Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by goliath
A quick update from me as well:

We are still in our BV and are enjoying it - the plus is that we are very close to everything, specially to the Kids Club for the little one. I have come to hate the "open air" vanity, though. In this heat, it has not been enjoyable.... We had a peek inside 201 which has already been renovated and that the vanity now is "inside" looks like a big plus to me. Also the new use of the space where the water fountain is today looks like a good upgrade. I will stop by later to take some pics.

Getting an upgrade to an overwater villa took some work. But now we managed to get into a RWV for our last five nights starting tomorrow. ^

We were told from the beginning that they were sold out and there was not much they could do. Only after I showed them what they are still selling on their website, we got a call with the upgrade offer. Maybe it also was a misunderstanding and they thought we were looking for a free upgrade...

We did get a nice firework display on Friday night courtesy of the Kardashians. Kris Jenner and Courtney Gamble were here for a short visit and had the southern tip of Rangali Island for a party on Friday night. Rumour has it, this was an engagement party (but I don't "keep up with the Kardashians", so I couldn't say whose engagement...). The fireworks were set up at the arrival platform and the bridge was closed for the event:

Kris Jenner also posted a pic of the Overwater Spa on Instagram calling it "her office situation today".

They flew back to Dubai on Saturday.
We couldn't get a late checkout, from 415, due to 100% occupancy on Thursday, which was a little irritating.
We also hated the outdoor vanity unit in our BV and glad we left after 2 nights.
Kris Jenner was at the shark feeding, at Mandhoo, on Thursday as was the camera crew. They had flown in from Vail, where the rest of the Kardashians were!!!! I don't follow them either, however some friends from our children's school were also skiing there and saw them!
I have to say although it was ridiculously hot, the first week we were there, it's freezing in the UK
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
A quick update from me as well:

We did get a nice firework display on Friday night courtesy of the Kardashians. Kris Jenner and Courtney Gamble were here for a short visit and had the southern tip of Rangali Island for a party on Friday night. Rumour has it, this was an engagement party (but I don't "keep up with the Kardashians", so I couldn't say whose engagement...). The fireworks were set up at the arrival platform and the bridge was closed for the event:
A quick google suggests this was a birthday:-
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...icture-w203089
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mileageking
How much was the upgrade to RWV?
I will report after our departure - don't want to jeopardize our upgrade.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Got a funny post coming up about that job at CR. It's gonna shock you all.
I'm glad you got the job! ^

The website now says:

POSITION FILLED

Sorry, this position is no longer available
Originally Posted by Yuff
They had flown in from Vail, where the rest of the Kardashians were!!!!
That sounds more glamorous than it really was, apparently. They were spotted in LA taking a "regular" flight, then in Dubai again before and after their trip here. Yes, I was that bored that I googled it...

Originally Posted by tangey
A quick google suggests this was a birthday:-
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...icture-w203089
Not that I really care, but nope, that wasn't it, because:

A) Kourtney wasn't here

B) her birthday is today (not last Friday)

Last edited by goliath; Apr 18, 2016 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:50 am

I'm glad you got the job! ^
If I got that job a lot of heads would roll, that I can tell you.

The website now says:
POSITION FILLED

Sorry, this position is no longer available
Yeah, noticed that today. Feel sorry for the poor sod.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
A) Kourtney wasn't here
I saw Courtney in the op's post. Apparently this isn't Kourtney. At this point whatever meagre amount of interest I had in this bit of trivia, has faded.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:39 pm

I will report after our departure - don't want to jeopardize our upgrade.
Looks like it may not have been a lot. Agree ^
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
One week to go until I arrive in Rangali for the first time... and this thread is the quietest I've ever seen it

I'm so unbelievably psyched, I need more information. Anything
Very interested to hear about discounted upgrades and also the story on that job!

Is anybody going to make use of this for an upcoming points stay?
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Default.aspx?ct=1

(link will only be valid on 20/04/16)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
One week to go until I arrive in Rangali for the first time... and this thread is the quietest I've ever seen it

Very interested to hear about discounted upgrades and also the story on that job!
Yes, it's quiet. But not for long.....
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:59 am

Wink Sorry.....I just couldn't resist! :-P

Originally Posted by Braswch
Hmmm. Looks like they need to employ a Director of Simple Things.

