Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old May 21, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
From memory it was $3 per extra kilo, it certainly wasn't much. We travelled with about 100kg of gear for 2 weeks holiday, diving equipment, underwater camera equipment, and baby equipment ! They will take everything with you, if you want. They might have to put a bag on a later flight but it will come.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
We did a 16 day trip with the Conrad Maldives being the first stop. 5 total pieces of luggage (25" rolling bag + 22" rolling bag + 20" rolling duffle + 2 backpacks). Everything was weighed at check-in. We shuffled items between bags so that the smaller rolling + duffle weighed the same as the large bag. I would pack light - never wore a pair of long pants at the resort - it was either a bathing suit or dri-fit shorts. In fact, stopped wearing shoes after day 2.😃
Old May 21, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SGP PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt PLT
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
@cliff31420
Hi, if you have too much luggage you might be able to store it in the Conrad Seaplane lounge during your stay.
I suggest that you send them an email and ask, if this is possible.
The luaggage storage in the Airport is quite expensive, last time we used it, it was 5 $ per piece, per day or 24 hours. It might be more expensive by now.
Cool, thanks for the tips. Have you or anyone here tried this option to store at Conrad lounge? Tks!

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
We did a 16 day trip with the Conrad Maldives being the first stop. 5 total pieces of luggage (25" rolling bag + 22" rolling bag + 20" rolling duffle + 2 backpacks). Everything was weighed at check-in. We shuffled items between bags so that the smaller rolling + duffle weighed the same as the large bag. I would pack light - never wore a pair of long pants at the resort - it was either a bathing suit or dri-fit shorts. In fact, stopped wearing shoes after day 2.��
So does the luggage rule mean you can have up to 25kg per person regardless how many pieces that is? I had interpreted it that it's 1 piece per person and up to 25kg (besides the 5kg for carry-on)?
Old May 22, 2016, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
We did a 16 day trip with the Conrad Maldives being the first stop. 5 total pieces of luggage (25" rolling bag + 22" rolling bag + 20" rolling duffle + 2 backpacks). Everything was weighed at check-in. We shuffled items between bags so that the smaller rolling + duffle weighed the same as the large bag. I would pack light - never wore a pair of long pants at the resort - it was either a bathing suit or dri-fit shorts. In fact, stopped wearing shoes after day 2.😃
Where else did you go on your trip? Just curious.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by cliff31420
So does the luggage rule mean you can have up to 25kg per person regardless how many pieces that is?
Right. Unless maybe you have 5 surfboards at 5Kg each which wouldn't fit on a seaplane.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:49 pm

I would also be curious to know about storage prices at Maldives airport or Conrad Lounge. We will be ending our 78 day Asia trip with 4 nights at the Conrad Maldives. We're wondering what other people have done with their luggage (or how they packed) when they came after or before a long trip.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
CLOSING BID: 885,000 points
If the dates worked, then it was a hell of a good finishing price. Considering there was about $2K of "extras" (fishing, dinners etc) if you only allow 250K points for that (0.8c per point would generally be considered brilliant value), that means the winner got 4 nights in a sunset villa for 635K points, which is x1.7 the cost of a beach villa redemption.

Although the auction mentioned that airfare wasn't included, that's a general statement to say that they won't fly you to any of the auction hotels. But it's not impossible that the sea-place transfer would be included, and if so, theres anothe $1K value.

I'm guessing that
a) Not many people had enough points to bid
b) Few of those that did, knew about the auction
c) Few of those that did know, couldn't easily see the value of the package, or had the option to make plans for an out-of-the-way place like Maldives, or indeed didn't want to spluge that number of points for 4 nights anywhere (885K could get you around 3 weeks of nights easily enough in "nice" hotels in the hilton network).

.....were some of the reasons why there were only 13 unique bidders.

Had I not already made plans to be there this year, I'd likely would have been bidding and if won, I'd have tacked on a few beach villa nights at the start.

Last edited by tangey; May 23, 2016 at 3:42 am
Old May 23, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
On the luggage. We are divers and fly with 4 suitcases (about 35 kg for each person) for 2 people, two rollerboards, a messenger bag and a backpack (small day bag sort of thing). We've never not had our bags on the plane with us. Feb a year ago the damage was $175. (Both the rollerboards had camera gear so they were heavy.) There is no luggage charge on the return, at least we've never been charged, so it's for both ways.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Where else did you go on your trip? Just curious.
We had a quick overnight in Abu Dhabi between the US and Maldives. On the way back, we had a 3 night stopover in Dubai, 2 nights in Brisbane to see friends and then 2 nights in Singapore.

As far as luggage was concerned on the seaplane, we assumed that multiple checked bags were okay so long as the total was 25kg or less. For some reason I can't find our receipt from Trans Maldavian, but I believe that one of our carryon's was over 5kg so may be it is really 30kg total per person? All of the luggage flies in the cabin and they took our backpacks as soon as we stepped on the plane so not sure how it is really calculated.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: points traveller
30kg/person. $5/kg over. plus they do a pretty thorough inspection and make you sign for any damage so you don't claim it was them.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:54 am

I was looking online at diamond benefits and noticed free breakfast is noted for Atoll market, but not Vilu. When I was there in 2010 Vilu was included...is that no longer the case??

Reference link: http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/h...-benefits.html
Old May 24, 2016, 10:55 am

It has never changed. Don't pay attention to ANYTHING on Hilton's website(s). They are about as good at updating info there as a pig is at flying.

The Wiki also states it's available at both.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by hyprspeed
I was looking online at diamond benefits and noticed free breakfast is noted for Atoll market, but not Vilu. When I was there in 2010 Vilu was included...is that no longer the case??

Reference link: http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/h...-benefits.html
We were just there May 1-6 (can we go back, work is hard!) and breakfast at Vilu was available for Diamonds.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:57 pm

Just to show you how incompetent they still are, they have updated their site with new pics of some of the villas but botched it up even more. From what I've seen I like the previous pics of the WVs much better. These new ones are too bright and washed out.

But that's not the real problem. After being told 3 months ago, they still haven't changed the sizes of the WV and SWV (each is still displaying the size of the other) and what's more, they've even screwed up the pics, with this one as the second pic of the 5 that show the standard WV

As you can see it's from a DWV and the position of, and view from, the bath, is completely different from the next pic in the sequence, this one

which is actually not even the right one! It's from a SWV! Some people are going to think there are two baths in that villa type. Or maybe others will think there are different designs of the same villa type and not know which they will get. Not to mention that there is actually no pic there that shows the bathroom of the WV.....
And what's with the ghost girl in the bikini?!

Looks like the Manager of Simple Things is earning his $1.50 per annum salary, LOL!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; May 24, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Counting down the days. We leave this weekend for Japan for 10 days... then 5 here. Hoping the kids love it. Our budget has taken a hit with the WF letters but will still try and make it memorable

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.