Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
No, they can't see your deck unless they swim out a little from their villa. The SWVs are much better than the WVs regarding spacing. If you want a definite sunset view then pay the extra $132 for a DWV. If you place snorkelling first then go for a RWV.
They quoted me $360 for the SWV. So that's half the price of the DWV. It seems like the general consensus is it's not worth upgrading to the DWV, especially if it's 2x the cost of the SWV.

I'm tempted to add a 6th night and maybe do 2 days BV, 2 days SWV, 2 days RWV. Hopefully I don't get bored staying there for 6 nights.

Are there any reviews of the picnic on a deserted island?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by captainamerica
Probably 2-3 days upgrade. I want to experience a few nights in the beach villa so wont upgrade every day.

I'm keen on the DWV because it seems more spaced out and private than the other WV's. From the pictures of the standard WV's it looks like your neighbor can see your deck from their stairs to the water. But maybe I'm wrong. In terms of privacy and space from your neighbors how are the SWVs?

The RWV is a $588 upgrade rate. So maybe that's a better deal? Although I don't plan to do a spa in room.
The SWV's are nice in terms of space and privacy. The frosted glass in the toilet rooms are not my favorite though...

The RWV offers a lot of privacy. Lots of space from villa to villa.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:10 pm

They quoted me $360 for the SWV. So that's half the price of the DWV. It seems like the general consensus is it's not worth upgrading to the DWV, especially if it's 2x the cost of the SWV.

I'm tempted to add a 6th night and maybe do 2 days BV, 2 days SWV, 2 days RWV. Hopefully I don't get bored staying there for 6 nights.

I wouldn't move twice on a six day trip. Spend your time relaxing, eating, drinking, swimming, and any other -ing beside packing. The time goes by too quickly. My wife and I spent six days in Sydney and started to get a little bored. We wish we had more than five nights in Rangali. Maybe 10.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I wouldn't move twice on a six day trip.
Take this advice and don't move twice during such a short stay. You certainly won't be bored but you will feel it will have made your time there less than perfect, that is unless you are happy for the staff to pack and unpack for you. They do have this service.

We did it. I think I made a post about it sometime back. I'll try and find it.
Here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26316063-post293.html
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:55 pm

I unsuccessfully tried a search on this...what do spa prices look like? Is there's a PDF anywhere that we can add to wiki?

ETA: I'm an idiot, found it on the Conrad website! MaldivesFreak...do you think it's worth adding to wiki?

Overwater Spa Price List

Spa Retreat Price List
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by lizs
I unsuccessfully tried a search on this...what do spa prices look like? Is there's a PDF anywhere that we can add to wiki?

ETA: I'm an idiot, found it on the Conrad website! MaldivesFreak...do you think it's worth adding to wiki?

Overwater Spa Price List

Spa Retreat Price List
If anyone has had the "colon therapy" .... please do share. They handed that card out in the MLE lounge and I got a nice chuckle form it.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Hello!

We're two weeks out from our stay on Rangali and very excited! We'll be there five nights as part of our honeymoon (the first two nights in standard BV courtesy of Reserve card reward certificates, the last three in a paid WV). We're hoping we can get the first two nights bumped to WV. Based on your experiences, how likely is that? Should I be asking for that now or upon arrival? Also, I assume any room here is romantic, but are there any particular rooms in BV/WV that are better for this than others?

Also, if no upgrade can be had, I was thinking about a way to maximise the time switching rooms. Any thoughts on if it's a good or bad idea to schedule some activity during that time (maybe Ithaa for lunch or something like that)?

Thanks for any input!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:50 pm

Has anyone done any of the boat charters? Are some of them able to be sailed/driven by yourself or do all the boats require a staff member to drive them?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by broncoal06
Hello!

We're two weeks out from our stay on Rangali and very excited! We'll be there five nights as part of our honeymoon (the first two nights in standard BV courtesy of Reserve card reward certificates, the last three in a paid WV). We're hoping we can get the first two nights bumped to WV. Based on your experiences, how likely is that? Should I be asking for that now or upon arrival?
First of all, if you've never been to the Maldives or never stayed in a BV on a tropical island with outdoor showers, I suggest considering leaving it as is, because both are great and a completely different experience. The order you have it now is good BTW, as most people prefer to stay in a BV then move on to an OWV.

Second, are you HH Gold or Diamond? You'll have a much better chance of an upgrade if you are. Since the resort is exempt from the free upgrade policy for Golds or Diamonds and has very high occupancy rates, you can't expect a non-cash upgrade to be very common at check-in. Chances are slim but you are paying for 3 nights upgrade so your chances are a little better. I would email them now and ask if there's any chance you could be put into a WV if there is one unoccupied on your first two nights.
Edit: Don't expect an answer. You'll find out if you have been upgraded when you check in.

Also, I assume any room here is romantic, but are there any particular rooms in BV/WV that are better for this than others?
TBH, I wouldn't say BVs are terribly romantic but then again everybody has a different idea of what is romantic and what isn't. With a WV on the other hand, you won't be disappointed. Sunset-facing is best. You can request that now by emailing the reservations department. Villas 315 through 330 are the ones you want. Check out my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26553041-post2004.html for the best one.

