Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: emofeng
Diamond benefit as of Dec 28, 2018
  • $50 benefit ($25/pp; max 2) toward food, can be used on room service or at any food outlet. This can be used toward breakfast but there is no specific breakfast benefit.
  • Noon checkout
  • Space available upgrade; one category. Room to suite is ineligible, regardless of category booked (as of 09/2019)
Cost of valet parking: $70 (as of 09/28/2023)

Print Wikipost

Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
The most amazing wedding proposal possible

We kicked off our US vacation with a stay in style at this beautiful property. I had long planned to finally propose to my partner of 16 years at this very hotel after having stayed at the neighbouring Beverly Hilton in the past. After indicating this special occasion to the management beforehand, the team went out of their way to make this special occasion even more wonderful. We had used Hilton points for this stay which I’d say is amongst the best use for these points possible. Unfortunately, there’s always only rooms with two Queen bed configuration available as redemption but as Diamonds we were kindly upgraded to a King room with views of the Hollywood Hills. The rooms are absolutely breathtaking, with lots of art work throughout and amazing outdoor balconies to take in the views. Actually, the “standard” rooms here are about the same size as suites in other properties so we were very happy with it. The mattress was one of the most comfortable during our entire holiday and service throughout the property absolutely impeccable.

I chose the roof top restaurant for the special moment and this choice could not have been more perfect. My now fiancée broke into tears and said yes before I could even finish the question and proposing with views of the famous Hollywood sign in the background was just amazing. Staff were also so lovely up there and kept calling us the “two lovebirds” (even the following day!) which was just so cute and special. Moreover, they were all perfectly attuned to having two men proposing to each other which unfortunately even in this day and age is not the norm everywhere. The proximity to WeHo obviously helped and we used this to catch up with a dear old friend for dinner on Santa Monica Boulevard. When we came back to our room, we were welcomed by a lovely sweet amenity with “Congratulations” in chocolate writing and the entire room was decorated in heart shaped rose pedals and little tea lights (see pictures). I hadn’t planned this at all so it was an extra surprise for the both of us and just so lovely and wonderful that we both broke into tears with happiness. Moreover, we tend to carry some stuffed toys with us (I know, I know…) and in our absence they added a cute little teddy bear in Waldorf Astoria bathrobe to our existing crew, which was such a thoughtful touch.

All in all, we couldn’t have chosen a better property! Before I forget mentioning it: The roof top pool was stunning as well and due to the rather chilly weather that weekend we greatly appreciated the hot tub next to it. I have nothing but praise to say about this property and already know where my next HHonors points will be spent at once we’re back to LA! Special thanks to Antonio, the hotel’s manager, who went above and beyond to make this special occasion so extra wonderful for us!

Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: QF SG
I'm looking forward to a stay here in June.

1. What is an appropriate trip for using the car service in the local area?
2. Can you request a time for the car before check in (my check in won't be until around 8pm)?
3. When using the 2*$25 Diamond credit is my assumption correct that you can't include the tip (e.g. spend $40, tip $10)?

Last edited by bacook; Apr 25, 2022 at 5:43 pm Reason: For clarity
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by bacook

When using the 2*$25 Diamond credit is my assumption correct that you can't include the tip (e.g. spend $40, tip $10)?
This had my initial assumption been too. But funnily, at most properties, the tip amount was just also taken off the bill alongside the actual cost (and taxes etc.) as long as under the total maximum. So, at the WA I had given generous tips both at the roof top bar and by the pool but my final invoice ended up with zero Dollar and zero cents (quite an achievement for the amazing stay we've had!).
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by bacook

1. What is an appropriate trip for using the car service in the local area?
2. Can you request a time for the car before check in (my check in won't be until around 8pm)?
3. When using the 2*$25 Diamond credit is my assumption correct that you can't include the tip (e.g. spend $40, tip $10)?
You cannot request the car service in advance it’s first come first served sometimes with a dose of attitude
Haven’t used it in years but early on you could check with the Conceirge to see if anyone is free
that may have changed
Personnally I have tipped 5 to ten dollars and drivers have always seemed quite happy with that for the short drive In the mile or two they are allowed to take you.I’m sure some have done more or less
I know for certain having spoken to drivers for other Waldorfs there is a preferred guest list of who they want to drive unless completely free
So the A list gets first shot and all the rest of we plebeian’s are next in line if the stars align 😳😃

