Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by sandyph
so a quick (and rather silly) question, If I'm not planning to do any snorkeling, is it still worth it to spend 5 days here? Is there any more stuff to do beside snorkeling (and sleeping and eating) ?
Personally, I think you could fill 5 days in the tropics/Maldives. Probably up to 7-10 with various tours out including fishing, local village and spending time in the pools. But I'd be done after about a week with no snorkelling.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
so a quick (and rather silly) question, If I'm not planning to do any snorkeling, is it still worth it to spend 5 days here? Is there any more stuff to do beside snorkeling (and sleeping and eating) ?
I've was there a couple of times over a 7 month period. We don't snorkel. The first was for 6 nights, the second was for 10. We thoroughly enjoyed both times.

However I'd mention two things, if you are the type that doesn't like sitting around and doing nothing, 10 nights is too long. However 5 nights it probably doesn't matter. Arriving and getting settled and finding the different parts of the resort and eating in different places and possibly doing excursions, will easily pass 5 nights. On the 10 night visit, I was starting to feel a bit restless towards the end, I even started to do a bit of running in the morning just to feel like I was doing something, and i'm not a running kinda-guy.

Secondly, we had great weather both times, even though we went out of season for the 10 night stay. If you were unlucky enough to get 5 days of downpour/bad weather, which apparently can happen, you'd have a very poor experience, not only because the place looks totaly different in the rain (we had a little) but there isn't much of anything at all to do indoors. But I guess the potential for bad weather is the risk that everyone takes when going to an island resort.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by tangey
If you were unlucky enough to get 5 days of downpour/bad weather, which apparently can happen, you'd have a very poor experience, not only because the place looks totaly different in the rain (we had a little) but there isn't much of anything at all to do indoors.
Yeah, not a lot to do. But there are DVDs, pool/9 Ball, table tennis* and some board games. Oh, and 100-channel satellite TV, heh.

* Do they have a TT table above reception in Ari Lounge? I know they had at least one pool table but I can't remember if it was two pool tables or one pool table and one TT table. They might even have darts there as well. Actually, thefiverivers, would you be able to check on that when you are there? That would be great. TIA!

Oh, and regarding your question about what to take. I recommend reef shoes and if you burn easily, take a wetsuit shirt as well. And take your own sunscreen. It's hellishly expensive at the resort.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
My guess is you've never been to the Maldives. It's the Maldives. It's the best tropical island destination in the world with the best food and the best service in the world. Not to mention there are a plethora of spa treatments and activities and excursions to do. 5 days will fly by. After 50 you might want to return to the big city, so to speak.
Ok I'm sorry, YMMV but it is not the best food, service and tropical island in the world.

Last edited by saaveraward; Apr 20, 2017 at 8:20 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Ok I'm sorry, YMMV but it is not the best food, service and tropical island in the world.
Personally I'd find it hard to say this (what maldivesfreak said) myself, but I can see where they are coming from.

I think it's too subjective to have a best, but if I had to put money on somewhere, the Maldives wouldn't be far off. And by that I don't mean the Conrad necessarily, but it's the nicest combination of the three (food/service/island) I've ever been to.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Yeah, not a lot to do. But there are DVDs, pool/9 Ball, table tennis* and some board games. Oh, and 100-channel satellite TV, heh.

* Do they have a TT table above reception in Ari Lounge? I know they had at least one pool table but I can't remember if it was two pool tables or one pool table and one TT table. They might even have darts there as well. Actually, thefiverivers, would you be able to check on that when you are there? That would be great. TIA!

Oh, and regarding your question about what to take. I recommend reef shoes and if you burn easily, take a wetsuit shirt as well. And take your own sunscreen. It's hellishly expensive at the resort.

Thanks for the info (I assume you didnt quote me properly haha but I saw my name in the post). Yeah I will check it out when I am there and report back. I plan on taking a lot of pictures and getting details for future travelers (including myself) as well! I will pay it forward because you and other members of this thread have been very helpful in my prep for the Maldives! ^

Random question: Can we smoke on the decks of the DWV? I have some cuban cigars that I would like to enjoy while I am there.

Here's my list of things to take (so far):

1. Sunscreen
2. Gopro
3. Reef Shoes (maybe a pair of flip flops too)
4. Wetsuit shirt
5. Sunglasses
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Erm, I said the Maldives. I wasn't saying Rangali had the best of everything.

Originally Posted by thefiverivers
Thanks for the info (I assume you didnt quote me properly haha but I saw my name in the post). Yeah I will check it out when I am there and report back. I plan on taking a lot of pictures and getting details for future travelers (including myself) as well! I will pay it forward because you and other members of this thread have been very helpful in my prep for the Maldives! ^
Actually I didn't quote, was just wondering whether you could have a look and confirm for us. Thanks again, thefiverivers.

Originally Posted by thefiverivers
Random question: Can we smoke on the decks of the DWV? I have some cuban cigars that I would like to enjoy while I am there.
Sure. Smoking is not allowed in the villas and it's probably best not to let any smoke drift into the villa.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Actually I didn't quote, was just wondering whether you could have a look and confirm for us. Thanks again, thefiverivers.

Sure. Smoking is not allowed in the villas and it's probably best not to let any smoke drift into the villa.
Yeah definitely I will check when I get there. And thanks for the info about smoking, I knew there were designated smoking areas but would rather enjoy my cubans on the deck and will definitely keep the doors closed.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Arriving at the resort in just under 3 weeks.

When should I email Moli to make a room request?
Also which RWV should I ask for? We value privacy. Sunset would be great. I've read 405 is best.

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
thanks MaldivesFreak, Cynicor and tangey for the info.
so 5 days should be fine based on what you guys write
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by jeffers
Arriving at the resort in just under 3 weeks.

When should I email Moli to make a room request?
Also which RWV should I ask for? We value privacy. Sunset would be great. I've read 405 is best.

Thanks
Try not to leave it to the last few days as they are often really busy. A week or even two is plenty. 421 is the best as it's the most private and has sunset views. Otherwise any one on the sunset side towards the end of the pier will do.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:21 am

thanks MaldivesFreak, Cynicor and tangey for the info.
so 5 days should be fine based on what you guys write
Let us know how you find the length of time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Length of stay...

Let us know how you find the length of time.
Having done both a 10 and a 12 night stay, I don't think I could bring myself to go back for any thing less than 10 nights unless it was as part of a two centre/resort vacation.

Hope you enjoy your stay and the weather and jet lag are kind...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Try not to leave it to the last few days as they are often really busy. A week or even two is plenty. 421 is the best as it's the most private and has sunset views. Otherwise any one on the sunset side towards the end of the pier will do.
Thanks.

Our flight arrives at 6:55am into MLE. What time do you think we'll get to the resort?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jeffers
Thanks.

Our flight arrives at 6:55am into MLE. What time do you think we'll get to the resort?
About 10:30am resort time (9:30am MLE time)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.