Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Jun 15, 17, 11:56 am

Good upgrade rates (I think?)

Got some DPs to be added into the wiki.

I'm going to be staying here for my Honeymoon 3rd week of October. 1 night in Male, 4 nights on the island. Made two separate reservations: 2 nights in BV with the Hilton Card sign-up bonus, 2 nights in SWV paid.

Made some requests for some upgrades back in March and was offered the following upgrade prices. Resort offered to discount the below rates by 20% as well (discounted rate shown in parenthesis):

BV to SWV - USD200+ taxes per night (USD160+ taxes per night)
BV to DWV - USD450+ taxes per night (USD360+ taxes per night)
BV to PWV - USD1,250+ taxes per night (USD1000+ taxes per night)
SWV to DWV - USD250+ taxes per night (USD200+ taxes per night)
SWV to PWV - USD1,050+ taxes per night (USD840+ taxes per night)

Followed up with the resort this week and requested if they had better rates for upgrades and was returned the following (which is effectively 25% off the "original" rates):

BV to SWV - USD150+ taxes per night
BV to DWV - USD338+ taxes per night
BV to PWV - USD938+ taxes per night
SWV to DWV - USD187.50+ taxes per night
SWV to PWV - USD787.50+ taxes per night

They seem like very good prices based upon this wiki so I will be taking the BV to SWV upgrades for the two nights I booked on the sign-up bonus and will request the resort to keep me in the same room for the entire 4 nights (even though they are on 2 separate reservations)

Hope this helps! I'm very much looking forward to my stay here.
Old Jun 15, 17, 5:02 pm

If anyone else will be there in late July PM me, would be great to meet up! My husband would be thrilled for me to nerd out with FTers, ha!

Here's what we've decided on so far:

- First 3 nights in a BV then 2 nights in a SWV
- Cocktails only at Ithaa
- HH Gold so will be taking advantage of breakfasts/teas/happy hours
- I'm going to dive once or twice but it's been years so may need to take a refresher course before I go
- A massage?

Only 5 nights, I know, but we arrive from Colombo at 8:15am and depart at 8:30pm so we're at least maximizing the days. Other than the very limited items above I think we'll just be relaxing the whole time but may book another activity when we get there. And of course some casual snorkeling and such here and there.
Old Jun 15, 17, 7:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm looking to go for 8-10 nights next year, from what I can tell the least rain is in February but I'M unsure if I can get time off then, what does everyone think about April to June and the chances for rain seem to be much higher?
Old Jun 15, 17, 10:16 pm

The last time I dived there they did a free brief refresher including the underwater skills, from a shore dive near the bridge.
might not need any more than that.
Old Jun 15, 17, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by lizs View Post
- First 3 nights in a BV then 2 nights in a SWV
- Cocktails only at Ithaa
- HH Gold so will be taking advantage of breakfasts/teas/happy hours
- I'm going to dive once or twice but it's been years so may need to take a refresher course before I go
- A massage?
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but Ithaa was a huge disappointment for me. I went for cocktails... it was pretty expensive to only be served a single cocktail (a mocktail in my case) and some hors d'oeuvres. You're basically getting a crappier experience than what you get for free as a Gold or Diamond member at cocktail hour at Vilu... except it's in an underwater restaurant. At that price point, it would have been better off just getting lunch or dinner. Plus as cool as it is, I got bored after 20 minutes. Meh... would have rather spent the money doing the jet boot thing again. That was fun.
Old Jun 15, 17, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62 View Post
I'm looking to go for 8-10 nights next year, from what I can tell the least rain is in February but I'M unsure if I can get time off then, what does everyone think about April to June and the chances for rain seem to be much higher?
I found May to be typical tropical weather. Mostly sunny, some days rain would come for an hour and pass. I don't think rain is the biggest problem. Our last night there it was so windy, I had trouble sleeping.
Old Jun 16, 17, 8:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
See your point. My first trip, went for cocktails. Not a wow moment, but I was glad to see it and check it off the list. Definitely would not waste the money on anything more considering the other great options on the island.
Old Jun 16, 17, 8:21 am

How much are cocktails at Ithaa again? I tried searching and couldn't seem to find pricing. Honestly, I'm not expecting to be wowed, I just feel like I "have to" do it if I'm already on property.

Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but Ithaa was a huge disappointment for me. I went for cocktails... it was pretty expensive to only be served a single cocktail (a mocktail in my case) and some hors d'oeuvres. You're basically getting a crappier experience than what you get for free as a Gold or Diamond member at cocktail hour at Vilu... except it's in an underwater restaurant. At that price point, it would have been better off just getting lunch or dinner. Plus as cool as it is, I got bored after 20 minutes. Meh... would have rather spent the money doing the jet boot thing again. That was fun.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:08 am

How much are cocktails at Ithaa again? I tried searching and couldn't seem to find pricing. Honestly, I'm not expecting to be wowed, I just feel like I "have to" do it if I'm already on property.
I would look up exactly what it cost me, but my wife makes me throw out random stuff I'd otherwise keep forever - in this case the final bill. I think it was $190 for the two of us. It was ok... I just wasn't floored by the experience and the pictures didn't even come out great as the water was murky that day in general and there was a lot of sediment on the glass.
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:01 pm

It used to be $55++ but it went up, I think by $10.

