017 promotion?
Old Feb 1, 17, 1:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond and lots more....
Sad news to wake up to.

Sorry to see the end of points + cash

​​​​​The new system will mean a much higher rate of points or cash required.

Plenty of opportunities for hotels to quietly move to a higher number of points with no bands. Bad idea Hilton! We will soon forget that a hotel used to be 20,000 points and is now 50,000 points.

This will devalue the points that we hold.

Amazon will only apply to the USA, so no benefit there.

I am unlikely to be giving away points, so no benefit there.

It would have been nice to see actual increased benefits for Diamonds such as late checkout, but I guess with constant giving away of diamond status to people year after year there are too many.

Maybe after many years of Hilton we have to accept that the benefits are dead.
Old Feb 1, 17, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Faulty system repeating prior with one edit.
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:00 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
Sad news to wake up to.

Sorry to see the end of points + cash

​​​​​The new system will mean a much higher rate of points or cash required.

Plenty of opportunities for hotels to quietly move to a higher number of points with no bands. Bad idea Hilton! We will soon forget that a hotel used to be 20,000 points and is now 50,000 points.

This will devalue the points that we hold.

Amazon will only apply to the USA, so no benefit there.

I am unlikely to be giving away points, so no benefit there.

It would have been nice to see actual increased benefits for Diamonds such as late checkout, but I guess with constant giving away of diamond status to people year after year there are too many.

Maybe after many years of Hilton we have to accept that the benefits are dead.
No current maximum number of points will not go up.
So this will be a benefit when rates are low that points will be lower to.
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:56 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
This is a huge devaluation of points, cash and points will be worthless. U will only see "cheap" cash and points options when the rooms are cheap anyway, in high season u will have to pay high cash and point rates which won't make sense anymore. I'm burning my points as fast as I can now.

tell me one category 4 or higher hotel where it makes sense to use points when rates are low.
there is none....

Marriott will also have a big devaluation this year.
I'm finally free again xD and can stay wherever I want.
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A property that always had cash and points that I stay at regularly no longer has it. Seems this is just a sheep in wolf's clothing.
Old Feb 1, 17, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Hertz President's Circle
While I do recognize that removing reward charts opens the door to further large devaluations, I still think there are some positives in these changes.

The limits on points sharing seem to be generous and the fact there will be no charge to transfer points is a definite plus.
However poor the ratios and value for points offered will be from the new cash + points system, it will at least offer members who previously have left small amounts of points to expire with no way of using them, the opportunity to achieve a discount on the cash rate required for a hotel stay.
Old Feb 1, 17, 4:33 am

Agree with most here when they say that the removal of categories is worrying.

Yes it's great that initially the maximums will not change but take a look at how often HH tinker with the categories as it is. I can't believe that these maximums are going to be applied indefinitely given the frequency of "reviews" in the past.

Without trying to sound rude perhaps Lauren could show us where the membership that are apparently being listened to overwhelmingly stated that they wanted a reduction in transparency. This comes into the same category as a turkey voting for Christmas.
Old Feb 1, 17, 4:49 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Here's the link to the Standard Room Pricing tool I mentioned previously in the thread.

Reach out with any questions.

Thank you!
Lauren
Old Feb 1, 17, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative View Post
Hi all,

Here's the link to the Standard Room Pricing tool I mentioned previously in the thread.

Reach out with any questions.

Thank you!
Lauren
Hi Lauren,

Can you tell us when the highest amounts will change? So when will the Conrad go from 95,000 to 100k or more? Who can change this? Is that still coming from Honors or can the properties change this at will?

Previously you were evaluating this every quarter, can this change overnight? Which in our understanding is stealth increases by taking away the transparency.

A lot of the blogs are quoting the VP as saying it won't change this year, this means an effective "category" freeze for this year right?
Old Feb 1, 17, 5:01 am

WA Chicago, a 95k point/night hotel, is listing for $375 / night in June. This is about the average rate for a base room. The points option is now showing 64k/night. Interesting.
Not to say over time this won't go up over time, but at least right now the point redemption is far more in-line to what it should be.
Old Feb 1, 17, 6:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The pooling of the points is an awesome new feature! I am now so sure about the dynamic pricing though, especially of the current highest prices are to be removed in the future.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: