Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs {US-CA}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs {US-CA}

Old Dec 22, 16, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Velocity Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs {US-CA}

I'm planning to stay here for NYE (31 Dec 16 to 2 Jan 17).
I haven't seen any reviews of this hotel at all on flyertalk.
Does anyone have anything to say about this hotel?

Rates over NYE were high so I booked with points for one night (30k) and then Points & Cash over the 2nd night (12k + $50).
Points/P&C do not require payment of the resort fee which is even better value.
Old Dec 22, 16, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Stayed there twice last summer and was met with a very nice staff with consistent and helpful service. The property is nice with a large pool. There is an adjacent golf course (Princess) which I found of average quality mostly because I don't like home lined holes .

The only issue I have is the $25 resort charge. I didn't see any additional resort benefit from staying here than at another large property.

I met the GM while staying here and he seemed very interested in making this a top end property.
Old Dec 24, 16, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Stayed there twice last summer and was met with a very nice staff with consistent and helpful service. The property is nice with a large pool. There is an adjacent golf course (Princess) which I found of average quality mostly because I don't like home lined holes .

The only issue I have is the $25 resort charge. I didn't see any additional resort benefit from staying here than at another large property.

I met the GM while staying here and he seemed very interested in making this a top end property.
Thanks tkelvin69, for Hilton elites, is it full breakfast or only continental breakfast that is complimentary?
Old Dec 24, 16, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brooding View Post
Thanks tkelvin69, for Hilton elites, is it full breakfast or only continental breakfast that is complimentary?
I believe I got a voucher for a full breakfast. I don't remember if it was a set amount or anything on the menu but it covered everything I ordered excluding tip.
Old Jan 10, 17, 2:52 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to give a brief review of my recent two night stay at this hotel.
We stayed over NYE (31 Dec 2016 to 2 Jan 2017).
As diamonds we were upgraded to a suite on request at arrival.
They mentioned it was their last one, we arrived around 3pm.
(The hotel seemed fully booked as I overheard someone complaining about being walked, at check out on the final day).

The room was huge, and included a wrap around balcony and gorgeous views.

As mentioned above, a full buffet breakfast is provided including omelette station.
Each day there is also a special Mexican meat dish (rotating) for breakfast.

The gym is small but standard for a Doubletree.

Pool is quite nice and seems to be somewhat heated during the Winter. The jacuzzis are definitely heated.
turtlemichael likes this.
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Any recent reviews of this hotel? Planning a Feb 2019 stay here, 2 adults 2 teenage kids. Long weekend with no particular plans as of yet.

Only unique thing I noticed about this hotel was that some rooms appear to have their own outdoor fire pits, which sounds kind of fun for a winter stay. Has anyone had one of these rooms?
Old Jan 26, 20, 7:22 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Doubletree Palm Springs - Bad experience as a Diamond

I just checked into this property and wow, they could care less about elites (or customer service for that matter). This starts with not getting an upgrade, but I just want to say I've missed out on plenty of upgrades and had wonderful stays, it's more about being lied to.

- First off checked the app before arrival and it is offering 3 different paid upgrade options (one as low as $10). I did not check in or take these upgrades
- When I checked in they had my room key already there and I was just handed it without any discussion (she barely said a word)
- I asked about an upgrade, and she said I was already upgraded. I had to show her my booking confirmation for her to stop lying to me.
- Then she said no rooms are available. Fair enough, it happens, although it had to happen within the last hour....
- I checked hilton.com when I got to the room, and they are selling all three of the next up room types for tonight. So another lie.
- I called the front desk and asked if a manager was available. She (same woman) said no, nobody tonight, nobody tomorrow night. Conveinently, the manager returns just after my check-out time on Tuesday.

I tried to text the hotel as it shows on the hotel website, and the text bounces.

What would you do? How can I try to get the property or Hilton to acknowledge what they are doing wrong? I don't even want the upgrade anymore, it's just being lied to that I am unhappy about.
Old Jan 26, 20, 7:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
What would you do?
Move on with my life. You are one of probably thousands of hotel customers today worldwide who were refused an upgrade for whatever reason the hotel decides. Upgrades are not a guarantee. If you wanted a fancier room you should have booked a fancier room.
Old Jan 26, 20, 7:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Move on with my life. You are one of probably thousands of hotel customers today worldwide who were refused an upgrade for whatever reason the hotel decides. Upgrades are not a guarantee. If you wanted a fancier room you should have booked a fancier room.
I knew someone would get on their high horse about this.

Ok this is the thing, upgrades are guaranteed if available. And I was lied to. That's the point. if the rooms were full, I'd have not a single complaint about missing out.

Yes, I will move on with my life, but this forum is about hotel program benefits and it's pretty normal for complaints that are insignificant in the grand scheme of life to be discussed here.

