Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:51 pm

I waded in to this debate a couple months ago. I left $5 USD at each of breakfast, tea and happy hour (bartender as I was seated at the bar so there was no server). I seem to be the exception as I hardly saw anyone else leave anything.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:54 pm

No tipping required, it's not the USA and there is a significant service charge levied which actually goes to the staff I believe.

On the other hand, if you get exceptional service you will not offend anyone if you do happen to tip.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
No tipping required, it's not the USA and there is a significant service charge levied which actually goes to the staff I believe.

On the other hand, if you get exceptional service you will not offend anyone if you do happen to tip.
there isn't a service charge when your bill is 0
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:54 pm

It's pooled and shared, as the bill from the gardeners etc is also 0.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:14 pm

I think you wouldn't see many people tipping... most things are charged to the room and there is a tip line on every bill.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:18 pm

LOL! Basically you've spent enough money with Hilton to get Gold or Diamond (well, that's the theory anyway) so you've earned your 'completely free'* afternoon tea and drinks. And, like Cynicor says, the staff get tips evenly dispersed via the 10% service charge which is slapped onto everything. And this is in addition to their monthly salary which, as far as the Maldives goes, is pretty high already, so no-one loses out.

* Remember that companies build their 'distributed free stuff' into the price of their goods and services so really, you've already paid for it even though they are advertising it as 'free'. Ever heard the expression "there's no such thing as a free lunch".....
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:19 pm

Thanks all regarding tipping. I certainly won't be for items that cost something due to service charge but may leave a few dollars here and there for exemplary service at $0 breakfast, tea, or happy hour (especially if the drinks are flowing fast!)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:32 pm
Company Representative, Milaidhoo Maldives

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I thought the x-ray machines at exit were to check for this sort of stuff?
Those x-ray machines have been gone for about a year or so.

Nowadays your checked-in luggage is x-rayed before it's put on the luggage belt for you to collect and anything that customs want to look at will come with a tag on it that you need to go to customs.

We were discussing hand luggage. Because until recently this wasn't x-rayed anymore (although now it is - between immigration and the luggage carousel) one of the other posters was asking whether it was possible to bring in alcohol in hand luggage.

Kat
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Regarding the date thing, I didn't find it too hard to figure out. Then again I lived in Asia for 2 years and that's how they do dates there too.

Related to the alcohol issue, what are the restrictions for bringing food in? Not that I'm aiming to take up my luggage weight allowance with pounds of watermelon, but is it ok to bring packaged snacks like Snickers bars, crackers, etc? Would it be a issue if I had a few?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Related to the alcohol issue, what are the restrictions for bringing food in? Not that I'm aiming to take up my luggage weight allowance with pounds of watermelon, but is it ok to bring packaged snacks like Snickers bars, crackers, etc? Would it be a issue if I had a few?
No issue at all.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
....never mind
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:52 am

Booking times for Sunset Grill

Originally Posted by lizs
Just for reference I heard back on Sunset Grill and was told "Sunset grill is available at 6.30pm, 7.30pm and from 8pm onwards." So I booked at 6:30. Sounds like that may be a bit earlier than it has been previously.
Originally Posted by ducksaucei3
Not sure why you were told this, I just booked 7PM with my guest services agent 5 minutes ago.
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Could you and lizs please clarify the situation, especially pertaining to bookings being able to be made for 6:30. TIA.
Any updates on this?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I booked Sunset Grill at 6:30 when I was there 2-3 weeks ago.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Preparing to fly out to Male this morning

Had awesome crab at Ministry of Crab here in Colombo, Sri Lanka last night so don't know how CMRI will better that
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Awaiting my flight now in CMB and noticed something interesting to my reservations or maybe I am reading too much into this;

I am there for 7 nights; originally confirmed the first 3 nights upgrade to SWV then 4 back to the original BV. Now my bookings show that the first 3 nights is in a DBV and last 4 nights in the SWV.

Not sure how to deal with it if the new bookings "stick" ... I mean I didnt actually agree to an extra paid night in a SWV nor did I agree for it to be switched around ... we shall find out very soon. Hopefully all my upgrades are comped *fingers crossed* hehe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.