Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa {PYF}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa {PYF}

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Whoops, let me rephrase, I read the article in post #861 regarding Air France resuming flights in July. This is probably speculation, but the only news I read.
I called them yesterday. My July 4th LAX-PPT is still on schedule. I still see available seating, but they said the flight is sold out. You can make reservations fromJuly 7th onward.

TD
Old May 4, 2020, 6:57 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Whoops, let me rephrase, I read the article in post #861 regarding Air France resuming flights in July. This is probably speculation, but the only news I read.
Ah yes. That is currently their flight schedule indeed. Air New Zealand also cancelled flights in May-June and their next scheduled flight is July 1. However in the last few weeks they have been gradually moving the date farther away in the future so I think July 1st is the best case scenario and subject to change. I cannot find information about immigration restrictions being lifted and I am assuming they will wait for other countries to adopt new immigration rules (including France) before using them as a model.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys, lets hope for the best.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cynapse
I'm curious, how was cancelling your airline flights? Did you happen to book with points at all or was it cash/credit card? Did you just call them or email, or? I need to cancel a Hilton and Conrad BB stay, and my Air Tahiti Nui flight, just not looking forward to the latter. I paid in Chase points for nearly all of my base flight, then paid for Premium Economy upgrade in cash. Just dreading it feeling like it is going to be a huge hassle...
Ya, I am in a similar situation.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Cynapse
Is this the page you see now? And if so, this just shows the 80,000 when you happen upon a base rate?

I actually only see this:

But when you click on July 1 for a 5 night stay, it does show up standard point availability, which is 89k/night.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:29 am

Although flights can be booked to PPT, is there another way to get to BOB other than flying Air Tahiti? Looks like flights to BOB aren't bookable before September 1st.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by OutofToiletPaper
Although flights can be booked to PPT, is there another way to get to BOB other than flying Air Tahiti? Looks like flights to BOB aren't bookable before September 1st.
Swim? Paddle?
Old May 5, 2020, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by OutofToiletPaper
I believe partner airlines could book them.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:31 pm

Here's the latest info I have been able to scrape up.

At this point Conrad BB will plan to open up between July 1 and July 7th but that opening still depends on French Polynesian government approval and operation of both domestic and international flights resuming. The more certain news is that I am told the construction at the resort is nearly completed and the grounds are in excellent condition. There are a number of staff that have remained living at the resort or nearby on Bora Bora, Tahaa and Raiatea islands so staffing should not be an issue as they do not expect even half capacity until the end of the year at the earliest. That said, everyone I have talked to that are affiliated with Conrad Bora Bora seem anxious to get back to welcoming guests.

1. As far as FP government approval for tourism to resume… I have heard a few different things as nothing has been decided as far as how and when to open. The concern is that ~80 percent of all passenger flight capacity into FP arrives via the U.S. yet the virus containment in the U.S. is up in the air as cases continue to increase in many U.S. regions and no one knows where the U.S. infection numbers will head over the next several weeks. To compound problems, all visitors transiting the LAX, SFO or HNL airports from Europe or elsewhere technically have to enter the U.S. by clearing customs and then immediately exit the country to catch their onward flight to Papeete. By early to mid-June the FP government will have to decide if they will open for July and to residents of which countries. In addition, if they decide the U.S. residents are not safe to visit then what do they do about Canadians, Europeans and others that are forced to transit through the U.S. (which means entering the U.S., albeit for a very short time). My best guess based on several people I have talked to is that the FP Government would be willing to accept transiting risk of those passing through America to get to FP but that they may very closely look at the U.S. virus case load and deem U.S. visitors unsafe. That would open up a can worms though as more than half of the passengers making up that ~80% passenger capacity of flights that stop last in the U.S. are in fact U.S. residents. If that does play out, I would expect Air France and French Bee to operate normally but Air Tahiti Nui would probably only operate their flights that from Paris to Papeete with the LAX stopover. That’s of course assuming those transiting passengers from their particular domiciled country are even allowed into the U.S. to connect to their onward flights (as it stands today most foreign nationals that have been in practically any European country in the past 14 days are barred from entering the U.S.). I do not believe if would be feasible for any of the long-haul airlines to regularly operate without the LAX or SFO stopover (even though it was done for a handful of flights on an emergency basis).

The only other ways into Tahiti by air travel are via Tokyo and Auckland (and sometimes Easter and Cook Islands) but unlike in the U.S. transiting Asia Pacific passengers don’t have to enter either New Zealand or Japan at the airports in Auckland and Tokyo, Narita. Although at this point that is a mostly a non-issue as well because New Zealand has shutdown all international flights and Japan has very limited connectivity. I wonder if they would consider opening initially only to visitors on flights from New Zealand and Japan? It also begs the question if Air France, Air Tahiti Nui and French Bee would consider transiting their Paris to Papeete flights through Japan or New Zealand instead of Los Angeles or San Francisco? In fact, CDG to NRT is not much further than CDG to LAX and Narita has a ton of gate space open these days as Haneda is the new go to airport in Tokyo as of late. NRT to PPT though is a bit longer of a haul compared to LAX to PPT but easily doable with 777 and 787 equipment. I also have to think significant and long lead time regulatory hurdles would exist but who knows these days.

2. Air Tahiti is still the weakest link in the transportation chain. They need to start operating again in July so I think the government will take that into consideration and perhaps a phased opening to certain countries might be the ultimate solution. I think at a minimum they will push for some opening of the country by the first week of July. The million “dollar” question will it include the U.S. and will the U.S. have lifted its ban of Europeans entering the U.S. by that time.

Last edited by FleyeSkyHigh; May 5, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Old May 5, 2020, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I called them yesterday. My July 4th LAX-PPT is still on schedule. I still see available seating, but they said the flight is sold out. You can make reservations fromJuly 7th onward.

TD
AF just emailed me....July 4th flight canceled.

TD
Old May 6, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
AF just emailed me....July 4th flight canceled.

TD
Did you happen to inquire if it's just flight cutting or are the days around early July being cancelled?
Old May 6, 2020, 7:19 pm

Did you happen to inquire if it's just flight cutting or are the days around early July being cancelled?

Looks like both. There was only one day in late July you could book last night. And only a few nights in Aug/Sep.

2020 Summer Staycation for us

TD
Old May 6, 2020, 10:38 pm

@Traveler Dave

I also have a booking in November. Have you been during November? Weatherspark says that it's 80% cloudy and I would appreciate any opinions regarding this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:41 am

@Traveler Dave

I also have a booking in November. Have you been during November? Weatherspark says that it's 80% cloudy and I would appreciate any opinions regarding this.
We have not. Been 3 times in July/August only.

But would be interested in late November. Perhaps a Thanksgiving trip?

TD
Old May 7, 2020, 11:53 am

Was there for 6 nights, oct 2019. weather was perfect, we had light rain maybe twice but didnt last longer than an hour each time. water was great, snorkeled in the morning and afternoon. had no need for long sleeves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.