And thanks, reyam1105. I'll add the info to the wiki.
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:04 pm

$75 per person, plus 10% service charge, plus 12% tourism tax.
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
Bring sunglasses. It's BRIGHT down there that time of day.
Old Jun 17, 17, 8:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
A Great 5-Night Stay!

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Rangali Island Rangali Island, MV

A Great 5-Night Stay! (6 Photos)

This is part of my larger review and an entire 3 week trip which can be found at http://joeprotravel.com/days-seventeen-through-twenty-one-part-1-conrad-maldives-rangali-island-review/

More pictures, videos, and even a couple of 360 degree images can be found there.

Ultimately our stay at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island was about as much as one could hope for.  This family-friendly resort offered a ton to do, a terrific variety of high-quality food, and great service all around.  We were particularly entranced by the Mantas feeding around the main jetty.  While the beach-villa wasn't what I was expecting, it was priced accordingly.  Meanwhile our Deluxe Water Villa had every amenity I like to have in a room and was perfect for viewing the sunset, though it wasn't ideal for viewing sea-life.

Room

We experienced both the Beach Villa (pre-remodel) and the Deluxe Water Villa.

Our Deluxe Water Villa room #347 was open, spacious and stylish.  A closet rested next to the entrance, while the bathroom lay to the right.  Double pocket doors opened from the hall to the restroom, which was graced on both sides by individual his-and-her sinks. Past that, a standalone tub sat in front of a picture window. Beyond the glass was the sprawling ocean vista. Off to the side was a glass shower and a water closet.

Out in the bedroom, a king-sized bed was featured on a platform, with night-stands on either side.  A light switch controlled built in ambient lighting around the platform, which doubled in functionality as a night-light. In front of the bed was a loveseat and a coffee table. To the right was the TV. Beyond the coffee table were French doors that led to the outdoor deck and hot tub.

IMG_8823_4_5_Balanced-1024x679.jpgIMG_8832.jpgIMG_8880.jpg

The room itself stayed cool and comfortable despite the Maldivian heat.  The hot tub never got all that hot, but given the evening temperature, it wasn't a problem for us.

The ocean surrounding the room was beautiful blue, with pristine white sand underfoot.  Because of the rooms location, snorkeling was less than ideal.  The hotel itself advises against snorkeling in that area because of strong currents. But beyond a few stray fish and a group of squid, there was little to see anyways.

The room offered picture perfect sunset views and felt relatively private. Noise from other rooms was barely noticeable, though with the outdoor speaker system, the potential to hear your neighbors certainly was present.

I think if any flaw could be remedied regarding the Deluxe Water Villas, it would be the less than completely private toilet room. From the outside jetty leading to the rooms, it was blatantly obvious when these rooms were occupied, as you could clearly make out silhouettes sitting down to do their business behind the frosted glass windows.

Dining

One of my favorite meals was included as part of the "Tour de Spa" package that we purchased.  We had a 1:30 reservation at the Mandhoo restaurant.

Our lunch was simply terrific, and honestly we might've filled up on bread alone if they kept handing us more (we probably devoured two or three platters like that shown below).  Our meal started with a trio of rolls and both pesto and apple sauce.  I'm a sucker for pesto, and I consumed much of this in my quest to down the delectable rolls.  Soon enough though, they brought out our salad.

IMG_1648-768x576.jpg

As we ate, some of the staff chummed the fish around the restaurant so guests would be able to see sharks and other fish in an area of water that appeared mostly barren otherwise.

Next up was the main course, a delectable pan-fried sea bass.  This was certainly a highlight, ranking in my opinion as one of the best meals I had in the Maldives, and it went down quick! Kim felt a little differently about the meal, preferring the polenta without the wasabi.

IMG_1654-e149499fadsfasdf294589-225x300.

Finally was dessert, a crème brulee served with berry macarons and sorbet.

IMG_1656.jpg

Our meal was excellent overall, and adding to it was the incredible atmosphere over the crystal blue of the Indian Ocean.  It was really one of the better restaurants location wise.

A Great 5-Night Stay!

Would you like to write a review on the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 17, 17, 8:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Additionally, I took a video of the Deluxe Water Villa:

Lastly, thanks to MaldivesFreak for going over my full review and giving me a few pointers!
Old Jun 17, 17, 8:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Gold. Hold AA, UA, BA, LH, SQ, VX, AF, AMEX, Citi, Chase balances
I didn't get a bear in my DWV, or a flower on the bed!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: