Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-NV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-NV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Not a good way to welcome Hilton's best customers.
Indeed they just lost me as a future guest, had a 7 night stay planned in march but I hate paying those irritating resort fee's.

Very bad move to charge this for gold and diamond members! I do not neer the extra's that are covered by this fee.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Gold; Club Carlson - Gold; Marriott - Silver; AA - Platinum
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Nichole, please do let us know what the Diamond benefits cover that are "so much more".
I usually do 3 or 4 four night stays in Vegas per year. I was almost exclusive to the LV Hilton and then swapped the last 2 stays this year for Elara for a change after LVH lost it's franchise.

I was excited to see that Doubletree were taking over the Tropicana, but refuse to pay a $20 per night resort fee when the LVH will let me stay there completely for free.

So I too would like to know how Diamonds will be looked after to justify $20/night, especially as I don't drink.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by TropLVsNicoleM
I just followed up again today and we will be charging the resort fee for all levels of HHonors as the resort fee covers so much more than the fitness center and internet. Please know that we will be taking good care of our Gold and Diamond members! Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you need personalized attention or have more questions. -Nicole

We are still working out the details on the breakfast. Please know you can expect simply the best service from the Tropicana Las Vegas! Our beds our amazing, the public areas are spotless and we always go above and beyond. And don't forget the perfect Doubletree by Hilton cookie! -Nicole [email protected]

I do apologize for any confusion as we were still sorting out final details. Currently, all guests and levels will be charged the resort fee was this includes much more than the internet and fitness center. We are also working out the details on any breakfast offering. I appreciate all your patience and I am glad you are all as excited to stay here as we are to have you here! We will not disappoint! -Nicole [email protected]

I do apologize for the confusion. As we are the first Las Vegas "Strip" Property with a Hilton presence in almost 14 years and will be the largest Doubletree partner, there may be some slight differences in the HHonors benefits than you are used to. I promise the experience will not disappoint and please feel free to contact me with any questions! -Nicole [email protected]
Not good, Nicole.

While I agree that the LVH comparison is a bit of a stretch, I will closely compare the Trop to the Elara for my periodic Las Vegas trips. The Elara has a better location, and although fewer amenities, the Miracle Mile is very convenient, lots of decent food options. We will go with whomever offers the best total rate - including the resort fee. So if the Trop wants my business, the rates must be very competitive to compensate for the resort fee.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wow there will be a resort fee for Diamonds and Golds. That's a deal breaker for me unless the rates are very low. I am not paying 20$ for services I will not be using.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:17 am

I just followed up again today and we will be charging the resort fee for all levels of HHonors as the resort fee covers so much more than the fitness center and internet. Please know that we will be taking good care of our Gold and Diamond members![...]

We are still working out the details on the breakfast. Please know you can expect simply the best service from the Tropicana Las Vegas! Our beds our amazing, the public areas are spotless and we always go above and beyond. And don't forget the perfect Doubletree by Hilton cookie! [...]

[...] We will not disappoint![...]

As we are the first Las Vegas "Strip" Property with a Hilton presence in almost 14 years and will be the largest Doubletree partner, there may be some slight differences in the HHonors benefits than you are used to. I promise the experience will not disappoint and please feel free to contact me with any questions! -Nicole [email protected]
I´m already disappointed

Sounds like I will be even more disappointed when we will get the information about breakfast (slight differences in th hhonors benefits).

What is the resort fee good for? Internet - free for Golds/Diamonds. Fitness - free for Golds/Diamonds. What else is it (so much more) that makes me happy to pay 20 USD/day? A cookie? A comfortable bed?

For my next Las Vegas stay I will just book the cheaps 4/5 star property and forget about the hhonors points as I can see no benefits for Diamonds yet.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
How exactly do you book this through the Hilton/Doubletree websites? It just says "opening soon / January" for me and unless I go to Expedia or some other external booking site, it won't give me any option.

