Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by thefiverivers
Hah thats awesome! When are you going to be there?
18-24! Need to start planning soon
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ducksaucei3
18-24! Need to start planning soon
Nice. Well be back before then so if you need any info/advice/pics, etc let me know and Ill do my best!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Originally Posted by drekin
@MaldivesFreak thanks for your info on this thread. I am here now on an AXON award (rip), two more nights remaining.

Just a quick report. I'm Gold status with Hilton. When we arrived be received an upgrade from a BV to a DBV. I inquired about a paid and complimentary upgrades before and asked for BV 213-216, not sure if this helped or not. We stayed at Hilton Bora Bora Nui before in a OWB so we didn't feel we needed the water villa experience this time. The DBV is absolutely amazing, huge and close to everything. The private pool I use every time I get back from snorkeling, nothing like a dip in freshwater after an hour in the ocean. One minus is that one can hear kids playing next door but that did not really bother us.

The coral here is nearly all covered with algae, far worse than Bora Bora 4 years ago. However, there are more varieties of fish here and the resort has a larger reef. In two days I saw eels, triggerfish, and several sharks within 50m of the villa, and of course 1000+ fish. The gear the resort provides for snorkeling is very good. Tip for anyone who plans to snorkel here a lot, wear a pair (or two) of socks with your fins, helps to keep blisters off.

We did the island hopping excursion so far and plan to do adventure snorkeling tomorrow. The island hopping was ok but not quite worth the $170++p/p. Will report on latter next time.

Gold and Diamond benefits are amazing here. One could potentially eat and drink here everyday solely from the free breakfast, afternoon tea (sandwiches), and happy hour. We are celebrating a honeymoon (they do check the marriage license) and a birthday, received a champagne and free Mandhoo dinner for the former and a medium sized cake for the latter.
So you received a complimentary upgrade or you paid for the upgrade?

Thanks for the tip about wearing socks for snorkeling! And we def plan to take advantage of breakfast and afternoon tea and will spend money on dinners. We are coming for our honeymoon as well and looking forward to some of those perks.

Thanks for the post.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Great advice on the socks - - after a hard lesson learned, it's been a staple of my packing every since. Good ole cheap dress socks do the trick. Cheap long sleeve t-shirt too to protect the skin, too.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:32 pm

Someone couldn't have mentioned the sock trick a month ago before I tore my foot up in flippers from the dive center??? 😀
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Snorkel clothes

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Someone couldn't have mentioned the sock trick a month ago before I tore my foot up in flippers from the dive center??? 😀
Oops sorry. I tried this trick on my second day of using the hired fins, terry towelling cotton sport sports are extra comfortable, be sure to rinse and wash and dry outdoors tho!

As mentioned in my review, a long sleeve surf rash top offering UV50 protection is well worth it for serious snorkeling. I even wear a 1mm full wetsuit, can't be bothered with suncream and it acts as my buoyancy device without the need for a bulky lifevest
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:15 am

I just got an alert that a Beach Villa can be reserved for US$370 tax included on the dates I'll be there. Kind of drops the value of the massive amount of points used, but I wonder if there's a catch, like you book (it's through Orbitz) and find out your gold status isn't recognized.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I just got an alert that a Beach Villa can be reserved for US$370 tax included on the dates I'll be there. Kind of drops the value of the massive amount of points used, but I wonder if there's a catch, like you book (it's through Orbitz) and find out your gold status isn't recognized.
If you book through Orbitz, you won't earn any points. This would be a big loss, especially if the system wide promotion during your stay is spending based rather than a flat amount per night.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
With these prices, I could dine at Eleven Madison Park (assuming I can get a table) .... however is it really worth it? Do they have regular buffet restaurants there?
It's the Maldives.....everything's worth it!

And yes, of course. There is Atoll Market buffet restaurant which is open every day.

Seems like Dubai/Maldives are hot for honeymooners. I'm also going to be in Dubai for a couple of days before going to Rangali. Just over two weeks to go before my trip begins. I'm hoping for a bit of sunshine, but we're good lounging around all day if the weather turns.

Still trying to decide where to eat. I've read MF's extensive review on the restaurants there, which helped a lot. Trying to decide on an outdoor beach dinner or not - my biggest concern is the weather, and booking something on a day where it's too windy or rainy. I guess I'll just play my hand and hope for the best on the flop.
Go for it. You may want to book the Champagne & Lobster dinner on the Saturday night as it's not quite as windy as the Beach BBQ on a Wednesday. Wish you good luck with the weather!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Michael19887
If you book through Orbitz, you won't earn any points. This would be a big loss, especially if the system wide promotion during your stay is spending based rather than a flat amount per night.
True.....but at $300++/night who cares?! Nothing to stop you earning points on incidentals. Tally ho, old chap!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:18 pm

Well I upgraded to the DWV, there were only 2 vacant rooms left during my stay and I did not want to miss out. Very excited about staying in one of these villas! Also confirmed our seaplane transfers. I think I am going to charge everything to the hilton surpass card to get bonus points.

Now I have to plan our dinners and excursions!! So much to review. Looking forward to the trip, cannot wait.

Last edited by thefiverivers; Apr 18, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:23 pm

Surpass has foreign transaction fees. Citi Hilton does not.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:35 pm

Yeah 2.7% which is fine with me. Ill still get bonus accumulations by using it at the property and for the seaplane transfers (which I know dont code as a hilton charge). And I was able to waive some of the fees when I went to europe in 2015 by calling Amex so will try that again.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by thefiverivers
Yeah 2.7% which is fine with me. Ill still get bonus accumulations by using it at the property and for the seaplane transfers (which I know dont code as a hilton charge). And I was able to waive some of the fees when I went to europe in 2015 by calling Amex so will try that again.
I've confirmed with long time residents of this thread that CR charges your card in USD, so use the Amex, not the Hilton, and get those extra two points. Someone even confirmed the seaplane transfers earned them 12 points per dollar, since Amex can't distinguish non-resort spend. It all appears to come from the Conrad and counts toward bonus spend.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:43 pm

I've confirmed with long time residents of this thread that CR charges your card in USD, so use the Amex, not the Hilton, and get those extra two points. Someone even confirmed the seaplane transfers earned them 12 points per dollar, since Amex can't distinguish non-resort spend. It all appears to come from the Conrad and counts toward bonus spend.
Yup I read the same from posts in this thread. This is what I plan to do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.