Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:05 pm

You'd rather pay 2.7% more in cash to earn 2 more points per dollar spent on hilton spend?

That means you're paying 1.35 cents out of pocket for a hilton point which is a TERRIBLE rate.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I just got an alert that a Beach Villa can be reserved for US$370 tax included on the dates I'll be there. Kind of drops the value of the massive amount of points used, but I wonder if there's a catch, like you book (it's through Orbitz) and find out your gold status isn't recognized.
wow - don't think i've ever seen it take cheap
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I just got an alert that a Beach Villa can be reserved for US$370 tax included on the dates I'll be there. Kind of drops the value of the massive amount of points used, but I wonder if there's a catch, like you book (it's through Orbitz) and find out your gold status isn't recognized.
Are you able to Best Rate Guarantee in this instance ?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
@MaldivesFreak now that I've booked a DWV, I had a question about the current that you've mentioned around the end units. We would like to do some snorkeling but you've got me worried about how strong the current is. We know how to swim but I guess it's all relative to how strong the current will be. Any more info on this or should we avoid going into the water from our deck? Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:35 am

I've not seen a current inside the outer reef that is "knock your socks off" strong, but it may pull you around the other units and it would be easy to stand up to get out of it.
My suggestion is for the strongest swimmer to get in and see how it feels because swimming skill is too relative!
Just a couple of months back I had to rescue a foreign couple out of a flooded waterhole (in AU) so my swimming is relatively strong. It's very subjective!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:28 am

I've not encountered a really strong current in the lagoon either. Perhaps it's best to avoid swimming in strong winds if you want a weaker current.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I've not encountered a really strong current in the lagoon either. Perhaps it's best to avoid swimming in strong winds if you want a weaker current.
Winds don't have anything to do with current tbh. They affect swell (waves/chop) but current is mostly invisible. It's part of the reason it's so dangerous.

Best advice is go in from the shore, and swim/float on the surface where you can easily stand to test the current. If it's pulling you somewhere, assess whether you can easily push against it and make a judgement call.

It's all pretty good around there in my opinion, until you go quite a lot further out.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Cynicor
I've not seen a current inside the outer reef that is "knock your socks off" strong, but it may pull you around the other units and it would be easy to stand up to get out of it.
My suggestion is for the strongest swimmer to get in and see how it feels because swimming skill is too relative!
Just a couple of months back I had to rescue a foreign couple out of a flooded waterhole (in AU) so my swimming is relatively strong. It's very subjective!
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Winds don't have anything to do with current tbh. They affect swell (waves/chop) but current is mostly invisible. It's part of the reason it's so dangerous.

Best advice is go in from the shore, and swim/float on the surface where you can easily stand to test the current. If it's pulling you somewhere, assess whether you can easily push against it and make a judgement call.

It's all pretty good around there in my opinion, until you go quite a lot further out.
All great points and advice, thank you very much, and yes I agree being a strong swimmer is relative too haha. I would say I am the better swimmer than my fiance, so I will assess once we arrive, however it is good to know that standing up will negate the current (I keep forgetting that the water is not that deep and I am 6'3'' so that should help).

Thanks for the information friends.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:46 am

So I didn't see this in the wiki, but is there a list of essential items to bring with you to the Maldives, for example like a gopro, maybe a wetsuit shirt, reefshoes, etc. Just curious if there is anything that enhanced your stays. Thanks.

Last edited by thefiverivers; Apr 19, 2017 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
As a follow up, and as I discussed with SR over in the comments here... https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/st-regis-maldives-vs-park-hyatt/
I certainly didnt feel there was any point to snorkeling off my DWV. The area around it is mostly sand, and correct me if Im wrong, but the house reef is on the other island. Has anyone had a different experience?

Regardless, loved my DWV while there, did see some squid in the water from the jetty.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:17 pm

There is only a little snorkelling off from that side. You can find a few lion fish nests, some fish too big for the depth etc.

Much prefer the other side with the house reef.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Are you able to Best Rate Guarantee in this instance ?
I didn't check but it looks like the price has gone back up now anyhow.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
so a quick (and rather silly) question, If I'm not planning to do any snorkeling, is it still worth it to spend 5 days here? Is there any more stuff to do beside snorkeling (and sleeping and eating) ?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by sandyph
so a quick (and rather silly) question, If I'm not planning to do any snorkeling, is it still worth it to spend 5 days here? Is there any more stuff to do beside snorkeling (and sleeping and eating) ?
My guess is you've never been to the Maldives. It's the Maldives. It's the best tropical island destination in the world with the best food and the best service in the world. Not to mention there are a plethora of spa treatments and activities and excursions to do. 5 days will fly by. After 50 you might want to return to the big city, so to speak.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:57 pm

Erm, thanks. As you can see I don't know much about the water. Perhaps it would be better to say that swimming in windy conditions there would be even harder because of the chop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.