Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2 stays from Diamond? How strict?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

I need two more 'stays' to retain my Diamond status. Are they stringent or are there allowances if you are 'this close'. Alternatively would I have to book two stays somewhere close to home to simply 'tick the box' and therefore, retain Diamond?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Why tempt fate. I am 1 stay away and thus will book somewhere soon for $87 all incl. Not worth the potential aggravation for a lousy amount.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Agree, their program is not great and if I weren't so close, I wouldn't even bother. Thinking of taking the Marriott Platinum challenge in January to move. Marriott's food and exec lounges are so much better!!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
You need 30. Since you have options nearby, why chance it.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:32 am

"I want the status and know what I need to do to get it but I don't really want the status and the chain is no good."

Ok, end of thread...
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by cocomint6463
I need two more 'stays' to retain my Diamond status. Are they stringent or are there allowances if you are 'this close'. Alternatively would I have to book two stays somewhere close to home to simply 'tick the box' and therefore, retain Diamond?
What qualifies as "this close"? 2? 5? 29?

Many people on here say they only need 1 stay.

If you want the status, then make a few reservations and stay. If it's truly not important, don't worry about it.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cocomint6463
Marriott's food and exec lounges are so much better!!
Strange...this is one area (lounges) where it seems like these two brands are fairly similar. I've been a Gold/Plat/Diamond in both of these for 15+ years.

In the U.S./Canada: mostly barebones lounges. 95% of the time, exactly what you'd expect: bagel in the morning, little finger-food morsels in the evening. Pay for your booze. While this is perfectly fine with me, I've rarely been in a location where it was a big differentiator between Marriott and Hilton (or Sheraton for that matter).

Internationally, definitely better lounges, but true for both brands. Gets a lot more individual...here it absolutely could be a differentiator, but it could go either direction - a given city having a great Marriott lounge (Vienna) or a great Hilton lounge (HKG, Conrad).

If I were only 2 stays away living in the U.S. with access to easy/cheap stays, I'd finish off Diamond so at least you have the option next year, even if your main goal is to chase Starriott status. Also, if you *ever* do any kind of "resort" stay, you'll be glad you have HH. Wouldn't shock me to see Starwood Platinum benefits at resorts disappear at some point in the future, thanks to Marriott...
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
What qualifies as "this close"? 2? 5? 29?

Many people on here say they only need 1 stay.

If you want the status, then make a few reservations and stay. If it's truly not important, don't worry about it.
My thought exactly...have much of 2017 already booked- 26 stays....think I am close enough?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by arlflyer
"I want the status and know what I need to do to get it but I don't really want the status and the chain is no good."

Ok, end of thread...
Haha! Maybe I'm a bit of a jerk, but my opinion on stuff like this is that it should be a "no waivers, no favors" policy. There's a published and very clear requirement, so why should a hotel have to bend the rules because someone is "close?"
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Delta Gold, Avis Preferred Plus,
They are strict, I have had friends with 29 stays get denied.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Do the stays if you want the status. "Day-use only" rates also qualify as "stays" if your nearby hotel offers that as an option (usually cheaper). Category 1 or 2 hotels as awards are also a good option.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by poker9ite
They are strict, I have had friends with 29 stays get denied.
One has to appreicate the irony of this

They won't give him Diamond with 1 extra stay but they give them out like candy for status matches, credit cards and what not
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999

They won't give him Diamond with 1 extra stay but they give them out like candy for status matches, credit cards and what not
Yes, but all it takes is a couple of people to post on Flyertalk that they were renewed with 29 stays for HHonors to take a lot of grief from folks who want the same special treatment. Then it becomes 28, then 27, etc. etc.

The other irony is wanting shortcuts to status, whilst presumably knowing that if everybody else is taking the same shortcut, lounges, etc. will be heaving and upgrades will be few and far between...
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999

It's not really ironic, no. The credit card status with spend, status matches, etc., are all calculated business decisions where they've weighed the cost/benefit. One might note that Hilton has, anecdotally, been pretty tight on phony or circuitous status matches, meaning that it's using them for what it at least perceives to be legitimate opportunities to poach customers from competitor chains. I think (know) they're smarter than a lot of people on here give them credit for.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:37 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If they were going to give it with 29 stays then they would reduce the requirement from 30 to 29.

If you have 29 stays and feel bitter about status being "given out like candy", then - why didn't you stop at 20 and stay elsewhere, or why didn't you get the candy yourself since it's apparently so easy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.