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 25, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
You cannot request the car service in advance it’s first come first served sometimes with a dose of attitude
Haven’t used it in years but early on you could check with the Conceirge to see if anyone is free
that may have changed
Personnally I have tipped 5 to ten dollars and drivers have always seemed quite happy with that for the short drive In the mile or two they are allowed to take you.I’m sure some have done more or less
I know for certain having spoken to drivers for other Waldorfs there is a preferred guest list of who they want to drive unless completely free
So the A list gets first shot and all the rest of we plebeian’s are next in line if the stars align 😳😃
I reserved the house car for myself ahead of time during the day. Had breakfast, texted concierge, reserved it for a shopping trip at lunch and for dinner at 7pm. Night shift is a Rolls Royce Phantom which is nice. I tipped them $20, which would have been the same price as an UberX due to the inflated rates. You can call and they'll also pick you up if they're free.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by phant0m
I reserved the house car for myself ahead of time during the day. Had breakfast, texted concierge, reserved it for a shopping trip at lunch and for dinner at 7pm. Night shift is a Rolls Royce Phantom which is nice. I tipped them $20, which would have been the same price as an UberX due to the inflated rates. You can call and they'll also pick you up if they're free.
I called the hotel directly to get the latest information and further clarity here is what they shared as of now.
It is clearly a much better procedure than what I experienced in the past happy to report
Operating hours of house car service is as follows

Based upon availability
Appointments may be booked up to 1 week in advance ( texting for bookings is available only in house)
Sunday to Thursday 2 PM to 10PM
Friday & Saturday 10 AM to 10:45 PM
Pick up if available must be made at least 20 minutes in advance
Must be in a 3 mile radius.I know WA Las Vegas for example is within a shorter range

As some may know management has changed at this property and so may have policies my last stay went great some in the past poorly.
But what was shared with me in house previously either was incorrect or a result of a changed procedure

Thanks for everyone's post as I am more likely to return.after hearing of better ease of access to the house car.
I'd be interested to hear if others do equally as well
DiverDave, bacook, Kacee and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Feel like I just won the lottery. Have been checking all week for a trip to LA this weekend, and a Standard award (Superior 2 Queen with Terrace) just opened. Called and booked using an Amex Free Night cert. A few hours earlier, the cheapest room was pricing at 445,000 points (and selling for $1245).

I didn't even mind the 17 minutes it took on the phone to book with an offshore agent.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Beautiful Property, Marred Only By Truly Nasty FDM

Overall we had a very nice stay. The property is beautiful and service was (mostly) excellent. We especially enjoyed breakfast in Jean-Georges, the extremely comfortable bed, and having the rooftop pool to ourselves on a Sunday morning.

The only negative was the extraordinarily arrogant and rude front desk manager (Tori). I booked 2 Queen Superior using Amex Free Night Award. Day before arrival, asked via chat if it would be possible to move to a 1 King. Tori responded that the request was noted, but that any change would be subject to availability. Okay, no problem I figured, since app was showing availability in pretty much every room type, including Deluxe King, which would be the standard one class upgrade.

We arrived around 2:45 Saturday afternoon. Tori checked us in. No mention of Diamond status, nor of any benefits (such as breakfast). She went to hand me keys, I asked what room we were in, she said 301. Having looked at the map, I knew this was pretty much the worst room on the property - lowest floor, no view, shared wall with the guest elevators. I politely asked whether any Diamond upgrades were available. She responded, "no there is no availability." I pointed out that the app showed availability in pretty every room category. She said "yes, but there is no upgrade availability." We went back and forth for a good five minutes over the claimed distinction between rooms for sale and upgrade availability. Finally she said "we have rooms available for paid upgrade . . . what are you looking for, a suite?" I said, "all I want is a king bed, out of the base room, and not next to the elevator." She finally relented and gave us a Deluxe King on the 11th floor, with the south view. She claimed that housekeeping was doing a "final check" on the room and it would be ready in a matter of minutes. This game went on for over an hour (well past check-in time) with her repeatedly making excuses why the room was not yet available. When she finally gave us the keys, her parting words were "and no late check-out." (Which was substantively fine, since we were planning to leave around 11 am anyway, but the delivery could hardly have been more offensive.)

Fortunately, once we were past Tori the dragon, everyone else was courteous and professional, and we really enjoyed the stay. But if you're redeeming points or a FNA here, prepare to be treated like a second-class citizen!
Old May 2, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS Peon
My SO and I are planning on a short California road trip in August - flying into LA and out of SF from the east coast. We'll probably get into LA around midnight on Monday/Tuesday and we need to check into Ventana Big Sur on Thursday. We will need Wifi most of the day Wednesday until around 4. We've never been to LA (outside of LAX).

