FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   [ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Orlando, Florida, USA {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1811531-archive-2014-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-near-orlando-florida-usa-us-fl.html)

Alysia Mar 22, 2002 7:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Westcoaster:
Was it a swift marine fish whose colors brightened and changed when you took it out of the water? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Webster's definition of a dolphin fish suggests this description. No picture there, though.</font>
I don't quite remember. My cousin took me fishing off the coast of Boca Raton. We went out over a reef, stopped the boat, and started fishing. I started reeling in some fish. I also started to get sea sick http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif, so I handed the reel over to him. I remember hearing him say that I caught a dolphin fish, but by that point all I wanted to do was head into shore. Once he started up the boat and got it moving, I was fine.

[This message has been edited by Alysia (edited 03-22-2002).]

stevenl57 Mar 30, 2002 7:22 am

TEEN, GLON or GLONP for Disney area

Did some searching on the topic, and wanted to see if there was some additional feedback on this- I'm looking to make an award booking for a DisneyWorld trip sometime between Feb-Apr '03. I'm wondering if what kind of luck people have had making a TEEN booking for the Hilton-WDW, GLONP for Doubletree @ DownTown Disney or GLON for Embassy in LBV. Where it'll be a group of 5, I'm heavily leaning towards one of the latter two options, way too risky to depend on a Hilton upgrade, as Gold. Thanks for your help.

stevenl57 Apr 1, 2002 8:18 am

Post weekend bump, if anyone can help, thx

Steve

Western Airlines Apr 1, 2002 5:14 pm

Best Hampton near Disneyworld?

Which Hampton does every one feel is the best around DW? Options appear to be Maingate East, West, or South.

Thanks!

------------------
But it's a dry heat.

stevenl57 Apr 1, 2002 6:30 pm

I was reading the Disney newsgroup and there is some favorable opinion about the Hampton in Lake Buena Vista.

morgan1929 Apr 1, 2002 7:02 pm

We stayed at the Maingate East last March. It was very convenient for the theme parks as well as resturants outside for dinner. Also, an easy drive from the airport.

RoadWeary Apr 1, 2002 8:45 pm

We did a GLON award stay at the ES LBV this past Dec. I had originaly booked the stay for April but moved it up to take advantage of the great airfares being offered post 9/11.

I had to adjust my award stay dates by a few days, but otherwise it was pretty easy to get. I can't speak for how easy it might be for the DT or Hilton.

I was very happy at the ES, great hotel, great staff, etc.

Pudding Guy Apr 1, 2002 9:15 pm

We just got back from a TEEN stay at the Hilton WDW. I booked this back in September. I didn't check on the other properties.

We checked in at about 1am, and got their very last room with two beds. I had called them earlier the previous morning to remind them that we'd be checking in late, and the agent said they were holding a room for us on the 10th floor. Well, that didn't hold, and they gave us a room on the 6th floor that was previously reserved from someone else (along with the adjoining room). The room was fine; I'd say about mid-range quality for Hilton properties. The 9th floor rooms looked the same as ours, so I didn't even ask about switching later in the week.

We got access to the Executive Lounge for continental breakfast and afternoon snacks. The lounge was way too small for the number of executive tower guests (on the 9th and 10th floors) plus all the other HHonors members. After our second morning of standing-room-only bagels and coffee, they relocated the lounge downstairs. This was better.

We didn't have a car for much of the trip, but thought the Hilton's location was pretty good. We walked to Downtown Disney several nights. Bus service to the parks was so-so. Every half hour starting an hour before the scheduled park opening. But it typically took us about hour from our room to the park with stops and waiting for the bus. We found it much better to rent a car and drive. Parking was $6/day and driving provided a lot more flexibility.

The Hilton used to offer early arrival to the parks, but WDW apparently stopped the whole program following the turndown in business after 9/11. This eliminated the reason I initially picked Hilton over the other two properties.

