Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Orlando, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Orlando, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LTP;Marriott Platinum
Hilton Altamonte Springs

Originally Posted by royalmile
The Executive Lounge is now closed as of January 5, 2010 at the Hilton Altamonte Springs.
As of January 24, the Hilton website is still promoting this lounge. I checked in tonight and was quite disappointed to find the lounge permanently closed (yes, it is Sunday but the lounge was advertised as being open EVERY night and apparently was until it closed this month). I complained to the manager on duty. He said they have replaced it with something better, but it is only Monday-Thursday night. Since I am only here 1 night, I didn't get the full details, but it appears to be 2 for 1 tapas and a complimentary drink for Diamonds/Gold in the open to the public bar/lounge. The other (good?) part appears to be that they bring a cart around to all elite rooms Mon-Thur evening with some sort of snacks/refreshments (I believe complimentary).

Update: Room Service just showed up with some (tasty) complimentary snacks. I'm guessing the website update problem is corporate's and not local management which seems to be responsive. Yes, I can be bribed with food.

Last edited by TULOKCICT; Jan 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by pinniped
I stayed at Int'l Drive this past summer - enjoyed it greatly. I was there over July 4th weekend so the place in general was fairly quiet. (They had a deal going where you got 3 nights in a 1-bedroom villa for basically free if you endured the timeshare sales pitch.) There were some days we'd be at the pool and only 3-4 other guests would be around.

But overall, the construction and build quality of the units felt fairly nice - I'd rank it a slight bit higher than the MVCI's which I've stayed in many times in Orlando. This place is rather new - I think '01 or so is when the first units were built, plus they are still building more units. (That said, I give Marriott's Cypress Harbor a slight edge in terms of overall atmosphere.)

I haven't stayed at HGVC Sea World, but I understand it's a bit older. Just from browsing the aftermarket timeshare materials, it seems to sell a little lower than Int'l Drive if that means anything.

It's a good property - you'll enjoy it. Make sure you book at least the 1-bedroom suite. Even if you're going solo, the studio will feel cramped. It's a long narrow lockoff room that adjoins a 1-bedroom suite to make a 2-bedroom suite.
I've got a chance to stay at the International Drive GV property for under $50per night (and I don't have to listen to a presentation) because of a one-time use coupon I have.

Interested in others' recent perspectives on this property including the quality and scope of the workout facilities and the pools (any place you can actually swim without dodging kids everywhere?)

Also, are all of the rooms villas? Here's the room description I see:
1king-ktchnette-scrn balcny...Studio-microwave-sm frige-1tv-1dvd player...1 King bed-table/2 chairs-sitting area - nonrefundable
UPDATE:
I looked on the Hilton website and found this room description, which I think is the same room type:
1KNG-KTCHNETTE-SCRN BALCNYOur King-bed studios are elegantly decorated and offer nice views of our private lake. Each studio offers a 27" TV, DVD player, Hilton Alarm Clock Radio with MP3 connection, wireless high-speed Internet, phones with voice mail, in room safe, wet bar, small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, dishes and utensils. Views include fabulous swimming pools, water features and a bird's eye view of the lush 34-acre resort grounds inspired by the beauty and ambiance of Tuscany. Surrounded by gardens and a lake promenade, this resort is located adjacent to the Premium Outlet Mall and features a 24-hour security operated gate entry.
From the picture, although this is apparently smaller than a 1 bedroom it appears to be plenty large enough and well appointed for 2 persons - is that true? Anyone know the square footage (typical US hotel room is around 300 ft sq.)

Last edited by GrizShel; Jan 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: Independent
Dont know the square footage, but big difference in rooms. The king studio is a hotel room, it has 1 bed, a couple of chairs, a small typical table, and a little kitchenette with a micro, small sink, and undercounter refrig. The 1 bedroom has a seperate bedroom, it is nearly, if not more than, double in size. It has a full kitchen, couch and chairs.

I would not consider the studio large, typical hotel room size. Enough if you are using it as a hotel, not really big enough for meals or anything like that. And also keep in mind the walls are real thin there.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:37 pm

GrizShel, my husband and I just stayed in one of the I-Drive studios in December. The room was okay, nothing special. It was clean and in good repair, but a bit smaller than I was expecting. I did wish we had booked the one bedroom because we were there for a whole week. We had a very nice screened in balcony overlooking the "lake" though. We didn't have noise issue, but we were staying on the top floor and that may have helped. There weren't a lot of people using the pool while we were there as it wasn't warm enough to swim most days. We didn't see tons of kids, although I think the property was pretty fully booked. We only peeked inside the workout room, so I can't be much help there.

We had stayed in one of the renovated units at the Seaworld property in Dec 2007, and actually liked it quite a bit. However, we had a one bedroom there so I probably shouldn't compare them. The grounds of the I-Drive location were nicer, in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either property again, but would pay a little extra for a one bedroom. I'm Hilton Gold, and did not get upgraded. (Didn't expect I would, but I know some have been lucky in that aspect.)

