FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   [ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Orlando, Florida, USA {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1811531-archive-2014-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-near-orlando-florida-usa-us-fl.html)

NJDavid Aug 5, 2002 2:52 pm

I've had terriffic stays at the Homewood Suites LBV. The huge cost and health saving options of cooking dinner a few of the nights, combined witht the free breakfast for all in party make it an unbelieveable deal. A car is recommended.

RoadWeary Aug 5, 2002 3:46 pm

I did a GLON award at the ES Lake buena vista last Dec and loved. It's a great place to stay with the family. I have not stayed at the DT, either maingate or the one one in downtown Disney.

You can some of my other posts on this board touting the ES. I really reccomend the ES.

RDY3238 Aug 5, 2002 4:42 pm

Thanks all for the replies.
NJDavid...there seems to be 2 Homewood properties. One got a mauling, which one are you referring to?
[email protected] - the DT you are referring to is the Premium property inside WDW? There are 2 others in the area.
RoadWeary - I read a number of your posts - very informative.
Thanks everyone, its food for thought.

Update - I booked the GLON Oct 22nd 5 nights ES - LBV. Even though we are only there for 5 nights, its sounds like a sweet deal. Thanks for the input.

[This message has been edited by RDY3238 (edited 08-05-2002).]

[email protected] Aug 5, 2002 4:48 pm

the dt in downtown disney !!

anything wrong with the hilton ??

RDY3238 Aug 5, 2002 5:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:

anything wrong with the hilton ??
</font>
No, I just don't think it deserves resort status, and is not worth 150k. We got a room on the 7th floor, which was just OK, and access to the Exec lounge...which was nice. Too small tho' it was packed with folks devouring everthing in sight! The pool area is functional but plain, the location is good, close to DT Disney. Have they had a big renovation? It wasn't evident. Anyway, I just think the ES LBV is more appropriate for my trip this time. I also stayed at the Wyndham Palace resort same trip...no way would I go back, but thats another story.

winstoda Aug 5, 2002 5:34 pm

Hilton WDW is only 100k with the golf award.

RDY3238 Aug 5, 2002 6:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by winstoda:
Hilton WDW is only 100k with the golf award.</font>
Thats the TEEN award right?
I had HH check that and they said it was sold out on my dates....

NJDavid Aug 6, 2002 3:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RDY3238:
Thanks all for the replies.
NJDavid...there seems to be 2 Homewood properties. One got a mauling, which one are you referring to?
</font>
Welcome to Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando/Lake Buena Vista

8200 Palm Parkway, Orlando, FL 32836

Been there on GLON's twice. Free breakfast, clean rooms, full kitchen, 2 minutes from Hotel row gate, highly recommended by me (as long as you have your own car).

Nahjer4 Aug 6, 2002 8:33 am

I stayed at the Doubletree MainGate last May. It was a bad experience, so bad that we left 2 days into our stay and moved over to the Doubletree Club, which is right down the road from the Doubletree at Downtown Disney. The staff wasnt helpful. We didnt get any breakfast coupons and they only offer shuttle service to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom twice in the morning and back twice in the evening, AND they charged you for each trip. A week before we went, I called the hotel to confirm free shuttle service, ect.. and was told yes it was free and it was offered 4 times a way each day. When I got there, they said that wasnt true. When I got to the room the same information they gave me over the phone was written right in the hotel book. They told me that was outdated and they havent gotten around to changing it yet. The ONLY good thing was the villas are huge, but it wasnt worth it. WE moved to the Doubletree Clus and enjoyed it.

SuperCat Aug 6, 2002 2:41 pm

I had a great stay back in June at the WDW Hilton. It was a great spur of the moment trip as we had no plans to go that morning and made reservations and booked a WN flight down that day. I found a rate of $89.95 a night online at the Hilton web site and booked it for Fri-Mon night.
We took a cab to the hotel and checked in around 11:00 at night. My 2 kids were given 2 nice folding seats that they still play with, and we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite on the 10th Floor (executive floor) Room 1000. My wife was blown away with the upgrade. It was cool going around and saying charge to room 1000.

The bus service at the WDW Hilton (which is shared with the Wyndham and another hotel)seems to always to have just left once you go wait, but it runs about once every half hour to the parks. When we do it again, we will either rent a car or take cabs as dealing with the bus was just too frustrating, but it is free. The bus drivers also liked to slam on the brakes for no apparent reason. This was a pain when we had to stand up on the way back from MGM.

The executive lounge is way too crowded and was at other end of the hotel, but we really had a good time and great service from all the staff.

markp Aug 22, 2002 10:23 pm

Hillton WDW / ES LBV?

Hey guys I've read the other posts concerning these properties but wondered which would be better if you don't have your own transportation?

We are spending 3 full days with a two year old and would really like to hear from folks on what to see and do as well. Heard the cirque du solei is there has anyone seen the show?

We have a res for the Hilton but the embassy suite does offer the second room which is nice. Has anyone had child care while there? Recomendations please.

thejudge66 Aug 23, 2002 2:45 pm

If you don't have transportation, the way to go is the Hilton. It is walking distance to Downtown Disney and they have a fairly good transportation system to the parks. There are a ton of restaurants around the hotel, while there is not much around the ES.

Also, I have always gotten a nice Gold upgrade to one of their "junior suites," which are basically oversized rooms.

yyzflyer Aug 23, 2002 10:33 pm

I cannot recommend the Embassy Suites LBV after staying there last weekend. I had read favorable reviews of the property here, but room was a dump with small ants everywhere("lanai suite") and was badly in need of renovation. No other rooms available, no Gold amenity without asking, they checked another guest into my room disabling my keys in the process, and so on.

RDY3238 Aug 23, 2002 10:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
I cannot recommend the Embassy Suites LBV after staying there last weekend. I had read favorable reviews of the property here, but room was a dump with small ants everywhere("lanai suite") and was badly in need of renovation.</font>
Oh S*** I have an award stay there in October. Do you know which rooms to avoid?

[This message has been edited by RDY3238 (edited 08-23-2002).]

yyzflyer Aug 23, 2002 11:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RDY3238:
Oh S*** I have an award stay there in October. Do you know which rooms to avoid?
[This message has been edited by RDY3238 (edited 08-23-2002).]
</font>
Our room was in the northeast building, referred to as lanai suites. Very 60's motel-style door, which did not meet the threshold (probably explaining the ants). It is connected to the main building by (again) motel-style walkways on each floor. We attempted to check in early (1 p.m.) - no rooms available, come back later. Got our room shortly before 4 p.m. This was our first time here, perhaps the rooms in the main building or southeast wing are newer/better. The hospitality hour and breakfast were also very disappointing when compared to other Embassy Suites. (There are two more within a 5 minute drive.) I've never stayed in an Embassy Suites that used plastic picnic plates for breakfast! Contrast with the Embassy at the Orlando airport: friendly check-in, HHonors amenity waiting in room with letter from G.M., excellent breakfast buffet (with real plates).