Added: Earlier post says 1st of Jan? If so, seems strange I can book anywhere but with them.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
(all bolding below is mine, and not the quoted poster)

I just followed up again today and we will be charging the resort fee for all levels of HHonors as the resort fee covers so much more than the fitness center and internet. Please know that we will be taking good care of our Gold and Diamond members! Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you need personalized attention or have more questions. -Nicole
It would appear that the Trop has a ways to go in learning how to NOT make a terrible first impression to Hilton elites.

First you publicly announce that gold/diamonds will not have to pay the resort fee, then a mere 26 days later state that we will have to pay it. Seriously? Your marketing dept can't get its act together enough to make final decisions on something so important before making public statements?

Exactly what is "so much more" that would be worth $20 per day? Exactly how will you be taking "good care" of golds/diamonds that would be worth $20 per day? It's bad enough that you don't specify anything, but given that your credibility is damaged with the resort fee issue why should anyone believe any claims you state in the future regarding benefits?

We are still working out the details on the breakfast. Please know you can expect simply the best service from the Tropicana Las Vegas! Our beds our amazing, the public areas are spotless and we always go above and beyond. And don't forget the perfect Doubletree by Hilton cookie! -Nicole [email protected]
One week till January and you're still working out details on breakfast? And exactly what constitutes an "amazing bed" that would make me want to stay there? "Spotless public areas" and a cookie are what I'd expect at any Doubletree hotel, is that supposed to be a perk now? Sheesh, please provide some actual concrete details, not just meaningless marketing hyperbole. (and things like 2-for-1 drinks in a restaurant are rather meaningless in a city where drinks pretty much flow free)

I do apologize for any confusion as we were still sorting out final details. Currently, all guests and levels will be charged the resort fee was this includes much more than the internet and fitness center. We are also working out the details on any breakfast offering. I appreciate all your patience and I am glad you are all as excited to stay here as we are to have you here! We will not disappoint! -Nicole [email protected]

I do apologize for the confusion. As we are the first Las Vegas "Strip" Property with a Hilton presence in almost 14 years and will be the largest Doubletree partner, there may be some slight differences in the HHonors benefits than you are used to. I promise the experience will not disappoint and please feel free to contact me with any questions! -Nicole [email protected]
Hmm... now it says "any breakfast offering", does that imply that the hotel is not yet confirming that there even WILL be a breakfast offering for elites?

And call me cynical, but when I see the phrase "slight differences from what I'm used to", that implies a degradation from what I'm used to.

So again, what exactly is the "so much more" I get for a $20/day resort fee beyond fitness center and internet that I'm supposed to receive for free?

In comparison, at the LV Hilton I got fitness center, internet, a full buffet breakfast, and fast checkin as a Diamond, now it appears I'm gonna have to pay $20 for the same items.

What exactly is my incentive to want to stay at the Trop? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to stay at a Hilton property on the strip and was very happy to learn about the Trop joining the Hilton family, but until I know just what I'll be getting as a Diamond, I don't see any reason to plan a stay there. And for reference I have stayed in HH properties in LV at least 10 times/year the past couple of years.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
First you publicly announce that gold/diamonds will not have to pay the resort fee, then a mere 26 days later state that we will have to pay it. Seriously? Your marketing dept can't get its act together enough to make final decisions on something so important before making public statements?
I agree with all of what you said except the above quoted statement. I didn't really understand what her first statement meant and I don't think it was a clear statement that the resort fee wouldn't be charged.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just wandered over to the HHonors board for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the Tropicana in Vegas is becoming a DoubleTree. I go to Vegas like 2-3x/year and like to stay on the strip so I never stay in Hilton properties on these trips.

But a bunch of things have me worried here: 1) 3 days away from when the partnership starts and I can't make a reservation online or over the phone? Really? 2) Resort fee or no resort fee? 3) Buffet or no buffet?

