Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paul00
Official link showing the maximum number of points needed to redeem a standard room award after the changes: http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/

How will standard room rewards be affected by the changes?
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Will I earn bonus points on the cash portion of Points & Money bookings?

If you book a Points & Money rate when the new functionality goes live later this month [Feb 2017], the money portion will qualify to earn Hilton Honors Base Points. You'll also qualify to earn Bonus Points through eligible promotions, including the 2K Every Day promotion (note: I posted this update in the promotion thread, as well).

Points & Money stays booked under the current system are subject to the current Terms & Conditions of the program - therefore, you would not be eligible to earn Points on the cash portion of the stay.
Although the HonorsRepresentative stated in Feb 2017 that 'you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing', in June 2017 the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room rewards at four properties were raised. Furthermore, the HonorsRepresentative stated that:

While we won’t be updating you for each and every shift going forward, we’re fully committed to delivering the best value to our members, and will carefully consider any adjustments for Hilton Honors properties.
List of properties which have seen increases in the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room awards since the changes:
  • Hampton Inn closest to Universal Orlando, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to Cat 4 (max 30,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Hangzhou East, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Jiaxing, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wuhu, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Shenzhen Longhua, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Doubletree by Hilton Xiamen-Haicang, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Fuzhou Cangshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Suzhou, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ningbo, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago/Hoffman Estates, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Lincoln, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Las Vegas Airport, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Ningbo Beilun, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Shenzhen Bao'an, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Dandong, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Krakow, Poland, Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Conrad Macao Cotai Central: Cat 5 (max 40,000 points) to Cat 6 (max 50,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn LaGrange near Callaway Gardens, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Cartersville, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre, Belarus: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Foshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Corniche, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka, Malaysia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 15,000 points
  • Hampton by Hilton Nizhny Novgorod, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Samara, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ulyanovsk, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Volgograd, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Trabzon (previously Hilton Garden Inn Trabzon), Turkey: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • Hilton Salalah Resort, Oman: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
Print Wikipost

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage
If you use cash plus points, does it count as "non-rev" as far as limited breakfast and so forth? It seems that if C+P is really "buying the rest of the points" then it should be non-rev. But if we're going to start getting points for spending the cash, then it's less clear to me.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:37 am

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I am currently looking at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in July and it is 60,000 points per night and the room is $340/night. Am I correct in assuming that if I wanted to use 50,000 points and pay money that it will be $56+50,000 points since $56 is 1/6 of the cost and 50,000 points covers the other 5/6 cost of the room? I hope that makes sense.

What also makes no sense to me is that if I want an ocean view room it costs $420 but the amount of points needed is 117,000 (almost double).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by mikef07
IAm I correct in assuming that if I wanted to use 50,000 points and pay money that it will be $56+50,000 points since $56 is 1/6 of the cost and 50,000 points covers the other 5/6 cost of the room?
I don't believe we've had any indication of what the conversion rate will be. Yours is a good guess, but we'll see.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by mikef07
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I am currently looking at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in July and it is 60,000 points per night and the room is $340/night. Am I correct in assuming that if I wanted to use 50,000 points and pay money that it will be $56+50,000 points since $56 is 1/6 of the cost and 50,000 points covers the other 5/6 cost of the room? I hope that makes sense.

What also makes no sense to me is that if I want an ocean view room it costs $420 but the amount of points needed is 117,000 (almost double).
This would appear to be what you can expect for the cash and points. You may also have to pay taxes and/or resort fees on top of your $56 that you would not have to pay with a straight points redemption and if you are staying 5 nights or more, you would not get your 5th night free if you use part cash.
The standard room points rate is constrained by the standard rate for the hotel. Premium awards, like the ocean view room, have no constraints and will typically (not always) be priced to make a point worth between 0.3 and 0.4 cents.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lg10
If you use cash plus points, does it count as "non-rev" as far as limited breakfast and so forth? It seems that if C+P is really "buying the rest of the points" then it should be non-rev. But if we're going to start getting points for spending the cash, then it's less clear to me.
IME, I've always received regular elite benefits on award stays and C&P stays. I haven't seen anything that would suggest that *new* C&P awards would disqualify you from elite benefits. (Aren't separate rules for "non-rev" mostly seen with airlines?)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
IME, I've always received regular elite benefits on award stays and C&P stays. I haven't seen anything that would suggest that *new* C&P awards would disqualify you from elite benefits. (Aren't separate rules for "non-rev" mostly seen with airlines?)
Oops I should have specified - internationally, there are often notifications like "award stays do not include breakfast". Sometimes, being Gold/Diamond seems to override this, but not always (there's a related thread on FT but I'm no expert!)...anyway, I don't remember reading about C+P in this context.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Animator
The problem is not only with the max prices but with lowest too.

