Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking For Someone Else - Earning Honors Points

Old Jan 8, 17, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors, SPG, Marriott

Hey guys, I checked the FAQ and did a search but wasn't able to pull up anything. Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else (I have a feeling it has).

I've made a cash booking for a colleague but I am not staying with him. I put him under additional guest.

Question: Am I eligible for points stay? The hotel is saying that I am not unless I make a physical appearance.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8, 17, 10:56 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
Lots of threads on this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...eone-else.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...my-status.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...advantage.html

TL;DR: The rules say you don't get the points if you don't stay, and your colleague is not eligible for your status benefits if you're not there.

Practically, YMMV. (Assuming you're OK with any "ethical concerns" about this, you're more likely to get the points the less of a big deal you make out of it.)
Old Jan 9, 17, 1:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
No, you aren't eligible. End of story.
Old Jan 9, 17, 3:46 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
You are not eligible to get points or stay credit for the room, but in practise you most likely will unless the check-in agent changes the name of the reservation to the name of your colleague (because you will not be there at check-in).
Old Jan 12, 17, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
You are not eligible to get points or stay credit for the room, but in practise you most likely will unless the check-in agent changes the name of the reservation to the name of your colleague (because you will not be there at check-in).
This happened to me. My friend checked in 2 hrs ahead of me. She had to hand over her CC at check-in and because of that, the reservation got changed to her name. I checked-in later. I did not know the name was changed (not added). We were in a rush and couldn't wait for the manager to take care of the name change at check out. Once you are checked out, you CANNOT change the name. I did call HHonors to get credit but was denied even though I had a CC receipt showing I paid for half.

Bottom line, if YOU are not paying for it, YOU will not get credit. That is in the T&C. I would NOT advise that you keep your CC for the charges just to scam credit for the room since your friend can charge anything and YOU will be responsible for paying.
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
How likely is it for a "2nd guest" to be denied check in entirely?

I'm thinking of booking a room for my parents (with my dad's name as 2nd guest). It doesn't matter so much if they get diamond benefits or not, but it does matter if the hotel won't even let him check in ...
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
How likely is it for a "2nd guest" to be denied check in entirely?
It depends upon the policies of the hotel and/or the opinion of the person running the Front Desk when your "2nd guest" arrives.

To be crystal clear, what you propose doing is fraud. It's not fraud that will ever be prosecuted. It's probably not even fraud that will get caught by Hilton. But, it is still fraud.
shuigao likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: