Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Orlando, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Orlando, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 8:50 am

Hilton Orlando would probably be your best bet
Old May 22, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Bottom line: All 4 hotels are good choices so I think any of them will work!

I have stayed at all 4 places (Hilton LBV, DT LBV, WA BC, and Hilton BC).

IMHO ....

Rule out the WA BC as it is very much not family oriented (although you can use the Hilton BC pools, etc; it's a little inconvenient). If you decide to do BC then try the Hilton BC.

The DT LBV is a guaranteed suite so that might be a plus but, providing you get an upgrade to at least a junior suite, the Hilton LBV beats it in many other ways.

If your main focus is WDW (and you are going to spend a lot of time there) then the Hilton Lake Buena Vista would be my recommendation:

Hilton LBV pro's:

As a Diamond, you "should" get an upgrade to at least a Jr Suite which should work out fine for a family of 4. Since 1999, as a gold, my family and I (my wife, my daughter, and 1 grandchild; 3 adults and 1 child) are 6 for 6 with upgrades so we have done that many times and have always been very comfortable.

The free continental breakfast area (in exec lounge; open only for breakfast) has always been quick, good, and sufficient to get our day started.

You will have access to WDW "Extra Magic Hours" (an extra hour in the morning and extended evening park hours). Only guests in the WDW hotels and the Hilton LBV have this.

You will have access to good transportation to WDW (IMHO, better than at Bonnet Creek). It's the same bus at DT LBV but it stops first at the Hilton LBV for both pickup and return. Bus has also always been on-time or very close to on time.

Downtown Disney is right across the street (a 5 minute or so walk) and has lots to do for children and adults. Parking is expensive .... at all the hotel options! But, at the Hilton LBV, it's feasible to park overnight across the street at Downtown Disney.

Hilton LBV con's:

Parking is expensive .... at all the hotel options! But, at the Hilton LBV, it's feasible to park overnight across the street at Downtown Disney.

The pool areas are not as family oriented as the Hilton BC.

Since it's newer, Bonnet Creek rooms are probably still a little "nicer" but, after spending time at WDW with your family, you probably aren't going to spend much time (with your eyes open) in the room!

If you don't get an upgrade the "standard" room is not very big for a family of 4. But, I can't imagine a Diamond not getting an upgrade to at least a junior suite. Be sure to request an upgrade in the notes of your reservation; maybe even contact the Hilton LBV "HHonors manager" (via phone or e-mail) before arrival. If one isn't offered at check-in, be sure to request one nicely; but, if necessary, be firm; if denied, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Bottom line: All 4 hotels are good choices so I think any of them will work!

For my family and I, easy access to Downtown Disney along with access to "Extra Magic Hours" have been the determining factors in us going back to the Hilton LBV time after time.

In addition to the ones you've already been referred, here's a link to Trip Advisor (for Hiltons in the Orlando area) which I find is also a great source of information for reviews and recommendations:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch...s:ACOMFORT_INN
Old May 22, 2013, 9:59 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate it. I had read some of the links that cblaisd had posted, but at least one of them had not had a response in 4+ years. In my experiences, 4 years can make a big difference in a hotel, so I appreciate your feedback.

I think we are going with the Orlando Hilton. I originally had a reservation at the Hilton LBV, but changed it to the Orlando Hilton.

I agree that the Hilton LBV would be a family's best choice who was going to focus mainly on WDW. We will focus mainly on WDW also. But, we are lucky enough to go quite a bit (usually once per year and this year 2-3 times) and have always stayed on site. We have annual passes for this year and consider this a "bonus" trip. We won't feel as much pressure to go dusk till dawn since we have been there before and will be there again (3 months later!). Out of 8 days, we will probably go 6-7 times but may not stay the entire day. So, the hotel and the grounds (particularly pool and family orientated activities) are important to me - likely more than location in this rare case.

And we will be driving this time, so having to drive is not a huge deal (and parking is free with the annual pass), but I do tend to prefer the Disney bus system - there is something about getting on the plane in my home town airport and knowing I won't have to drive anywhere for 7+ days that I enjoy . I have also read that the buses at Hilton BC are not that great (but the ones at Hilton LBV are better).

Also, not sure about upgrade possibilities at Hilton Orlando (I am a Diamond).

It seems like if you disregard location, the Hilton Orlando is the nicest of the group. The grounds/pool/lazy river look like an even better version of the Hilton BC. Do you think this is an accurate statement? Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks again.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:03 pm

I just realized that I did not even mention the Hilton Orlando in my first post, yet that looks to be where we will go!

Again, the condition of the hotel and the grounds looks better than Hilton BC and so, for us, that trumps the superior location of the others.

Let me know if anyone agrees with my evaluation of the Hilton Orlando as the nicest of those listed.

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Have a great trip!

Sounds like a great choice!

Never stayed there but, from the Trip Adviser's reviews, it looks really nice. I agree "hotel-wise" it's definitely a big step up from Hilton-LBV and even the Hilton-BC.

The hotel site says it's approx 14 miles and a 20 minute drive from the hotel to WDW but I suspect it will actually be closer to 30 minutes. In the 80's when my wife and I were taking our daughters to WDW, we stayed off-site and drove to the parks .... we hated it! So, we (like you) came to enjoy a trip with little or no driving .... definitely no driving back/forth to the parks!