For example, Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik. It is a cat 8 property, but in the low season it costs only 40K.
The cheapest rate for 14 Apr is 300 euro, and it is a prepaid rate. Or you can get this room for 40K.

Now, the new system shows the lowest price at 8K. Do you believe that you would get a 300 euro room for 8K?

I don't believe that you would get it even at 40K anymore. Probably 60-70K((
Redemption rates will most likely be tied to the cash rates so if a room is going for 300 EURs then it most likely won't be available at the 8K rate. Since it's the start of peak season in DBV, I'm going to guess the rooms will be available at the highest redemption rates.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oops I should have specified - internationally, there are often notifications like "award stays do not include breakfast". Sometimes, being Gold/Diamond seems to override this, but not always (there's a related thread on FT but I'm no expert!)...anyway, I don't remember reading about C+P in this context.
Maybe I'll go look for that thread...I'd be interested to see how FTers respond to hotels that say "your status is invalid on award stays." That seems to violate a very basic principle of the program: they don't punish you for using your points. (In practice, my best stays at Hilton over the years have almost all been award stays.)

A simple response would be (a) award stays never include breakfast, except in cases where the whole property gets breakfast and (b) it's my elite tier, not the rate type, that provides breakfast. As long as the rate type qualifies for elite benefits, which award stays do, I should receive the benefits.

Since that's how pretty much any FTer would respond, I guess I gotta find that thread.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Maybe I'll go look for that thread...I'd be interested to see how FTers respond to hotels that say "your status is invalid on award stays." That seems to violate a very basic principle of the program: they don't punish you for using your points. (In practice, my best stays at Hilton over the years have almost all been award stays.)

A simple response would be (a) award stays never include breakfast, except in cases where the whole property gets breakfast and (b) it's my elite tier, not the rate type, that provides breakfast. As long as the rate type qualifies for elite benefits, which award stays do, I should receive the benefits.

Since that's how pretty much any FTer would respond, I guess I gotta find that thread.
Whatever you learn, please share it if relevant!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Award stays always come with the Honors benefits of gold and diamond.

So breakfast is always free at properties where breakfast is a benefit.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:17 am

OK thank you!

The tricky breakfast question is - when one adult is Gold and the rest of the family accompanies (e.g. spouse and a couple of minor children) - and the stay is in an international hotel that includes breakfast for all paid stays but never for award stays - it seems to be all over the map as to who eats for how much cost, and where (lounge vs. restaurant etc.).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:05 pm

OK thank you!

The tricky breakfast question is - when one adult is Gold and the rest of the family accompanies (e.g. spouse and a couple of minor children) - and the stay is in an international hotel that includes breakfast for all paid stays but never for award stays - it seems to be all over the map as to who eats for how much cost, and where (lounge vs. restaurant etc.).
I think your confusing yourself somewhere. All Gold/Diamonds and one guest are entitled to breakfast at all properties except Waldorf's, because it is a published benefit of the Honors program. This is irregardless if the stay is paid or award.

Properties may go above and beyond and allow kids to eat free or allow the entire party to access the Executive Lounge for breakfast if the hotel has one, but they are not required too.

A lot of hotels has bed and breakfast rates that include breakfast for 2 adults + 2 children. This is an entirely different thing and only matters if you don't have status with Hilton. This would be the rate where if you are on a award stay you can't really book it. I believe this is what you keep referring too.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Breakfast is continental in many. This may be restricted to the executive lounge in some locations but it is a benefit for all gold and diamond as mentioned. Children may or may not be free. In reality they probably will be.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I think your confusing yourself somewhere. All Gold/Diamonds and one guest are entitled to breakfast at all properties except Waldorf's, because it is a published benefit of the Honors program. This is irregardless if the stay is paid or award.

Properties may go above and beyond and allow kids to eat free or allow the entire party to access the Executive Lounge for breakfast if the hotel has one, but they are not required too.

A lot of hotels has bed and breakfast rates that include breakfast for 2 adults + 2 children. This is an entirely different thing and only matters if you don't have status with Hilton. This would be the rate where if you are on a award stay you can't really book it. I believe this is what you keep referring too.
If a Diamond member reserves and pays for 2 rooms, one for he and his spouse, and a different room for another person, do all 3 people get breakfast? (both rooms in his name with the second room having the name of the "additional guest").
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If a Diamond member reserves and pays for 2 rooms, one for he and his spouse, and a different room for another person, do all 3 people get breakfast? (both rooms in his name with the second room having the name of the "additional guest").
This is really a YMMV situation but IME so far when booking multiple rooms; every room was given the benefits. Whether through being upgraded to the Executive floor or in 3 cases, comped breakfast in the restaurant for all registered guests in my booking, because the hotel didn't have a executive lounge.

I had 3 rooms with 3 persons per room. None were children. Again, this is up to each individual hotel and how generous they wan't to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.