Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Delays in recrediting points after cancelling a points stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

A bit of an odd one. Has anybody experienced any delays in the recrediting of points after cancelling a points stay?

I booked a 'premium rewards' points stay because it was cheaper than the standard points stay. However, I cancelled it because I decided that it wasn't worth it compared to an alternative hotel. The points haven't credited back yet and it has been a day since cancelling. Usually, the points recredit within a few minutes.

Note, that the booking was for a hotel stay in April 2017 and it is still only January 2017 now. The cancellation policy on the booking rate was 1 day prior to the stay.

I have both the confirmation email and cancellation emails. Interestingly, the cancellation email shows my HHonors balance with the correct number of points (i.e. the points refunded). However, looking in my HHonors account on the website and in the app shows the balance before cancelling.

Anybody else had anything similar?

Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If the points aren't back immediately, or at least after logging out and back into your account, you need to chase HHonors. It happens sometimes - quite annoying...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi craigthemif

Thanks for replying!

Indeed, I had already contacted the Hilton HHonors team. They told me that the points had reaccredited on the same day as I cancelled. This is not the case as the points balance has not changed. I feel this might be a bit of a back and forth by email (... yet again, that seems to be the common outcome with any issues with HHonors points for the past six months). I think somebody else had this issue a few weeks/months ago as I vaguely remember reading about it.

Notably, the cancellation email I have from HHonors lists what should be my correct balance (i.e. with the points recredited). There is a section on the cancellation (and the booking confirmation emails) which list the HHonors points balance. This does match up with what happens when I log into the Hilton webpage or open up the Hilton app on my phone. Something is not right: I don't know whether it is just the recredited points not displaying properly, or that the points were not correctly recredited through some automated process. I've emailed HHonors back to ask what they thought my HHonors balance was, and included a screenshot of what my balance is showing up as.

We shall see what response I get.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:04 am
Original Poster

I got a response. Hilton HHonors quoted me the correct points balance (i.e. the points being recredited). I told them that was not what I was seeing in my account, which I evidenced by sending them screenshots from the Hilton mobile app and the Hilton website. I asked for them to investigate and see if there was anything wrong.

We shall continue to see what happens, as this seems to be a technical issue with the displaying of the points.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've never had the points returned to my account automatically. Have to call every time. Marriott, on the other hand, returns cancelled points right away.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to let us know your expires linsj.

I've made and cancelled a number of points stays; this was the first instance that I had a delay with the points recreditting.

After a back and forth, HHonors told me that the points are there but might take a few days to appear at my end. I logged on tonight to see them there. All sorted, and thanks to the HHonors team for bearing with me whilst we were trying to work it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.