I'd pick the Embassy Suites and rent a car for the duration if I were to do this over. Their suites are better for families, and I much prefer their breakfasts to the cereal and rolls offered at the Hilton. Double-tree would be my second choice. But the Hilton worked out fine for us, and I'd certainly come back if this were the only property with availability. You might get lucky with an upgrade, but I'd say your odds are low if it's near Easter or Spring Break.

stevenl57 Apr 2, 2002 5:49 am

Thanks for the info, folks, I appreciate it. The Hilton was really my 3'rd choice. I'd like to do the Doubletree, but don't think it's worth the extra 50,000 points, esp. with the ES nearby with full breakfast to go along with the suite. Grab a rental car and off we go... I'm hopeful of getting the booking, as I don't have a specific time frame locked in. If anyone else has gone through this recently, the more input the merrier http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

tvelinsk Apr 2, 2002 7:30 am

I personally prefer South (Davenport). It is a bit more of a drive, however, the hotel is right at the highway exit, the rooms are cheaper, and I think they are nicer, too. They have also been much better at remembering to put the "amenity" in the room for Gold VIP members.

jabber Apr 2, 2002 8:15 pm

We stayed at Maingate East. It's very convienent to WDW, there are lots of restaurants on the main drag, and you can tool around in Disney's Celebration town/subdivision just to see what all the hype is about since it's right across the main drag.

I can't say I was too impressed with this Hampton property though. They were resurfacing the parking lot, so only half of it was available, plus the entrance (small to begin with) was cut in half. Things were a bit nutty in the morning dealing with that. Other advice. Ask for a room facing the pool. Not only is the view better, but you won't get stuck (like we did) facing the I-4, which runs right beside the hotel. The walls also seem to be built using the same quality TP as in the restroom, so between the traffic outside and your neighbors inside it could be a bit noisy. On the plus side, the people were all nice, and the nicely varied continental breakfast in the morning was good to load up prior to paying those WDW food prices.

-- jab

stevenl57 Apr 20, 2002 3:32 pm

Made a GLON in Orlando...

For what it's worth, I was able to book a GLON for the ES in Lake Buena Vista for the 6 nights starting on Monday 3/17/03. Was originally looking for 3/14, nothing was available to start any time through that weekend. The helpful HH agent also looked at the Doubletree Castle as a possibility, but where it wasn't a suite, I declined. I had to make 2 calls to double check the new date and the second HH agent was also helpful and recommended the ES. With 3 adults and 2 kids, I thought it would be better to do the suite, rather than the Hilton in Downtown Disney. The Doubletree in Downtown Disney would have run an extra 50,000 pts.

Note on the Castle- agent had indicated there were just 2 award spaces left for that property on the date he offered. I think somewhere in the conversations on the ES, there may have been 8 award spaces available.

dcwcce Apr 21, 2002 7:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stevenl57:
I thought it would be better to do the suite, rather than the Hilton in Downtown Disney.
</font>
Just returned from a week at Hilton /Downtown Disney, was aable to book in January for the Week after easter (Traditional Spring Break Week)

------------------
"A Southwest line never gets longer, It only gets wider"
Follow this link to find out how to earn UAL Miles:
http://www.epoll.com/signupform-b.asp?ARP=1727

RoadWeary Apr 22, 2002 9:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stevenl57:
For what it's worth, I was able to book a GLON for the ES in Lake Buena Vista for the 6 nights starting on Monday 3/17/03. Was originally looking for 3/14, nothing was available to start any time through that weekend. The helpful HH agent also looked at the Doubletree Castle as a possibility, but where it wasn't a suite, I declined. I had to make 2 calls to double check the new date and the second HH agent was also helpful and recommended the ES. With 3 adults and 2 kids, I thought it would be better to do the suite, rather than the Hilton in Downtown Disney. The Doubletree in Downtown Disney would have run an extra 50,000 pts.
</font>
I think you will be very happy at the ES, it's a great hotel for a family. We stayed there in Dec, and had a great time. You are still pretty close to downtown Disney, just a quick drive. I don't think I would spend the extra 50,000 points. Plus you get the free breakfast at the ES.

stevenl57 Apr 22, 2002 5:14 pm

Thx Roadweary, just out of curiousity, how did they treat you as a Gold?