The lack of information and apparent flip/flopping of the resort fee thing so close to the beginning of this partnership is kinda troubling.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
I agree with all of what you said except the above quoted statement. I didn't really understand what her first statement meant and I don't think it was a clear statement that the resort fee wouldn't be charged.
This is a quote taken from her Nov 30 post earlier in this thread (typo and all):

"I am happy to say Gold and Diamond HHonoros members will not need to pay the resort fee but can take advantage of all the offers included! Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] as well. -Nicole"

Her Dec 26 post is a complete reversal of the above statement.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:16 pm

Where is Hilton in all of this? What is it saying?

Did Hilton bend its franchise rules for this property? Has it amended its Hhonors T&C?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart

Exactly what is "so much more" that would be worth $20 per day?

***That's going to be a metric poop-ton of 314 calorie cookies.

Seriously, I'm not going to berate our Trop rep here: she did the bold thing opening a conversation here, and probably has mixed messages from "corporate" or whomever nickles and dimes things while treating public mouthpieces like their cred doesn't matter.

Nichole, again, let us know straight up what's-what when you know details are firm. Promises and changing / vague offers don't lead to good things.

Meanwhile, I booked at Elara, maybe I'll check out Trop some other time when things are clear.

TDM
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Not good, Nicole.

While I agree that the LVH comparison is a bit of a stretch, I will closely compare the Trop to the Elara for my periodic Las Vegas trips. The Elara has a better location, and although fewer amenities, the Miracle Mile is very convenient, lots of decent food options. We will go with whomever offers the best total rate - including the resort fee. So if the Trop wants my business, the rates must be very competitive to compensate for the resort fee.
Took a quick look at rates in the April / may timeframe, when we are considering our next Vegas trip. Based on current Trop website rates, Fri and Sat nights are $20-$50 per night more than the Elara, before the resort fee. We are not big breakfast people, have found several acceptable breakfast spots nearby in the Miracle Mile for less than $20 - for 2 adults. We also do not spend THAT much time in our room (other than sleeping), are happy with the Elara 1 br studio, so the Trop folks will have to wow me to consider staying there.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Seriously, I'm not going to berate our Trop rep here: she did the bold thing opening a conversation here, and probably has mixed messages from "corporate" or whomever nickles and dimes things while treating public mouthpieces like their cred doesn't matter.

Nichole, again, let us know straight up what's-what when you know details are firm. Promises and changing / vague offers don't lead to good things.

Meanwhile, I booked at Elara, maybe I'll check out Trop some other time when things are clear.

TDM
I agree that some of the comments are a bit extreme (comparing the Trop to the LVH), language a bit aggressive, but this is the right forum for such a discussion, would like to believe that all have the best of intentions, mean no disrespect.

We can only hope that Nicole shares the feedback with management, helps reconsider their position - IF they want our business. To that end, perhaps an email campaign, where we all contact the GM to voice our concerns - using a common, well written letter. There might also be some benefit in sending a similar letter to the local Doubletree brand manager, as they might have concerns with the Trop's approach. Should there be interest, I am happy to help draft something, upon return from a quick NYE trip on Jan 3.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tttony
Where is Hilton in all of this? What is it saying?

Did Hilton bend its franchise rules for this property? Has it amended its Hhonors T&C?
Well this conversation went on the SPG boards dealing with The Westin , almost word for word. End result many folks simply bit teh bullet and stay @ The Westin.Personally I havent been there in yrs since they started nickel & diming us, but at least they didnt start out that way

Problem here is the owners are droping probably a ton of $$$ and want to make it back ASAP. Just like Airlines I take it they feel the fees will add up very fast. I dont see this place geting its share of the Whales no matter what they do So if they will be relying on low rollers and no great shows etc the fees will be needed.

Now everything depends if they were relying on HH Elites to make up a good chunk of their guests.Could very well be they arent and if thats the case then I dont see them offering us any carrots. However all that may change if they dont fill up the place and then need the Elites

Unfortunatley I dont see them backing down just now but may if their #s dont pan out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.