Last edited by mareh; Jan 31, 2010 at 5:38 pm
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
HGVC upgrade policy

I was told at HGVC Las Vegas Hilton that upgrading elites ended last year (along with deli credit) - a unilateral MyWay points (1000 gold/2000 diamond) benefit imposed instead by HGVC.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Parc Soleil, HGV Seaworld, Homewood LBV, Sheraton Vistana Villas, or other?

I'm speaking at a conference in Orlando next month. It's at the Orange County Convention Center on I-Drive. My wife and I are Disney AP holders and have been to Orlando at least 2 dozed times in the past three years, but we usually stay firmly in the LBV district and only a few times have stayed further north/east using Hotwire rates.

The conference hotel options are The Peabody, Rosen Centre, Rosen Plaza, and Wyndham Resort. We've stayed at the Wyndham once and weren't that impressed. We've decided to stay elsewhere in search of more space at a lower price, mainly because our infant (6 months) triplets will be with us, but also because my company will only be picking up 2 of our 3 nights.

Last time we were in Orlando we stayed at the new Hilton Bonnet Creek and were upgraded to their Presidential suite... if I thought there was any chance of snagging that upgrade again, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't want to risk being in a standard room either.

I've narrowed it down to four options... the properties in question:

Parc Soleil by HGV
HGV at Sea World
Homewood Suites LBV
Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas

All are in roughly the same $115 - $130/night range except the Sheraton which would be ~$85/night through Hotwire (99.9% sure on the ID using Better Bidding). The conference blocked options are ~$135/night for the Wyndham (way over priced) and $185-$200 for the other three.

All are close enough proximity to the convention center, but none are really walking distance. That's not a major issue... wife can drop me off or I can grab a cab. All of the walking-distance options are 2-3x the price and most are standard rooms instead of suites/vacation-club. All have studio or 2-room arrangements with kitchenette or full-kitchen (all we really need is a fridge). What I'm not sure of is which can provide cribs, and if any will provide 3x cribs. An ideal arrangement would be coffee table removed from the living area with 3 cribs or pack-and-plays lined up in its place.

Any input on these 4 properties? Any particular reason one would be more infant-friendly than the others? Any of the three vacation club style properties nicer/newer/fresher than the others? Any particular reason to pick the Homewood or a similar extended-stay type property over a vacation club style property?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
Trying to plan our first trip to Disney with the kids for the beginning of December. Quick question:

Which Hilton property has the best pool for kids???
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:07 pm

Which Grand Vacation Club? I just asked the same question about the pool in another thread. Looking for a pool that the kids (4 & 6) will think is the coolest.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Chicago Wine Geek
Trying to plan our first trip to Disney with the kids for the beginning of December. Quick question:

Which Hilton property has the best pool for kids???
Couldn't say which is best, however ...
We just returned from 10 nights at the Hilton adjacent to Downtown Disney, and our daughter loved the pools. There is no theming, of course, but there are two pools, one large and one small. The larger one had plenty of shallow water for kids and lap-swimmers cleared out early in the morning -- conventioneers, I suppose. In the evenings, there tended to be convention events around the smaller pool, but the space around the larger pool remained clear for other guests. That space around the large pool is just wide enough for lounge chairs and a walkway, so it would not be practical to set up events around it.
There's also a cute little 15-inch-deep kiddie pool with a fountain in the middle. Watch out, the fountain's tiles are slick and kids like to stand and sit on it.
We've also stayed at the nearby Doubletree. Pool was ordinary, and the pool bar stayed open in the evenings, which led to things getting a little rowdy. At the Hilton, the pool bar closed at 6 p.m. - at least it does so this time of year.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:25 pm

ZeppoX - Do you mean the Walt Disney Hilton? The one that is in the resort and has the extra magic hours?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
The new Hilton Bonnett Creek / Waldorf Astoria. Hands down
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Hilton pool

Having stayed at all of the Hilton properties around Disneyworld, I would concur the best pool would be at the Hilton Bonnet Creek. Has multiple pools and a lazy raft pool....
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by snapper6768
The new Hilton Bonnett Creek / Waldorf Astoria. Hands down
Agreed. Lazy River, three pools, water slide, and two hot tubs.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by rscpa
Having stayed at all of the Hilton properties around Disneyworld, I would concur the best pool would be at the Hilton Bonnet Creek. Has multiple pools and a lazy raft pool....
Be forewarned that they charge $5.00 to "rent" an inner tube for the lazy river . But the staff is friendly and the mint green towels are still fresh at this new property. Also, the Gold/Diamond comped breakfast buffet is really good.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:46 am

I was leaning toward either the Grand Vacation Parc Soleil (except you can only use points for a studio room. Seems more family vacation friendly) or the Hilton Orlando (looks like a really good pool). But I'll check out the Waldorf too now.

Checked out the Waldorf's website and all the reviews on traveladvisor and it looks great. But it is 60,000 points a night vs. 35,000 a night for the Parc Soleil or 37.500 a night for the Hilton Orlando. Might just go with the Parc for the convenience of a kitchen to make breakfast for the kids and a dinner or two.

Last edited by Chicago Wine Geek; Feb 5, 2010 at 9:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.