Given that background, curious what others would do here: I see that there are two nights of standard availability at the WA Beverly Hills Monday-Wednesday. I was initially considering getting the WA for one night, then starting our drive north and staying in Santa Barbara the second night (Hilton Santa Barbara is available) and asking for late checkout around 5 PM there. However, given the 2 nights of availability and never having been to LA, I'm wondering if two nights in LA here would be better? And if so, would we likely be able to get late checkout that we need on Wednesday as Hilton Diamond?

Also, is this even a good place to stay for our first time in LA? We like good food and will likely want to at least check out Santa Monica pier, maybe some touristy stuff but unsure at the moment.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
But if you're redeeming points or a FNA here, prepare to be treated like a second-class citizen!
Not at all reflective of my experience nor anyone else I know who has used points or a free night certificate at this property. In fact, quite the opposite.
kthpence, Sydneyberlin and gudugan like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Not at all reflective of my experience nor anyone else I know who has used points or a free night certificate at this property. In fact, quite the opposite.
Same here, quite the opposite. And everyone has been super friendly and courteous throughout so I can only try to imagine what must have set up the so-called "dragon". Who knows, I wasn't there. But it certainly doesn't sound typical for this property.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sydneyberlin
Same here, quite the opposite. And everyone has been super friendly and courteous throughout so I can only try to imagine what must have set up the so-called "dragon". Who knows, I wasn't there. But it certainly doesn't sound typical for this property.
Agree. Front desk reaction often reflects guest demeanor. I think we’ve all seen the results, both positive and negative.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Overall we had a very nice stay. The property is beautiful and service was (mostly) excellent. We especially enjoyed breakfast in Jean-Georges, the extremely comfortable bed, and having the rooftop pool to ourselves on a Sunday morning.

The only negative was the extraordinarily arrogant and rude front desk manager (Tori). I booked 2 Queen Superior using Amex Free Night Award. Day before arrival, asked via chat if it would be possible to move to a 1 King. Tori responded that the request was noted, but that any change would be subject to availability. Okay, no problem I figured, since app was showing availability in pretty much every room type, including Deluxe King, which would be the standard one class upgrade.

We arrived around 2:45 Saturday afternoon. Tori checked us in. No mention of Diamond status, nor of any benefits (such as breakfast). She went to hand me keys, I asked what room we were in, she said 301. Having looked at the map, I knew this was pretty much the worst room on the property - lowest floor, no view, shared wall with the guest elevators. I politely asked whether any Diamond upgrades were available. She responded, "no there is no availability." I pointed out that the app showed availability in pretty every room category. She said "yes, but there is no upgrade availability." We went back and forth for a good five minutes over the claimed distinction between rooms for sale and upgrade availability. Finally she said "we have rooms available for paid upgrade . . . what are you looking for, a suite?" I said, "all I want is a king bed, out of the base room, and not next to the elevator." She finally relented and gave us a Deluxe King on the 11th floor, with the south view. She claimed that housekeeping was doing a "final check" on the room and it would be ready in a matter of minutes. This game went on for over an hour (well past check-in time) with her repeatedly making excuses why the room was not yet available. When she finally gave us the keys, her parting words were "and no late check-out." (Which was substantively fine, since we were planning to leave around 11 am anyway, but the delivery could hardly have been more offensive.)

Fortunately, once we were past Tori the dragon, everyone else was courteous and professional, and we really enjoyed the stay. But if you're redeeming points or a FNA here, prepare to be treated like a second-class citizen!
That's so interesting ... Tori actually checked me in for a stay in late February, and she was overwhelmingly kind and positive towards me. I wonder if she was just having a bad day?
DC9 and gudugan like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
That's so interesting ... Tori actually checked me in for a stay in late February, and she was overwhelmingly kind and positive towards me. I wonder if she was just having a bad day?
I'm curious - were you on points and were they willing to move you out of either the ADA or 2 Queen Superior?
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Agree. Front desk reaction often reflects guest demeanor. I think we’ve all seen the results, both positive and negative.
What a load of bs. I stay over a hundred nights a year in hotels and most experiences are positive. All my interactions with Tori were polite, even when she asserted a policy that flatly contradicts published program rules (and wouldn't even move us from a 2 Queen to a King).
Old May 3, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
One of the best parts about the property is that they generally treat all guests excellently, whether that means guests that redeemed points or guests that pay thousands for suites. What they don't do, however, is fawn over status, which is fine IMO.

If Tori is a small blonde lady, she has treated me well during my stays as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.