Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Hilton can't really have it both ways. They push Diamond status as something to attain to because of the upgrades. They market with Amex a credit card with an expensive annual fee by saying you will get Diamond status and therefore upgrades.

So, it must be frustrating when those upgrades don't seem to appear. Especially when the front desk tries to convince you that you did get the upgrade, when you know you didn't.

I had bad luck with Diamond upgrades, so I remain a Gold (via a credit card with a much lower annual fee) and if I get an upgrade, I am surprised and delighted.

But I would be equally as frustrated as the OP if it had happened to me.
CPMaverick, Amelorn and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Hilton can't really have it both ways. They push Diamond status as something to attain to because of the upgrades. They market with Amex a credit card with an expensive annual fee by saying you will get Diamond status and therefore upgrades.

So, it must be frustrating when those upgrades don't seem to appear. Especially when the front desk tries to convince you that you did get the upgrade, when you know you didn't.

I had bad luck with Diamond upgrades, so I remain a Gold (via a credit card with a much lower annual fee) and if I get an upgrade, I am surprised and delighted.

But I would be equally as frustrated as the OP if it had happened to me.
Loyalty programs are largely just a scheme to keep people from shopping around, and usually provide very little actual value. All the “loyalty” flows in one direction.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I guess I should have said 'Hilton really can have it both ways'.
CPMaverick, Amelorn and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I guess I should have said 'Hilton really can have it both ways'.
I think you're right, but it's the way Hilton markets their loyalty program along with affiliated credit card benefits. Hilton is the middle man, and they are trying to solicit to both the hotel owners as well as the customer.

The hotel owners are going to try and put up a stand as well, which can be seen in some of the ridiculous point redemption options relative to redemption values in the past.

"Is the only point redemption option available an ADA double queen room?"
"Yes, per Hilton contracts that's all we have to provide."
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I asked about an upgrade, and she said I was already upgraded. I had to show her my booking confirmation for her to stop lying to me.
What does it say in your confirmation email below Your Room Information? And what does it say under Room & Rate in My Stays in the Hilton App? If you booked a 2 bed queen room at that hotel then I can see the scope could be limited. They may well be selling rooms with a mountain view but actually offering any late cash buyers a suite instead. Few would complain. I did get an upgrade at this hotel a few months ago, from King Balcony to King Patio, and I must admit I think I would have preferred the balcony, but they do charge extra for the fire pit.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PPro
THis is a total party property and guests slam in for the weekend party and leave. That wears on the staff, even the good ones. Sadly, this is a "resort" property which counts for the $250 resort credit. YOu are going for palm springs life not to hang at the hotel.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Did you at least get a cookie?
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:13 pm

OP...book the room you really want and avoid the angst. Not worth it.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have an extended stay at a Hilton coming up, and they already sent me an email to say there's no upgrades. At least they provided a warning, unfortunately.😏
Just quoting myself, and to my surprise, I was upgraded! This property (Al Seef Heritage Hotel, Hilton Curio) in Dubai has regular rooms, Souk views and Creek Views, and they have 1 bedroom suites. They found a room that has both creek and souk views with balconies in the front and back. And is upstairs from the Starbucks and the music pavilion, which is fine with me. So, I have a birds eye view of the bands playing at night from my bedroom, see the people walking by and the shops below, and can go to the front of my room and see the dhow and dinner cruise boats go by. I'm a happy camper. I'll start a separate thread about this particular property (under the hotel thread for UAE) once I check out. And I also get full breakfast buffet daily, for my 20 night stay. I got a stellar deal with the Middle-east honors sale. So, cheap the receptionist thought it was a misprint.

Also, thanks to the person on another thread here that said DO NOT check-in on the app. Which I didn't because a regular room was listed when I checked, and I didn't click on it. Good advice.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:51 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Some updates:

- After writing this thread, I sent an email, a message through the app, and a DM to Hilton on twitter. I basically said I wanted to talk to someone at the hotel before I left. Then I 'got on with my life'
- It seems the app was the most successful. I received a nice reply from Hilton saying that they called the hotel, spoke to someone, and they promised to talk to me before I checked out.
- Nothing happened at the hotel, empty promises, nobody contacted me at all.

