Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paul00
Official link showing the maximum number of points needed to redeem a standard room award after the changes: http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/

How will standard room rewards be affected by the changes?
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Will I earn bonus points on the cash portion of Points & Money bookings?

If you book a Points & Money rate when the new functionality goes live later this month [Feb 2017], the money portion will qualify to earn Hilton Honors Base Points. You'll also qualify to earn Bonus Points through eligible promotions, including the 2K Every Day promotion (note: I posted this update in the promotion thread, as well).

Points & Money stays booked under the current system are subject to the current Terms & Conditions of the program - therefore, you would not be eligible to earn Points on the cash portion of the stay.
Although the HonorsRepresentative stated in Feb 2017 that 'you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing', in June 2017 the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room rewards at four properties were raised. Furthermore, the HonorsRepresentative stated that:

While we won’t be updating you for each and every shift going forward, we’re fully committed to delivering the best value to our members, and will carefully consider any adjustments for Hilton Honors properties.
List of properties which have seen increases in the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room awards since the changes:
  • Hampton Inn closest to Universal Orlando, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to Cat 4 (max 30,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Hangzhou East, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Jiaxing, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wuhu, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Shenzhen Longhua, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Doubletree by Hilton Xiamen-Haicang, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Fuzhou Cangshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Suzhou, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ningbo, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago/Hoffman Estates, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Lincoln, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Las Vegas Airport, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Ningbo Beilun, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Shenzhen Bao'an, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Dandong, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Krakow, Poland, Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Conrad Macao Cotai Central: Cat 5 (max 40,000 points) to Cat 6 (max 50,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn LaGrange near Callaway Gardens, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Cartersville, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre, Belarus: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Foshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Corniche, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka, Malaysia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 15,000 points
  • Hampton by Hilton Nizhny Novgorod, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Samara, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ulyanovsk, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Volgograd, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Trabzon (previously Hilton Garden Inn Trabzon), Turkey: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • Hilton Salalah Resort, Oman: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
Print Wikipost

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
All I have to say is book all your points now while still have a chance to retain some value, before this garbage goes into effect. This is going to be the devaluation from hell. And then switch to another program.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Looking at the video on one of the bloggers it seems that if you use the dynamic points system you still have to pay taxes on the money portion of the redemption - big thumb down on that.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Following up on some of the questions that I've seen come through...

Members will still achieve Hilton Honors status as before through stays, nights, or Hilton Honors Base Points. All Points & Money stays and nights will continue to count the same towards the achievement of Hilton Honors status. Also, Base Points are earned on the money portion spent on a stay.

Points & Money will be "always on" at any hotel with room availability, any time.

Slider will be available on Premium room redemptions as well, the way those rewards are priced will not change from today.

When Points & Money officially launches at the end of February, we'll be using the hotel's previous peak redemption price as the continued maximum threshold for redemptions. Tomorrow you will be able to see more with the Standard Reward Pricing Tool.

Thank you!
Lauren
But will the "money" portion of Points and Money ever earn HH (or just H) points?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Looking at the video on one of the bloggers it seems that if you use the dynamic points system you still have to pay taxes on the money portion of the redemption - big thumb down on that.
I think the cash portion has always been subject to tax/service fees.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hilton Honors Eliminating All Rewards Categories

Today Hilton Honors (no longer HHonors) announced four changes to their loyalty program. Now you can pool up to 10 people's points, you can use a sliding combination of money and points for booking; you can extend diamond status. However, the biggest announcement is eliminating the 10 cats with award requirements of 5 to 95K points. The Doctor of Credit calls this a very negative move for us, the customers. I'm curious what do you think. Please post your reactions. Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Wow need to absorb this. Net effect is probably a deval. Now we won't have point thresholds to hit or save for. Redemption levels all over the board.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Right, but you aren't losing out in any way, you now have an additional easier opportunity to maintain your status when you do get to 250 nights.
well im traveing less and less, so Id like to take that break sooner rather than later, and I dont think I have enough nites to do that...but Ill keep trying.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:15 pm
jxd

[INDENT]1. More flexible Points & Money –Starting in late February, Hilton Honors members can use a flexible payment slider to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to pay for their stay, any time, with no blackout dates. Members can still opt to use all Points on award stays and elite members can continue to enjoy the popular 5th Night Free benefit.

Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Sure sounds good on paper, but it could potentially go the other way. I'm quite sure hilton will remove the "cap" as part as their devaluation in the near future.

Members will still achieve Hilton Honors status as before through stays, nights, or Hilton Honors Base Points. All Points & Money stays and nights will continue to count the same towards the achievement of Hilton Honors status. Also, Base Points are earned on the money portion spent on a stay.

Points & Money will be "always on" at any hotel with room availability, any time.

Slider will be available on Premium room redemptions as well, the way those rewards are priced will not change from today.

When Points & Money officially launches at the end of February, we'll be using the hotel's previous peak redemption price as the continued maximum threshold for redemptions. Tomorrow you will be able to see more with the Standard Reward Pricing Tool.
I like this, a lot. Thanks Lauren!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:34 pm

Lately don't see many "Points & Money" option at hotels. I wonder if they were removed in anticipation of this.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The big question: Will one position on the slider still give the same points / cash balance that existed before these changes (when a hotel had points + cash)?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have been enhanced

I am already pretty confused by the redemption point requirements and this will add to more confusion. I guess Hilton is like Delta...

My strategy has always been "just stay enough to make Diamond" with HH. I guess I will keep doing that and hope the other chains don't follow.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:03 pm

My experience is that a slider had never enhanced the value of points redemption but to devalue it. See the example of using airline miles. It's either an outright full redeemption or nothing
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Announcing new card design too... Can be viewed on desktop browser (print/download).
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Well, that's lovely that Hilton isn't increasing the maximum points cost of an award above 95,000. But the rest of it is more than a wee bit murky.

Take this, for example:What exactly does that mean? One thing you can take to the bank: it does NOT mean that a property which is cat 7 today will forever have a maximum award price of 60,000 points. Even under the present rules, Hilton can (and does) periodically change the categories, and thus the award costs, for various properties.

I think the weasel words here are "[a]s we make this transition." In other words, initially you won't see any increases, but at some future date--and you can bet it will be sooner rather than later--properties will be free to charge whatever they like, unconstrained by program category labels.

I'd love to be proven wrong, so fire away.
Unfortunately I think you are correct they initially will freeze the points redemption maximums and there is a high risk when they are allowed to float they go the wrong way. The two reasons I think it has a good chance to work out for lower redemption rates is one because a lot of the mid level redemptions 30,000 to 60,000 are currently over priced in comparison to the competition. The other reason is Honors, Hyatt and IHG/Ambassador Club have a BIG problem on their hands. If Marriott merges Marriott Rewards into SPG and allows SPG to continue as is and only change its name to MPG it will allow disgruntled World of Hyatt members, Honors and IHG Club members to use one program because of the massive foot print. So Honors should be immediately making their program more competitive which they seem to be doing. Plus Lauren is the best of the best. HHonors has been going completely in the right direction since she joined Flyertalk. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I was hoping one of the new perks was going to be a GUARANTEED 4 p.m. checkout for diamonds like all the competition offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.