What a really great thing it must be to have annual passes and be visiting several times this year! We envy your situation!
Old May 23, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by jgxtrav1
Have a great trip!
What a really great thing it must be to have annual passes and be visiting several times this year! We envy your situation!
Thanks. It is pretty cool to have the annual passes and go a bunch this year. The annual pass is probably a one-time deal. We actually own some points at the Disney Vacation Club and they had a one-time special deal on annual passes (they have an ongoing discount on APs, but they had a special last year where it was even lower). So we bought them for the first time and are planning on going this July, October, and June 2014. We will be staying at DVC resorts the next two trips.

I agree with allowing 30 mins to get there. Having not done it in the past, I am more curious about how long it will take me to get from the parking lots to the park entrance. If I could get from the hotel to the park entrance in 30 minutes, that would be awesome. But I suspect it will be longer. It sometimes takes over 30 to get from a Disney resort to a park.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jjk2
Thanks. It is pretty cool to have the annual passes and go a bunch this year. The annual pass is probably a one-time deal. We actually own some points at the Disney Vacation Club and they had a one-time special deal on annual passes (they have an ongoing discount on APs, but they had a special last year where it was even lower). So we bought them for the first time and are planning on going this July, October, and June 2014. We will be staying at DVC resorts the next two trips.

I agree with allowing 30 mins to get there. Having not done it in the past, I am more curious about how long it will take me to get from the parking lots to the park entrance. If I could get from the hotel to the park entrance in 30 minutes, that would be awesome. But I suspect it will be longer. It sometimes takes over 30 to get from a Disney resort to a park.
Hilton Orlando is a great option. Just beware of the parking and resort fees.

As a Dia, you will most likely end up on the executive floor. I would request a pool view if you do. You will have a good view of Sea World as well.

They have an EL, which is pretty nice, but can become a zoo.

Time from garage to gate will depend on the park, but traveling off peak as hould be no more than 20 mins. The Hilton Orlando is very convrnient to 528/Beachline.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:06 am

Since you are Diamond on a points stay, the resort fee should be waived. If it isn't, be sure to ask about it. During my last Hilton points stays in Orlando the resort fees were waived every time .... once (on a points stay shortly after they started resort fees) the resort fees appeared on my bill and I had to ask about it; it was then removed from my bill. Unfortunately, I think you will be required to pay for parking.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:44 am

Yes, as it is a rewards stay, the resort fee will be waived - I checked that a few days ago. And, also yes, I will have to pay the $14 or $21 per day parking fee.

Unfortunately, we are not going in the off-season, so I am planning on 30+ minutes hotel to gate. In fact, we are going during what might be the most crowded week of the summer - week of July 4th! We have always gone in slower times (Sept., Oct., Feb, early June). We know that this WDW experience will be like none other that we have experienced due to the crowds. We are planning accordingly - using crowd calendars, not going "Commando", etc.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, SPG
Make "eating reservations" at one of the resort hotels and ride the bus to avoid the parking fees at WDW.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Damidgede
Make "eating reservations" at one of the resort hotels and ride the bus to avoid the parking fees at WDW.
Aren't you limited to something like 4 hours when you park at a resort? Do they give you a timed ticket or just not check when you leave?

We have an annual pass so we have free parking at the resorts. However, it has crossed my mind to eat at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge (two of our favorites anyhow) on July 3 or July 4 in order to try to avoid what I am assuming will be horrific crowds/backups in the parking lots following the evening's fireworks at Magic Kingdom. But I thought that they only have you a few hours to park if you have a reservation. Let me know how it works.

Thanks.
Old May 25, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Just came back from a stay there. We are fairly local and go to Disney many times throughout the year and now stay away from the Disney properties to instead use a loyalty program property nearby. There are thousands, but so few have good transportation systems to the parks.

For instance, the Gaylord Palms is now Marriott of course, one of our favorite places to stay, but the shuttles to the parks are weak only offering service a handful of times throughout the day and if you miss it, too bad.

We just stayed at the Double Tree that you are asking about not 3 days ago. Dated, but nice is the best way to describe it. Room (suite) was a great size and had two full rooms. I should emphasize it was dated. Restaurant on site was quite good and not crazy overpriced. Shuttle service is the Downtown Disney shuttle service, so it runs over 30 minutes to every single park plus downtown Disney (starting at 6pm).

The parking fee is still $13 and while its too high, its not terrible.

It might now be our go to property in that area when you consider cost. We got our room for $89 a night on a whim. If we are looking for a quick Disney stay where our time is going to be at the parks, this offers that and good transportation.
Old May 25, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am. A little partial to the ES LBV as parking is free and rates are decent. Nit sure about Disney Transport.
Old May 25, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Since you don't mind driving I'll throw our favorite into the mix - the HGVC at Sea World. Easy to get to WDW, US, SW, and very family friendly with wonderful spacious suites. There are several HGVC choices but Sea World is our favorite.
Old May 25, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Bonnet Creek Properties

You also left out the Bonnet Creek Hilton & Waldorf=Astoria; they both offer new, great accommodations close to the parks...along with free shuttle service. They also have the kids eat free program...and awesome pools for young & old (including a great lazy river.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.