So let's take an in-depth look at just what's involved in this position supposedly called Director of Business Development. Some first-hand knowledge of the property is paramount

* "Exceptional hospitality awaits you on this private island....."
* "Set on a private island in the middle of the Indian Ocean"

Erm, since we're only talking about one island here, we have to ask which island it is. Is it Mummy Island? Daddy Island? Or maybe Baby Island, otherwise known as Staff Island. Mummy Island is not private as guests from Daddy Island can visit. And we see that Daddy Island is not private either as guests from Mummy Island can visit. However Baby Island is in fact private and access is restricted. Wow, if you had a room on Baby Island you could even watch the guys play football from your 5m² room before the sun goes down! Yay! At $2650++ in Festive Season that sounds like damn good value for money for a top bunk! Well, I presume they'd give you the top bunk but hey, you never know. They don't have to give Golds and Diamonds top bunks or bunks with ocean views either, you know.

Next up is competitive edge. Thesedays it must be extremely difficult to get any kind of tangible advantage over other luxury resorts, mustn't it? There are almost 110 resorts now open with only 2 or 3 being twin-island properties. If you were operating a twin-island resort, highlighting the obvious advantage that you had, and on a consistent basis, especially on your landing page, would be one hot drawcard, would it not? So, has Hilton managed so far to pull off this monumental task with the property that is the crown jewel in their chain? Let's take a look at the text highlighted in red in the following screenshot of Conrad Rangali's homepage taken just yesterday

Epic fail!

And believe me, you don't wanna know just how long it's been like that.

In addition, did you know folks, that according to the above, Rangali is a resort at a hotel. Pretty cool, huh. I know hotels have things like rooms, beds, bathrooms and the like but I didn't know hotels had resorts. Did you? It's either a hotel or a resort, not both and not one located at the same site as the other, duh. Besides, the word 'hotel' degrades the property somewhat and is an entirely inappropriate term to describe such a property. I'm just blown away by the professional writing.

Now, hands up those of you that think long term advertising and exposure of the property as a single-island resort (just like the other 107 or so single-island resorts) has not, even slightly, adversely affected, quote (from the Hospitality Online page), "sales, revenue, reservation, and group events and marketing" at the property? No hands? No surprise.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. About 18 months ago Conrad's website had a picture of a standard BV representing the Sunset Water Villa, LMAO! They only fixed it after I sent them an email pointing it out. No surprise really, considering no-one ever checks anything. And it's been almost a month after I told them that the sizes were incorrect on both the WV and SWV pages. No change yet.

So folks, just what will this new Director of Simple Things be doing once employed? Let's see. For starters he or she would have to learn what the words hotel and resort mean and realize not to use them both to describe a single property, but he or she would also have to.....wait for it, it's a big ask..........be able to count to 2

Oh dear, just how many times can't they count to 2?

Yes people, somebody forgot about the pool over at The Quiet Zone. You know, the 15m long one that's been there for more than 5 years. And there are 2 spas, no? Maybe the Over-Water Spa is just a mirage.....

So, in essence, this is what they really need.....someone who can at least match these criteria

Let's move on, shall we. Oh look! You can drive to Rangali!

Oh, wait.....I'll just go out and buy one of these. Then I'll actually be able to drive to Rangali!

And since the submarine's been out of action for years already (and Hilton's too damn stingy to fix it) and I'm a Saudi Prince (with wads of hundys coming out my ears and shirt pockets.....and dropping on the ground for a particular kind of guest to pick up and walk away with).....I'll just buy one of these and drive 'n' dive to Rangali! Pwned!! ^

But seriously, folks. As we progress further into the depths of incompetence and slacka$$ery*, we see that these already extremely difficult tasks get progressively more difficult. Check out the following 'maps', if that's what they dare to call them! The first one shows the resort in 'Atlantis Mode'.
* New word? Looks like it. God this is just too easy and too much fun! And who said this thread was boring!