Some answers to your posts:

- I DID book the room that I wanted. I booked a King Balcony w/pool view, and I got a King Balcony w/pool view. I didn't book the lowest room and expect an upgrade to a suite.
- Yes, the room type on my confirmation is exactly the same room type on the app during my stay.
- I did NOT get a cookie, and I didn't get the two bottles of water that Diamonds are supposed to get either (even though I asked for them). Kind of shows how awful this property is, but I didn't mention this before because I didn't want it to distract from the main issues.
- The Hilton T&C may give the property some wiggle room, but I maintain that Hilton projects that Diamonds should expect an upgrade if space is available. Not just if the property feels like it. I read the T&C to say that you are guaranteed a 'minor upgrade' if available, and that the hotel discretion is only for suites, etc. But I think it could be read either way.
- In my case the King Patio w/fire pit was the next upgrade, the property sent me two emails asking me to bid $10 for this upgrade, and this room was available for booking (4x available) after I checked in at 7 pm for a 1-night stay.

Originally Posted by kpbadger
It sounds like you don’t really want to fight but you want acknowledgment from someone at the hotel that they hear your concern.
That's exactly right. It's not really about the upgrade. I've been a diamond for years and obviously had plenty of stays without an upgrade. If the check-in person greeted me kindly, and said 'unfortunately we cannot upgrade you tonight, but let us know what else we can do' or something similar, it would have been just fine. What really irked me was that I was treated rather rudely, then lied to, twice. I just wanted to speak to someone that hopefully would reassure me that my experience was not acceptable. But this property obviously couldn't care less.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 30, 2020 at 4:42 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
OK, so that room was a King Patio, and it had a pool view then that's as far as the upgrade promise goes, the next step up is the King Studio Suite, which is excluded from the process. Technically 2 Queen beds with patio and no view of the pool is an upgrade too, but hopefully that was never in contention.

If, on the other hand, you had a view of the "mountain" (Mount San Jacinto, though it could also be described as "airport view" but whatever), rather than the pool, the one and only upgrade open to you is to the pool view version, and it's complicated because on the corners you can argue you get neither (well) and or both (badly).

It may be, of course that they were selling pool view, had actually sold out, and were "upgrading" those who had paid for that room type to the King Studio.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:33 am

No, I was not upgraded, I actually purchased a King Balcony w/Pool View and that's what I got. I paid more for this at booking than a king room without a pool view.

I made a mistake in my previous post, I said Patio when I booked and stayed in balcony. The next room type is not a suite. The next upgrade is the King Patio with outside fireplace. The property tried to sell me a $10 upgrade to this twice via email, and again when I looked to check in on the app (but I didn't check in on the app).

​​​​​​There was another non-suite upgrade for $25 but I don't recall what it was.

​​​​

​​​

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 30, 2020 at 4:39 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:14 am

Staying at this property right now as a Lifetime Diamond. Booked cheapest room, was upgraded ahead of arrival to one of the x82 suites with golf course view. Offered cookie, water, and free drink coupon at check-in. This mirrors my typical experience here. No complaints.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I think this also comes down to the attitude of the OP to the front desk agent.

We are of course hearing one side of the story but something something honey and vinegar
smmrfld likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I think this also comes down to the attitude of the OP to the front desk agent.

We are of course hearing one side of the story but something something honey and vinegar
I understand why you might think I was rude based on how I was treated. But honestly I don't know how I could have been nicer. I was all smiles but the agent had no interest, just handed me my room key without a word. When I asked about the upgrade, I even said I knew it was only space available.

It's only after the agent insisted I was upgraded already that things went a bit off, but I never lost my temper or said anything I regret. I was overwhelmingly polite, as yes, I've learned there's rarely anything to be gained by being rude.

Even if I never asked about the upgrade, I would not have received a cookie/water/drink coupon from this check-in agent.

Based on others experiences, I guess I got a bad apple. The apparent lack of management oversight on this day might have contributed too. It's still bizarre to me that nobody wanted to contact me to resolve this even when I practically begged.

This is my 6th year as a Diamond and 14th year as a Hilton elite, and other than being walked from a Hilton 13 years ago, I've never submitted a complaint of any kind.

Anyway I won't respond any more to people that want to assume the worst of me, but that's additional detail from my side.
missamo80 likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 30, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.