Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Given the cash cost of this resort, many see redeeming points here as a great option, both in terms of getting value for points, and also for experiencing one of the better Hilton group hotels that they may not otherwise have the oppportunity to do.

My first trip was done as far as possible using points. Accomodation in Maldives, Dubai, and all flights (except for the seaplane obviously). I documented my general strategy, how I pooled the points and the booking experience over a series of blog entries.

Although posted in 2015, and clearly some of the redemption options have changed since then, I feel it still stands as a reasonable template as to how to approach such a redemption booking.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last edited by tangey; May 4, 2017 at 2:25 pm
Old May 4, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Just checked in and first impressions, wow what a place. We had a water villa booked for 2 adults and 2 kids and got upgraded to a family water villa with 2 bedrooms. To say I'm delighted and gobsmacked is an understatment. Im hooked already.
Would've been very cramped. Congrats on the upgrade! It'll make all the difference. I'm sure you'll have a great time there.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA
I had 5 nights in a BV booked with points.

When I asked to upgrade 2 nights to a WV, they split the reservation into 2.

When I click on the reservation on my booking, it says total for 3 night BV stay: $2808.00 + 380,000 points. For 2 night WV stay: $1860 + points

I'm assuming cash price is shown because they have their own separate reservation system. Just want to confirm this is normal and I won't have to pay cash for those 5 nights, right?

First time going, so no idea what standards are. Thanks in advance
Old May 4, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by ducksaucei3
I had 5 nights in a BV booked with points.

When I asked to upgrade 2 nights to a WV, they split the reservation into 2.

When I click on the reservation on my booking, it says total for 3 night BV stay: $2808.00 + 380,000 points. For 2 night WV stay: $1860 + points

I'm assuming cash price is shown because they have their own separate reservation system. Just want to confirm this is normal and I won't have to pay cash for those 5 nights, right?

First time going, so no idea what standards are. Thanks in advance
Likely so, yet this question should be fielded to the Hilton Honors team. Weekend certs show the mileage investment, so I'm guessing all is good.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Likely so, yet this question should be fielded to the Hilton Honors team. Weekend certs show the mileage investment, so I'm guessing all is good.
Thanks. I've been bothering them so much that I feel bad lol
Old May 4, 2017, 9:32 pm

Perfectly normal, ducksaucei3. No need to worry. They have their way of doing things and when you do an upgrade for part of the stay they always split the booking. The resort cannot deduct more points from your account (even by accident). That can only be done via online reservations / customer service in the USA. And the amount that you will be paying in cash is what they quoted you for the upgrade, nothing more.

The only thing is when you check out it might get screwed up in your HHonors Past Stays section and you may need to contact Hilton customer service to get the correct amount of points added to your account. Keep the receipt and printout that they will give you upon check-out and you will be fine.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; May 5, 2017 at 9:22 am
Old May 5, 2017, 12:36 am

Had something similar (higher rates of points or money shown online due to upgrades) at other hotels, but never had to pay more than agreed.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Actually, why don't you try and go for a DBV? A lot easier to secure an upgrade to, comped or otherwise.
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
Alansllegal - I can recommend the DBV we loved it, plenty of pics in my recent article.
Read your review a few times now, thanks. I might pass on any paid upgrades and hope for the best, I am sure the Beach Villas are more than satisfactory

Anyway, as a data point - late July/early August, I was offered the following...

BV to DBV $175 + SC + TGST
BV to DWV $315 + SC + TGST
Old May 5, 2017, 9:24 am

ducksaucei3, I may not have been 100% clear in my post. I meant to say when you do an upgrade for part of the stay they always split the booking.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Read your review a few times now, thanks. I might pass on any paid upgrades and hope for the best, I am sure the Beach Villas are more than satisfactory

Anyway, as a data point - late July/early August, I was offered the following...

BV to DBV $175 + SC + TGST
BV to DWV $315 + SC + TGST
$315++ for Deluxe Water Villa is about $100 lower than the lowest so far. I'll add that to the wiki. Just make sure with you first that it's not a typo (as D is next to R on the keyboard and August is shoulder season with slightly higher rates which makes for an even better deal).

Cheers.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:30 pm

ducksaucei3, I may not have been 100% clear in my post. I meant to say when you do an upgrade for part of the stay they always split the booking.
Perfectly clear MaldivesFreak. Just shocked at first that the booking shows cash price + points, but looks like it's normal due to the resort's special location. Thanks again for all you do!
Old May 6, 2017, 7:08 am

Called Honors to inquire about booking BV and upgrading to OWV with cash. They said this would not be possible but CSR didn't sound very experienced.

How exactly does the upgrade process work? Book with points and then call in to hotel the next day? Is that possible to do?
Old May 6, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by FlyingP3nguin
Called Honors to inquire about booking BV and upgrading to OWV with cash. They said this would not be possible but CSR didn't sound very experienced.

How exactly does the upgrade process work? Book with points and then call in to hotel the next day? Is that possible to do?
read the wiki at the top for all your answers
Old May 6, 2017, 8:10 am

$315++ for Deluxe Water Villa is about $100 lower than the lowest so far. I'll add that to the wiki. Just make sure with you first that it's not a typo (as D is next to R on the keyboard and August is shoulder season with slightly higher rates which makes for an even better deal).

Cheers.
You can do better than $315++....
Old May 6, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward
You can do better than $315++....
Have you had a better offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.