Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
This is what a $27++ "salad" looked like, until it was taken off the bill. Embarrassing.

https://ibb.co/jN8Sk5
Oh boy. Well thank god for Hilton Gold I guess...at least we can fill up at breakfast? I certainly wasn't expecting 3 Michelin star cuisine (which is why we are not dining at Ithaa for where else we could eat for the price), but that's pretty bad.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:43 am

Speaking of preferring breakfast, dining at Ithaa and 'pretty bad' all rolled into one, check out the latest review on TA. Here's the juicy bit

Originally Posted by awayfromLA
I understand now that must be on every Chinese tourist's bucket list visiting there because we were the only non-Chinese at the restaurant during our meal. As a result, our $600 meal was far from the exquisite, romantic and classy experience I had expected and paid for. The staff were great, the meal was just OK, but the simple fact that several diners displayed very odd behavior was hard to get over. Let me give examples: at some point we stopped paying attention to the fish swimming around us and noting another table's guest's loud eating sound that actually competed with the music. Even our disapproving stares at the gentleman creating most of those noises did not seem to convey anything out of the ordinary to him. Those noises soon extended to a fight between him and his companion in Chinese and to my disappointment did not end the eating noises. Then there were at least two other ladies who apparently to protect themselves from light reflection from the water surface above wore on their heads what did not belong on a head, with one actually wearing her dinner napkin draped over her head throughout the meal. Two other ladies were prepared for this need for "protection" by wearing hats that literally looked like an old French Legionnaires' hat, except much larger. My wife whose romantic notions about our meal there must have been shattered was a terrific trooper by never complaining about any of this, but her sad gazes at the table told me how what she thought. As for food, this was just OK. Frankly we preferred our breakfast.
I tell you, Rangali is never ever going to get to, let alone above, 95% on TA (they're currently on 93% and have been on this or 92% for the last 4 or 5 years) and improve their rating from 4 1/2 to 5 stars, just because every few months someone comes along and posts something like this and rates the resort 2 or 3 out of 5.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Speaking of preferring breakfast, dining at Ithaa and 'pretty bad' all rolled into one, check out the latest review on TA. Here's the juicy bit

I tell you, Rangali is never ever going to get to, let alone above, 95% on TA (they're currently on 93% and have been on this or 92% for the last 4 or 5 years) and improve their rating from 4 1/2 to 5 stars, just because every few months someone comes along and posts something like this and rates the resort 2 or 3 out of 5.
These reviews are alarming to me given that I've seen a few of them. For my July trip, I'm leaning more towards cocktails (just to experience it) now and spending the money elsewhere, such as on a romantic dinner with better food and ambiance.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by ducksaucei3
These reviews are alarming to me given that I've seen a few of them. For my July trip, I'm leaning more towards cocktails (just to experience it) now and spending the money elsewhere, such as on a romantic dinner with better food and ambiance.
If that review is even half true, then it's worrying. Money doesn't buy class, but it's always nice to hope.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:55 am

I found the guests to be largely unfriendly and standoffish. You could be walking on a path and the person coming at you won't even smile or nod, and you're the only 2 people within 200 meters.

I didn't have a single word with another guest until my third day. It felt very unusual and isolating for someone who tucks in to a bar anywhere in the world and can hold a conversation.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by charlinator
If that review is even half true, then it's worrying. Money doesn't buy class, but it's always nice to hope.
Believe every bit. I live here and experience this kind of uncouth and barbaric behaviour every day. In every restaurant you go to there's one or more that don't eat with their mouth shut. Very sad indeed and what's worse is that it's nigh on impossible to avoid now at Ithaa.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:24 pm

Believe every bit. I live here and experience this kind of uncouth and barbaric behaviour every day. In every restaurant you go to there's one or more that don't eat with their mouth shut. Very sad indeed and what's worse is that it's nigh on impossible to avoid now at Ithaa.
Harumph. I just hope I don't get shoved off a pier to make room for someone with a selfie stick!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:43 pm

Could well happen when there's a frenzy on the bridge when someone spots a manta.....
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ducksaucei3
We're going in late July and decided to just do cocktails as well, for same reason. Since we're spending a couple days in Hong Kong before heading to Maldives we'll be using the money we could have spent at Ithaa there.

I found the guests to be largely unfriendly and standoffish. You could be walking on a path and the person coming at you won't even smile or nod, and you're the only 2 people within 200 meters.

I didn't have a single word with another guest until my third day. It felt very unusual and isolating for someone who tucks in to a bar anywhere in the world and can hold a conversation.
That's interesting to hear. I am definitely that type of person - holding a conversation at any bar in the world. For me traveling internationally is so much about meeting people from different cultures! Hopefully the crowd when we go is better.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I generally try to avoid guests who don't speak English. I find English speakers at the Rangali to be friendly. I've struck up conversations at Sunset, at the Wine Bar (an easy place to converse) and of course the Wine Cellar Dinner. I dive and there's always conversation on the boat and then when we run into other divers. And of course, of course, Vilu for cocktails.

I'm happy that another group has replaced Americans as ugly tourists. We now seem to be welcomed everywhere.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
That is sad when people don't even say hello/good morning/etc when walking past someone else - esp on a deserted island.

It is unlikely I will be dining at Ithaa on my visit as I could not justify the cost unfortunately. Whilst I have dined at many of the top restaurants around the world (Michelin, San Pelligrino awarded etc) for some reason spending $1,000 isn't on my list of places to enjoy myself. Besides, I have dined in an aquarium like restaurant at The Atlantis Bahamas, and walked through the aquarium at The Dubai Mall, surely that is a similar type experience?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
That is sad when people don't even say hello/good morning/etc when walking past someone else - esp on a deserted island.
Speaking of people, there are more than a thousand people there at any one time (probably 1100 - 1200). You'd never guess though. Density is probably comparable to a major city centre if you consider the area, especially before the completion of the third island. Walking around and hardly seeing any other guests is one of the things that makes the Maldives such a great place.

Originally Posted by alanslegal
It is unlikely I will be dining at Ithaa on my visit as I could not justify the cost unfortunately. Whilst I have dined at many of the top restaurants around the world (Michelin, San Pelligrino awarded etc) for some reason spending $1,000 isn't on my list of places to enjoy myself. Besides, I have dined in an aquarium like restaurant at The Atlantis Bahamas, and walked through the aquarium at The Dubai Mall, surely that is a similar type experience?
Similar but better.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:18 am

Unlikely. You're already at/near the lowest of the rates (which are mentioned in the wiki). You can check out my 'Guidelines For Paid Upgrades' post linked in my sig just below this text for one or two tips which might help.
Was quoted for $350 inclusive of taxes for upgrade to SWV after asking for Diamond discount. Took the offer.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:54 am

^ How many nights is the upgrade to SWV for?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:08 am

^ How many nights is the upgrade to SWV for?
Two nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.