And we see that Blackstone continues to make wads of cash, and even more so with the price of crude thesedays, greedy pigs.....and that they have invested in some high tech. Here we see the resort in 'Stealth Mode'

You think that's bad? Try this (on Rangali's own website)

We can actually see the islands if we zoom out a couple of steps

So, folks. The islands can move, just like they do here!
If you're going to have maps, and use 2 providers as well (Google and Bing), at least make sure you SHOW the place ON the map for crying out loud! Honestly, how difficult can it be? TripAdvisor, just like Rangali on their job placement ad, uses Google Maps and it shows up fine. Agoda has a map (OpenStreetMaps) and it shows the resort. So why not with Hilton? We see it's because they are just, well.....oozing professionalism!

Re: About This Job - What will I be doing?
Here are some suggestions for additional requirements for a successful, multi-braincelled applicant

* Correcting all of the errors, mistakes, screwups and mismatched information highlighted above in the current, sub-standard marketing material that has, until now, undoubtedly set Conrad Rangali apart from the competition in more ways than one. Did you get the joke there, Hilton?

Note that they don't discuss salary in the job description and it's not surprising they've been struggling to find someone as I found this secret document

So there it is folks. You can no doubt find more if you look but it's enough for a good laugh. And hopefully someone from Hilton will see it and take note. And maybe Blackstone as well but that's probably a big ask.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Apr 20, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Lol @Maldivesfreak.... you have some time no doubt
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by Jermyn

Is anybody going to make use of this for an upcoming points stay?
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Default.aspx?ct=1

(link will only be valid on 20/04/16)
you're diamond already i think? (have read your TR's!) take a peek at the availability on your travel dates - i reckon you're probably a pretty good shot at getting at least a one tier comp upgrade.

only tip would be don't do night fishing (> 10 pax on our boat. total catch 4 tiny fish), and unless you've got money to burn - potentially steer clear of Ithaa except cocktails.

that second one might kick up a bit of a stink but we felt ripped off paying USD900 for dinner in there (having dined the previous week at EMP and Chef's Table in NYC for the same price). once the feeding was over there wasn't a heap of aquatic life and once it's dark it's dark. sure they have a few lights here and there but I definitely wouldn't be going back. YMMV.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Lol @Maldivesfreak.... you have some time no doubt
Certainly living up to his handle . Probably best to move on....
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:17 pm

Hi wan!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Wow MaldivesFreak, it seems that it was just the calm before the storm!

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
you're diamond already i think? (have read your TR's!) take a peek at the availability on your travel dates - i reckon you're probably a pretty good shot at getting at least a one tier comp upgrade.

only tip would be don't do night fishing (> 10 pax on our boat. total catch 4 tiny fish), and unless you've got money to burn - potentially steer clear of Ithaa except cocktails.

that second one might kick up a bit of a stink but we felt ripped off paying USD900 for dinner in there (having dined the previous week at EMP and Chef's Table in NYC for the same price). once the feeding was over there wasn't a heap of aquatic life and once it's dark it's dark. sure they have a few lights here and there but I definitely wouldn't be going back. YMMV.
Thanks for the tips diningdecadence and thanks for reading my TRs!

Given that a lot of the beach villas are currently being renovated and occupancy is 100% in both them and the basic water villas, I agree. I would think our chances of an upgrade are high!

We will be diving as much as possible so don't much see the point in Ithaa, I'm glad you confirmed my thoughts on this. I'd rather spend the money at one of the restaurants where we can enjoy warm evenings outdoors and views of the ocean from above (still undecided on the wine cellar as it does seem a shame to be buried away underground).

The fishing trip was a maybe for us but honestly, given that we'll spend a lot of time away from the resort for diving, other activities would have to be pretty great to warrant spending even more time away from Rangali.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:37 am

I do recommend both The Wine Cellar and The Wine & Cheese Bar. If you've never had cheese fondue before it's really a nice change and not expensive in the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.