Also, if no upgrade can be had, I was thinking about a way to maximise the time switching rooms. Any thoughts on if it's a good or bad idea to schedule some activity during that time (maybe Ithaa for lunch or something like that)?

Thanks for any input!
Sometimes you'll switch quickly and sometimes not so yes, you should prepare to check out at 1200 and wait around for a couple of hours before moving into the new room. Ithaa for lunch is a good idea. Remember to include your booking in your email to the resort that you should send ASAP. Ithaa gets full quickly and remember to ask for the first lunch session, and that you don't want to be put in the second session because you are moving rooms that day. You could do the Deserted Island Picnic if your move falls on either a Monday or a Tuesday.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jun 23, 2017 at 12:30 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by lizs

Overwater Spa Price List

Spa Retreat Price List
Thanks for that. Will add them to the wiki shortly.

Has anyone done any of the boat charters? Are some of them able to be sailed/driven by yourself or do all the boats require a staff member to drive them?
They will, for safety and legal reasons, stipulate to be in charge of the boats at all times. Perhaps if you put down a $10K cash bond they might draw up a contract just for you but I seriously doubt it.
Then again, if you are the Captain America, I think they'll trust you will take good care of the boat.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:58 pm

Added the spa price links to the wiki and also added Villa Selection: Water Villas (standard/basic water villa category) linking to the post linked above.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AS MVP, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
First of all, if you've never been to the Maldives or never stayed in a BV on a tropical island with outdoor showers, I suggest considering leaving it as is, because both are great and a completely different experience. The order you have it now is good BTW, as most people prefer to stay in a BV then move on to an OWV.

Second, are you HH Gold or Diamond? You'll have a much better chance of an upgrade if you are. Since the resort is exempt from the free upgrade policy for Golds or Diamonds and has very high occupancy rates, you can't expect a non-cash upgrade to be very common at check-in. Chances are slim but you are paying for 3 nights upgrade so your chances are a little better. I would email them now and ask if there's any chance you could be put into a WV if there is one unoccupied on your first two nights.
Edit: Don't expect an answer. You'll find out if you have been upgraded when you check in.

TBH, I wouldn't say BVs are terribly romantic but then again everybody has a different idea of what is romantic and what isn't. With a WV on the other hand, you won't be disappointed. Sunset-facing is best. You can request that now by emailing the reservations department. Villas 315 through 330 are the ones you want. Check out my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26553041-post2004.html for the best one.

Sometimes you'll switch quickly and sometimes not so yes, you should prepare to check out at 1200 and wait around for a couple of hours before moving into the new room. Ithaa for lunch is a good idea. Remember to include your booking in your email to the resort that you should send ASAP. Ithaa gets full quickly and remember to ask for the first lunch session, and that you don't want to be put in the second session because you are moving rooms that day. You could do the Deserted Island Picnic if your move falls on either a Monday or a Tuesday.

Thanks for the info, MaldivesFreak! It is our first time to the Maldives, and we have not had an experience like you have described with the beach villa.

My wife is HH Gold; I am not. This does present a follow-up question, though. The BV reservation is under her name, and the WV reservation is under my name (months ago, when we booked, the online reservation system and HH phone agent would not let the WV reservation be made under her name at the rate we wanted, but no such problem when it was booked under my name). Will that present an issue if we try to get free breakfast during the WV days when the reservation is under my name, or will her Gold status supersede that (she's listed as the additional guest, obviously)?

I have made the relevant room requests and Ithaa reservation request accordingly. Thanks again!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:07 am

My wife is HH Gold; I am not. This does present a follow-up question, though. The BV reservation is under her name, and the WV reservation is under my name (months ago, when we booked, the online reservation system and HH phone agent would not let the WV reservation be made under her name at the rate we wanted, but no such problem when it was booked under my name). Will that present an issue if we try to get free breakfast during the WV days when the reservation is under my name, or will her Gold status supersede that (she's listed as the additional guest, obviously)?
Not at all because you're paying cash for the WV. Breakfast is included in all cash rates.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Best Western Diamond, OW Emerald
OMAAT "Is the Maldives safe?"

Not at all because you're paying cash for the WV. Breakfast is included in all cash rates.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...maldives-safe/

OMAAT posted this article the other day and was wondering what some of you long time Maldives regulars thought? I'll be making my first trip to the Maldives next year and will be staying at the Conrad Rangali Island. I'm not saying this article will dissuade me from going, but I'd also be curious to hear from someone who's been recently. What where your impressions of security and overall safety?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:28 am

Hi Ed and welcome to FlyerTalk.

Outside the airport you don't notice any security and that's because there's not a lot there, i.e; no soldiers with automatic weapons walking around like in France or Tunisia or other places. At least there wasn't as recent as February. Having said that, I'd be much more worried about visiting some famous landmark in Paris or London than I would about travelling to Male or any of the resorts in the Maldives.

And those robberies are nothing to worry about either as they aren't accosting individuals. They're only after safes and they come in in the early hours of the morning.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jun 26, 2017 at 7:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.