I'm not going to take it any further at the property, I'm about to go have a nice dinner and enjoy my time here. But I want to make sure for others that stay at Hilton properties that when benefits are denied, Hilton and the properties know about it and get negative feedback.
Old Jan 27, 20, 1:27 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
It sounds like you don’t really want to fight but you want acknowledgment from someone at the hotel that they hear your concern. I figure these days that this probably falls on deaf ears and they throw you a form letter apology and maybe some points. With that said, some things I’ve done for this sort of situation:

1. Share your experience: post on tripadvisor (be sure to use “diamond” in your review so it shows up in searches). There’s also a thread for the hotel here: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs {US-CA} — post there or maybe the mods will merge this.

2a. Tweet to Hilton: I’ve done this sparingly (it’s the lying, not the actual lack of upgrade, that gets me - and I’m guessing you too). I’ve gotten points.

2b. Email diamond desk, see 2a, but twitter responses seem less canned.

3. Write the GM: I’ve done this only once and it was an egregious confluence of events far worse than this (ended with a free night certificate), so probably not an escalation to pursue here. I have, however, asked for the GM’s address during an argument such as the one you had during check-in and each time a manager has appeared or an upgrade suddenly became available.

4. Post-stay survey: Not sure who actually looks at these but be brutally honest.
Old Jan 27, 20, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
From the HH terms and conditions:
  • Diamond Elite Members will receive the following during stays as a registered Diamond Elite Member: At Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Canopy™ by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton and DoubleTree by Hilton™ and Tapestry Collection by Hilton™ properties, Diamond Hilton Honors Members may receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability at the time of arrival. Upgrades for Diamond Hilton Honors Members may include upgrades up to “junior”, “standard” or “one-bedroom” suites. Upgrades exclude executive suites, villas and specialty accommodations/floors/towers (which may include, but not limited to, "Vista," "Villa," or “Club” accommodation types), subject to the discretion of the hotel. Group reservations and certain rates are not eligible for suite accommodations and may not be eligible for complimentary upgrades. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis for the entire stay, as determined at the time of arrival. Preferred rooms are identified by each individual property and may vary within each brand. Upgrades will be given only for one room for the member, regardless of additional rooms the member may have purchased at or after the time of booking. The following brands do not offer complimentary upgrades: Embassy Suites™, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hampton by Hilton™, Tru by Hilton™, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, Home2 Suites by Hilton®, and Hilton Grand Vacations®.
Preferred rooms may also include those not on the Executive Floor but conferring Executive Lounge access, the next-best available room types, rooms with desirable views or amenities or other rooms identified as “preferred” by the hotel and may vary within each brand.
The t and c's provide a lot of wiggle room to individual properties, use "may" not "shall", and with the preferred room language can include rooms that do not necessarily even cost more but have some other quality defined by the property as being better. I usually see more upgrades when I check in later in the day and for single night or other short stays.

If you are upset or unhappy, write a letter to Hilton, provide negative feedback on the survey, complain to the GM either before you leave or after. Me, I let it go and enjoy the room I booked, and if it really bothers me enough I book elsewhere in the future (it usually doesn't -- my choice to not return to a property is usually based upon other factors). If I like the hotel I usually don't book elsewhere and most places, as a return guest, I usually see more upgrades.

See these threads:
Check in agent lies about upgrade availability - what do you do?
Why a Diamond is Not Upgraded Despite Availability
When did Hilton properties start denying upgrades in advance?!
Diamond yet never upgraded!
Never been upgraded as a diamond
A vent - why do Front Desk Associates Say "sold out?"
How do you handle denied upgrade when there are rooms available?
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:53 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Basically a hotel decides how they treat elites, I think this is pretty much like that with Hilton and Marriott. Check out the Marriott forum and see how many people are talking about not being able to use their Suite Night Awards. I normally ask for upgrade when travelling with kids and if they said it's sold out then I know that they don't want to give me an upgrade (no reason to argue with a powerless front desk).

I'll remember those good hotels which gave me an upgrade and will try to stay at those places when I return in the future.
Old Jan 27, 20, 5:55 am

I am a Diamond and pay for any upgrades I want. I know in theory I should get the upgrades, but since I usually travel to popular destinations on both coasts, I know my chances are low for free upgrades.
mctaste likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:41 am

I have an extended stay at a Hilton coming up, and they already sent me an email to say there's no upgrades. At least they provided a warning, unfortunately.😏
Old Jan 27, 20, 7:56 am

Programs: Several
It's kinda funny how it's two-fold; loyalty customers trying to garner the best of benefits while hotel franchisee owners are trying to skirt loyalty program benefits. Then of course, you have Hilton/Marriott (who are likely indifferent for the majority of minor issues) playing middle man between these two. It goes back to the idea of; if you want something, pay for it and do not expect otherwise. Not a hard idea to grasp.

Granted, I've had my fair share of excellent upgrades, as a gold member mind you, at properties that I returned to eventually (not just because of the upgrade ironically). The upgrades were so nice that we decided to pay for those rooms in our future stays because we thought they were worth it from previous experiences, and they weren't horrendously more than standard rooms. To be fair, these upgrades were mostly on international leisure trips.
hhdl and mctaste like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: